Help in Upgrading

Status
Not open for further replies.

anshul_sood

Broken In
I have a motherboard

Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
Model 8VD667
Chipset Model 845G/GL/GV Brookdale Host-Hub Interface Bridge (A1-step)
Cpu Socket Socket 478
Processor Upgrade ZIF Socket
Max CPU Speed 3066 MHz

with a P4 4.66ghz with 8 KB L1 and 512 KB L2 cache

I have a PC2100 256 MB RAM

I wish to upgrade these components with a budget of about Rs. 7,000
Please help me.

Kush6

Broken In
4.66GHz?? Thats a massive overclock for a P4! How are you cooling that thing??????
For that budget - I suggest you get 2Gb RAM and maybe a new processor - but your board won't support LGA775 Socket CPUs will it? So how are you running a p4? I thought those were also 775 - not sure about this one. You might also consider a grahics card in case you don't have one. Get the RAM though.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
I have a motherboard

Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
Model 8VD667
Chipset Model 845G/GL/GV Brookdale Host-Hub Interface Bridge (A1-step)
Cpu Socket Socket 478
Processor Upgrade ZIF Socket
Max CPU Speed 3066 MHz

with a P4 4.66ghz with 8 KB L1 and 512 KB L2 cache

I have a PC2100 256 MB RAM

I wish to upgrade these components with a budget of about Rs. 7,000
Please help me.

A p4 OC'ed all the way to 4.66.GHz..wow...are you sure..or were you trying to type...2.66 Ghz..! Sockett 478 were for Prescott Cores...

You could upgrade RAM though DDR is expensive now..since it is produced less..!

A 1 GB module is ~ Rs2100-Rs2500.
Can also go in for a low end GFX card.

arvi87

Right off the assembly line
4.66 GHz??!! where in the world did u get tht man!! tht thing must be like a furnace!! anyawys chuck out the old processor and get a core 2 duo and change the motherboard along wid it.. i suggest an intel 945 cghl.. works well with me.. and if u acn squeeze in a thousand more get a 1 gig ram.. tht shud do.. wait for the graphics card.. their prices are bound to come down in a few months..
:!:

bikdel

Alpha Geek Banned
That must be a typo. A prescott cant reach that unless on heavy duty water cooling, or liquid N2 for that matter. Also, if Oc'ed, he'd hav mentioned it like (default speed) @ 4.66. He probably meant 2.66.

U need complete overhaul dude. No point in goin for ddr1 now.

Get this;
2gb ddr2 800 mhz - rs2100
e2160 1.8 ghz - 2700
biostar n7050 mobo-2200
gud vfm, gr8 onboard for its price.
If u need a gfx card, increase ur budget n go for mercury 8600gt 256 ddr3.
u can also oc the proccy to 2.8 on this board easily.

Last edited:

Kush6

Broken In
Yeah, I figure it is a typo - but he might not be able to pusha full blown overhaul right now - budget limitations. In that case, he might just get some RAM and overhaul when he has some cash. Not sure he can find DDR1 RAM easily though. Try the digit bazzar.

Last edited:

johnjjx

Ambassador of Buzz
+1 i agree to bikdel. He needz total chng investin in ram n agp is waste on dis setup. Sel of ur pc. N get wt bikdel suggestd. Ddr2 2gb Rams wil cost u 1.8k

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
DDR1 is available..at least Nehru Place, New Delhi has it..but expensive. Best bet...for upgrade within..7K...RAM+GFX..

By the way..we all forgot to ask him...
"Anshul...what you want to do with the upgrade..?.In your current set up..what are you not happy with...are you a gamer...or some specific application/s (name..???)..which are/is running below performance and your not satisfied with...OR...what you plan to do with your system..???

Let us know..?

johnjjx

Ambassador of Buzz
^^wud b waste 2 go fr gfx+ram. 845 has agp slot. Which r costly n nt easily available. Fr 7k he can get whole new dual core setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom