HELP HELP HELP!! PC hangs VEEEEERY often

Status
Not open for further replies.

rave_2600

Broken In
My pc seems to hang while playing any game now! dont know what problem it is, but definately not overheating. config as follows:
CPU: AMD athlon 64 3000+ (939 pin)
Motherboard: MSI RS480 M2
Ram: Kingmax DDR400 512 MB x2
Hard disk: Seagate 120 Gb SATA
Floppy: Sony 1.44 MB.
Graphics: XFX Geforce 6600 256 Mb pci-e
Modem: D-link 56 Kbps pci modem
disk drive: Samsung DVD RW dual layer
Monitor: Philips 19" 109E5.
Mouse: Microsoft Basic optical mouse
Keyboard: Microsoft internet keyboard
Cabinet: I-box with 400W smps(unbranded)
Speakers: Creative 2.1 inspire
UPS: Microtek heritage 600 (not installed)

surendiran

Right off the assembly line
hi,
1. check which directx version u r using. Use directx >8.0
2. Check for Virtual memory setting in ur Windows settings(control panel ->system-> advanced)
Give twice ur RAM amount as Virtual memory.

3. When did u the game hangs...after 1 hr or within few minutes?
4. Whether it happens only for games or with other s/w also?
5. Goto system bios, load the "system default value"or "Bios defaults".(this is restore the system spec, if u had changed anything in bios or overclocked ur processor).

mohit

The Hardware Labs
:arrow: Check your RAM using memtest86. get it from www.memtest86.com

:arrow: Update all drivers and your BIOS also.

:arrow: Try changing the SMPS.

:arrow: Also try a reinstall with all latest drivers if nothing works.

AlienTech

In the zone
//Cabinet: I-box with 400W smps(unbranded) //

#1 problem...

So go into bios and DISABLE AMD cool and quiet entry page 3-20... Also select fail safe mode page 3-24.

MSI reminds you to plug your ram into DIMM1 if you are using this cool and quiet function...

This can also happen if the mother board cant decide the proper CAS to use for the RAM. Is it CAS2 (CL2) or CAS3 (CL3) ram? I have noticed them using slower ram chips in CL3 mode to get it to run as DDR400. Even though the ram is supposedly only DDR333.

sidewinder

Ambassador of Buzz
AlienTech said:

#1 problem...

So go into bios and DISABLE AMD cool and quiet entry page 3-20... Also select fail safe mode page 3-24.

MSI reminds you to plug your ram into DIMM1 if you are using this cool and quiet function...

This can also happen if the mother board cant decide the proper CAS to use for the RAM. Is it CAS2 (CL2) or CAS3 (CL3) ram? I have noticed them using slower ram chips in CL3 mode to get it to run as DDR400. Even though the ram is supposedly only DDR333.

Can u explain this a bit further! I eager to know.

OP
R

rave_2600

Broken In
Dudes i use direct x 9.0c, windows xp sp2.
the game hangs unpredictably at any time- 5 min inot game or not at all.
I really cant figure out how to use memtest 86!!
Dear alien tech thats really great advice but can u make it a little simpler?
Thank for that guys

sunnys

Broken In
how much amps your psu can deliver at diff. rails(3.3,5.0,12.0).
it is written on an sticker on ur psu.
low amps can be a problem.

AlienTech

In the zone
sidewinder said:
AlienTech said:

#1 problem...

----------------

Can u explain this a bit further! I eager to know.

Which part?

I have found that power supplies can lock up a machines unpredictably. I have tried changing mother boards and getting a good mother board helps but the problem does not go away. So instead of every few hours it happens every few days. In the end I had to try a few different power supplies to fix it. There are always inductive spikes on the power lines. Thats where some fan is running and it sends spikes up the line. Especially if you live in an apartment complex, every AC that comes on will lock up the machine. A UPS will greatly help since the power don't directly go into the SMPS but goes through a transformer but it still does go through but it is greatly suppressed. Spike suppressors etc dont seem to help much. Dont know much else on how to fix it other than get a new machine with all new parts. Which is how I usually fix this :) as I dont have that much time to track it down and need a working machine right away.

The other stuff I don't know much about other than it is what is recommended. The AMD quiet and cool will change the power requirements when ever the CPU changes load conditions and some power supplies cant handle it. The RAM stuff is designed to work within tolerances and they will get by for the most part until a weak link develops and it locks the machine up. Which is why over clocking will work for the most part but you will experience periodic lockups at unexpected times.

AlienTech

In the zone
rave_2600 said:
Dear alien tech thats really great advice but can u make it a little simpler?

Get a decent branded power supply
if that dont work
change your ram for rated branded stuff.
if that dont work
change your mother board.

Its not like this is an easy thing to fix. But I would hook up the UPS and see if that helps first.

OP
R

rave_2600

Broken In
the ups is hooked up but doesnt have the installation feature.
Tried diabling cool n quiet but doesnt help either.
my SMPs is 20 pin but the board supports 24 pin is that the problem??????

rkb2005

Broken In
Hi Rave_2600,
I think we are on the same boat(though its leaking!)
My conf is almost similar to you except for the 3200+ processor. I bought it very recently and started facing the problems(computer restatrs/hangs or game is terminated prematurely giving an "Access violation!" error!)Initially I also thought its processor overheating,but it not the case...I am pretty sure its some incompatibility problem with the integrated ATI Radeon 200 series chipset!!
One activity that you can do to make it sure that what I've said is correct, is to set h/w acceleration to none and play some game..although you wont be able to play any hi-end games but the PC wont give problems now!! Moreover even if you play movies you willface the same problem if you have selected the "ATI Radeon 200" as ur device to play movies.When your system is not using "ATI Radeon 200" as your graphics accelerator, you wont face any problem, ie doing anything other than watching movies or playing hi-end games wont restart your PC.

I even installed the latest drivers from the internet ,but the problem persists.I tried to use the h/w troubleshooter also but of no use.

Moreover I'm not convinced with the solutions given here!(People pls excuse me!!)

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
take antec psu
try with diff ram
check ram etc
check psu ratings
take 6600gt 128mb instead of geforce 6600,much better,though this is for performance

darklord

Cyborg Agent
Well the ATI Bullhead chipset is quite new and ATI isnt too experienced at making chipsets,still its a decent enough chipset.
Also teh drivers are also in its early stages.May be later revisions could solve the problems.

Mahesh Babu

Journeyman
darklord said:
Well the ATI Bullhead chipset is quite new and ATI isnt too experienced at making chipsets,still its a decent enough chipset.
Also teh drivers are also in its early stages.May be later revisions could solve the problems.
All u guyz here give this guy a big clap

darklord

Cyborg Agent
Why ? what is so objectionable about my post here ?

Is it false? if so please do correct me,i would be very happy.

AlienTech

In the zone
darklord said:
Why ? what is so objectionable about my post here ?

Is it false? if so please do correct me,i would be very happy.

You are correct, But ATI is the most experienced GFX maker out there currently. Actually the most experienced would be company that bought Hercules if any of their original techs are still with them, but ATI has problems with their display driver is hard to believe. MSI uses chips other than ATI on its boards, like the problem I found with the LAN chip going to 100% CPU usage with XP2 updates.

This could be driver problem, most likely with an update that is not completely checked out by Microsoft to be entirely compatible.

cybershastri

Journeyman
Ok I had similar problem. First I thought it was my graphics card. Then I came to know that one of the RAM slots was diffective. So I inserted one RAM stick into other slot. Try it!! Might help you.

AlienTech

In the zone
You cant swap ram slots just like that. This is a DUAL channel memory board so there needs to be 2 sticks of memory adjacent to each other. Should be in the slots closest to the CPU since it runs 2-3% faster than the other 2 slots. Using just 1 memory in each dual channel slots would loose you another 10% in performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.