[HELP]Dual boot Windows 7 with Windows 8 in HP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

©mß

Journeyman
First, I have googled on this topic but not getting answers (might be my fault). So, now need your help.
Windows 8 came pre-installed with my HP laptop.
Now I want to dual boot Windows 7 but the wizard says something like "one or more dynamic volumes that are not supported for installation".
I created a new partition using disk management but same problem.
Is there something like I should not have more than 3 partitions for installation?
Do I have to change the dynamic volume to basic(something like that)?
Guide me through this please.

Parts.PNG

- - - Updated - - -

Please help.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
there is your problem,win 7 install requires basic not dynamic hdd(all partitions are either basic or dynamic).

download & install this to convert your hdd to basic but such procedures are always risky so backup your important data in some other hdd/pendrive first.
Free partition manager software download - EaseUS Partition Master Free

btw something was not right about your pre-installed win 8 on a dynamic hdd,either it was tempered by shop guys or someone from your side to create new/resize partition(in my experience using windows disk management to resize partitions will convert hdd to dynamic especially in laptops).

OP
©mß

©mß

Journeyman
I tired it, and it's stuck at Checking C drive
Something like that
and it is stuck there and laptop is lagging when it is in this position.

OP
©mß

©mß

Journeyman
Around 1.5hrs
Screen was turned off and when I tired to wake the screen, nothing happened then I had to force shutdown the laptop.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can suggest a complicated & risky way for dynamic to basic conversion but i am suggesting just to format the hdd as basic by booting from some bootable cd/pendrive of some partition manager like gparted.
Dynamic to Basic [Solved] - Hard Drives - Storage

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
like i said earlier hdd can either be basic or dynamic so obviously you have to format entire hdd which will delete all partitions.

Mr.Kickass

In the zone
Just keep your recovery disk ready, in the event that anything goes wrong, so you could at least perform a restore (factory reset). I have an HP Laptop, so I know it comes handy. You have to create it first, or you might have been supplied with one. Either way, just keep it ready.

You'll get it here BTW

*i.imgur.com/4tW6Ytm.png?1

This will show up if you have created it already (I have)

*i.imgur.com/aWD5205.jpg?1

The process might be similar in Windows 8, and I'm sure you'll get around to it.

EDIT: Fixed. Didn't know that forum attachments have broken.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom