Help in getting a desktop for Photoshop based photo editing

csourav

Broken In
Help in getting a desktop (Budget 25K) for Photoshop based photo editing

Dear all,
Please help me decide in buying a desktop. I have been using laptops for last 7 years, but now want to buy a desktop. Should I go for assembeled or branded?

Questions:
1. What is your MAX budget: Around 25 K (Include 20' monitor pls)
2. Are you open to alternate ideas/products giving similar better performance but offering more VFM/ sellers: Yes, but would like a Core i3.
3. What is the purpose of the computer: Mostly photo editing in Photoshop CS3 and general purpose (browsing, word processing etc)
4. Planning to overclock: No
5. Which OS are you planning to use: Window 7
6. How much hard drive space is needed: 500 GB
7. What resolution will the screen run at: 20"
8. How would you rate your hardware knowledge from the count of 1-10: 5
9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler: I have never built, will be built by assembler
10. When are you planning to buy the system: In one month
11. Are you one of the types looking out for "future proof" configurations: Absolutely, yes
12. Are there going to be any components that you don't want to include in this new rig: No need for webcam
13. Which city do you live in and are you open to buying from shops from other city/states? Kolkata
14. Mention any other points if deemed necessary: No

Thanks a lot !!

Regards,
csourav

Last edited:

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
Athlon II X4 635 2.9GHz @ 5k
Biostar TA785G3 HD @ 4.2k
2*2 GB DDR3 1333MHz @ 5.2k
WD Caviar Blue 500GB @ 2k
FSP saga II 400W @ 2k
CM elite 310 @ 1.5k

Total - 19.9k

If you game you can add a graphics card with rest of the money..

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
12. Are there going to be any components that you don't want to include in this new rig: No need for webcam

usually webcam not included in desktop builds :mrgreen:

Athlon II X4 635 2.9GHz @ 5k
Biostar TA785G3 HD @ 4.2k
2*2 GB DDR3 1333MHz @ 5.2k
FSP saga II 400W @ 2k
CM elite 310 @ 1.5k

Total - 19.9k

If you game you can add a graphics card with rest of the money..

nice one but i think you missed a very important part: OP needs monitor as well with 25k !!!

so i'll do a bit of changing here:

Athlon II X4 620/630 2.9GHz @ 4.5k-4.7k
Biostar TA785G3 HD @ 4k (available in many places for such low price)
2*2 GB DDR3 1333MHz @ 5.2k (adata ram will be even cheaper i think)
FSP saga II 400W @ 2k (if no upgrade in future. i mean no graphics card, get the 350W version. but don't risk your PC on a cheap local PSU)
Zeb bijli (without PSU) @ 1.2k
Benq G2020HD @ 6.5k

Total - 24.9k (inc X4 630 & 350W Saga II costing 1.5k)

OP
C

csourav

Broken In
Thanks for the response!

One question, the dealer quoted me 9.5K for Core i3 and Intel H55 combined.

Athlon II X4 630 and Biostar TA785G3 HD togethor costs 8.7K. So, for Rs800/- more, will it be a better idea to go with i3 and Intel H55?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
csourav

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
core i3 a dual core with ht but 635 an quad core and much more future proof...it is much much better in multithreaded apps and there is difference of only 6-7 fps in gaming(oc it to reduce this diff. also)....its more vfm.

OP
C

csourav

Broken In
Thanks Sam,Jaskanwar!
I see that you have not included a graphics card. Will it not be a problem running Photoshop CS3 without a dedicated graphics card?

If I can increase budget by 3-4K after 6 months, should I buy a graphics card then?

Regards,
csourav

bobby23

Broken In
the Biostar TA785G3 HD has inbuilt graphics card ATI radeon hd 4200 which has 512MB of shared memory which is sufficient for Photoshop CS3 as the minimum system requirement for Photoshop CS5 is 256MB VRAM. But if you want to add a graphics card you can go for ATI Radeon HD 5450 for 4.5k or Radeon HD 5550 (do not know the price) or Radeon HD 5570 for approximately 6k.

Last edited:
OP
C

csourav

Broken In
Thanks.
I need a good retailer to assemble the parts for me.
1. Any suggestions on where to buy at Kolkata? Also, do these retailers provide any kind of service, if required in future? This will be my first assembled PC, so am bit concerned on where to get help if something goes wrong.
2. If I need to use bluetooth and wireless LAN, any specific hardware components I'll need to buy?
3. Is Benq good for monitor? If I can increase budget by 2K, should I go for Samsung (better product and service)?

Regards,
csourav

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
the prices bobby 23 mentioned are way too high
hd5570 is not available for 6k even hd5670 is 5.2k
hd 5570 and hd5550 are available between 4.5 - 5k mark
hd 5450 @ 3.5k

IMO onboard graphics will suffice

if you want to increase your budget for monitor get BenQ 22" G2220 FULL HD LCD Monitor @ 7.5k

OP
C

csourav

Broken In
Can anyone provide any help with below questions please?

1. If I need to use bluetooth and wireless LAN, any specific hardware components I'll need to buy?
2. Any suggestions on where to buy at Kolkata? Also, do these retailers provide any kind of service, if required in future? This will be my first assembled PC, so am bit concerned on where to get help if something goes wrong.

Regards,
csourav

OP
C

csourav

Broken In
I visited a reputed computer shop, and they don't have the Benq G2220. Instead they suggested me to buy Samsung B2230 at Rs7,950/-. Is this monitor a good buy?

---------- Post added at 04:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:30 PM ----------

Also, they don't have Nzxt Gamma, and suggested to buy Zebronics Reaper. Should I buy Reaper or stick to CM Elite 310?

OP
C

csourav

Broken In
Guys,
Thanks to all your suggestions, I finaly bought below components for total 30K.

Athlon II X4 635 4.4k
Biostar TA785G3 HD 3.9k
OCZ 2 GB DDR3 1333MHz 2.5k
LG DVD RW 1k
Seagate 500GB 2k
Corsair VX450 4k
Zeb Antibiotech 2k
Samsung B2230 Full HD 8k
DVI cable 0.3k
Extra Cooler master 120mm fan 0.5k
Logitech multimedia Keyboard 0.3k
Tax 1k
---------------------------------------
Total 30K

Now, I'm on the lookout for a set of speakers for 1-2K, and a wireless lan adapter. Any suggestions?

Regards.

Top Bottom