help buying graphics card!

Ishank

Right off the assembly line
Guys I am new to this forum (before I was using hardware heaven's forum). I want to buy a graphics card and my budget is about rs.5500. I preffer to buy nvidia cards so I am wondering for gt440 1gb gddr5. Before I was using xfx 8600gt xxx edition. So I want card faster than this one. Is gt440 faster? And my cpu is quad q8400 @2.66Ghz.ram is 4gb ddr2 @800Mhz and motherboard is intel's dg43nb.........don't know much about my psu!

MegaMind

Human Spambot
@Ishank, Welcome to TDF...
Let us know abt ur PSU pls...
At ur budget, MSI R6670-MD1GD5 @ 5.5K s the best...
ter s no good nvidia card equivalent to 6670 at ur price range, but t requires a PCI-e pow connector...

OP
I

Ishank

Right off the assembly line
But guys I want nvidia cards only and my psu is not so good.It's of iball and of 400w only acc. to them but after that I discovered that it is only of about 350w. but it serves my old 8600gt well.

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
@Ishank

Well in that case, 6670 is way to go. It's the next gen competitor of 5670 which don't need an external power connector and even if you are going for a low end card, it's not safe to work with that crappy iBall PSU.

You only best bet is 6670 @ 5.5k.

To play safe, get 5670 @ 4.5k and FSP Saga II 400W @ 1.7k ( FSP SAGA II 400 )

Total = 6.2k, exceeds your budget by 700bucks, but worth it. At least you can be at safer side and no need to worry that your crappy PSU will give up someday and may cause GPU go bad.

It's upto you now.

Still if you are that arrogant type and don't listen to anyone and always stand by one chioce, then if you can, get 9600/9800GT Green Edition (used) and use it. But still it's not safe to go for.

Cilus

laborare est orare
Everything is put correctly by Furius_Gamer. In your budget most of the nVidia cards like GT 430, GT 530, GT 440 (Dx11), GT 240 (Dx10), 9600 GT (DX10) basically crap and power hungry and your Intex PSU simply can't handle it.

HD 5670 offers performance almost same level of 9800GT but consumes a lot less power and generates a lot less heat. HD 6670 is a king for the price and power consumption.

Piyush

Lanaya
if you really need Nvidia card, then you have to change your power supply too because your PSU cant handle it....no chance......

and if i were you, i would have gone for HD 6670 eyes closed
because
-->no need of external power connector
--> hell lot of better performer than GT 440 or any card like that

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ Ishank - if you want to get a Nvidia card then get GTS450 at-least though you have to stretch your budget by 1k for that anyway.

BTW, what is your current PSU ??

Cilus

laborare est orare
A 340W Iball PSU with nVidia GTS or GT cards. Those cards are power hungry monsters compared to the performance they offer and will surely bun your PSU.

So HD 5670 is the safest option here. However, I suggest you at least get a 600W generic PSU from Oddessy or Zebronics @ RS 500 - RS 700. Although they are not the best choice but better than your 350W crap and can handle HD 5670 or HD 6670.

Piyush

Lanaya
yes agreed with cilus
if going for a local PSU, then it should be at least 500W or more as these PSUs dont deliver what they are rated actually

shayem

In the zone
Guys I am new to this forum (before I was using hardware heaven's forum). I want to buy a graphics card and my budget is about rs.5500. I preffer to buy nvidia cards so I am wondering for gt440 1gb gddr5. Before I was using xfx 8600gt xxx edition. So I want card faster than this one. Is gt440 faster? And my cpu is quad q8400 @2.66Ghz.ram is 4gb ddr2 @800Mhz and motherboard is intel's dg43nb.........don't know much about my psu!

If you are going to 3D or want to stick with brand name then go for nVidia or else go for HD6670 with your eye closed.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
he already replied here:

thanks for pointing out.

A 340W Iball PSU with nVidia GTS or GT cards. Those cards are power hungry monsters compared to the performance they offer and will surely bun your PSU.

So HD 5670 is the safest option here. However, I suggest you at least get a 600W generic PSU from Oddessy or Zebronics @ RS 500 - RS 700. Although they are not the best choice but better than your 350W crap and can handle HD 5670 or HD 6670.

yes agreed with cilus
if going for a local PSU, then it should be at least 500W or more as these PSUs dont deliver what they are rated actually

with a 350W PSU from such vanilla company would deliver around 15-16 Amps on it's +12V rail and what about capacitor aging ??

So I think it's better for OP to get a new PSU - something like FSP SAGA II /400 or 500W and that's enough to run his system with a good gfx card.

Top Bottom