Help buying a new notebook around 50k

skepticmuggle

Broken In
Hi,

I am looking to buy a notebook around 50k. The models I am currently looking at are

1. HP Pavillion M6
2. Samsung 550P5C
3. Lenovo Z580
4. Inspiron SE series

My main requirement is a top notch display (the best under 55k). My gaming requirements are secondary.
I was really interested in Samsung 550p5c, but have read that its contrast ratio is too low(121:1) and a friend said the movie experience is not the best because of this. Right now, my favorite is the HP model, but I am open to more information..

Also, since its 2012 Q3, is there any models coming out at this time of the year so that I should wait before purchasing?

Really appreciate is someone is able to guide me...

Thanks!

acewin

Point Blanc
Sony VAIO SVE15117FN Laptop (2nd Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 640GB/ Win7 HP/ 2GB Graph) vs HP Envy 6-1002TX Sleekbook 3rd Gen Ci5/4GB/500GB/2GB Graphics/Win 7HB vs HP Pavilion M6-1005tx Laptop (3rd Gen Ci5/ 6GB/ 750GB/ Win 7 HP/ 2GB Graph) vs Asus K53SM-SX010D Lap

sony displays are good, none of the model suggested have Full HD display, and have simimar contrast ratio between 180-190, sony model maybe around 210
will not suggest M6 over envy

rider

as Kratos
Get the hp pavilion laptop it has really great after sales support and onsite service with accidental care protection. The above Sony vaio SVE15117FN is completely overpriced and heavy (2.70 kg). It has poor AMD Radeon HD 7650M and old 2nd generation core-i5 processor of 2011 that sony is putting in its new laptop for making money.

webgenius

Ambassador of Buzz
Sony VAIO SVE15117FN Laptop (2nd Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 640GB/ Win7 HP/ 2GB Graph) vs HP Envy 6-1002TX Sleekbook 3rd Gen Ci5/4GB/500GB/2GB Graphics/Win 7HB vs HP Pavilion M6-1005tx Laptop (3rd Gen Ci5/ 6GB/ 750GB/ Win 7 HP/ 2GB Graph) vs Asus K53SM-SX010D Lap

sony displays are good, none of the model suggested have Full HD display, and have simimar contrast ratio between 180-190, sony model maybe around 210

I would suggest M6 over Envy any time. Envy6 does not have a VGA port. So you cannot connect your laptop to a projector or an external monitor. Also it lacks an optical drive. Initially I was deciding between M6 and Envy 6, and finally decided to get the M6. M6 is nothing but Envy 6 with additional ports and optical drives. Battery backup is the same for both (Company promised:8 hours, Actual: 6 hours under Wifi with continuous browing).

There is nothing special about the Sony model. It is over-weight, has very less battery backup, and lacks beats audio. And more over it has 2nd gen Core i5 and not 3rd Generation.

@skepticmuggle: Go and have a look at the M6 in the store. You'll really love it. It is pretty sleek, display is decent (but lacks matte finish like the Samsung models), weights 2.4KG, amazing audio clarity, and excellent battery backup. I felt it like an all-in-one package. My only complaint is that the screen would have been made matte instead of glossy finish. But then, over 90% of recent laptops come with glossy finish.

Last edited:

rider

as Kratos
@skepticmuggle: Go and have a look at the M6 in the store. You'll really love it. It is pretty sleek, display is decent (but lacks matte finish like the Samsung models), weights 2.4KG, amazing audio clarity, and excellent battery backup. I felt it like an all-in-one package. My only complaint is that the screen would have been made matte instead of glossy finish. But then, over 90% of recent laptops come with glossy finish.
Heyy webgenuis! did you bought pavilion m6? and how much battery you are getting?

webgenius

Ambassador of Buzz
Heyy webgenuis! did you bought pavilion m6? and how much battery you are getting?

@rider: I haven't bought it yet. Will be buying it this weekend.
My friend has the M6 silver model. He is getting 6+ hours backup under Wifi with browsing + movies + audio. He said he was able to watch 4 movies once before the laptop went to sleep mode due to low battery.

rider

as Kratos
@rider: I haven't bought it yet. Will be buying it this weekend.
My friend has the M6 silver model. He is getting 6+ hours backup under Wifi with browsing + movies + audio. He said he was able to watch 4 movies once before the laptop went to sleep mode due to low battery.
wow! man it sounds a rocking laptop again by hp. Please do review of your laptop in show off thread after purchasing. :)

webgenius

Ambassador of Buzz
wow! man it sounds a rocking laptop again by hp. Please do review of your laptop in show off thread after purchasing. :)

Sure. Waiting for the weekend. Got a quote from Reliance Digital for 54.9k. I got a discount coupon for 1000 bucks for Reliance Digital now. So I can grab this laptop for 53.9k.
Will surely do a review once I get it this Saturday.

OP
S

skepticmuggle

Broken In
Hey guys.. thanks a lot for the replies!!!

Yea.. so far I have heard only positive reviews about the M6.. Looks pretty cool to me..

Yea, heard it has all the basics covered. Guess, I gotta live with the glossy display.. but I heard someone say that glossy displays are better to watch movies and stuff ([provided there is no reflections, ofcourse!) since the colours are more vivid and clear.. Since I am a movie buff, anything that has better colour rendition is fine by me.. And I am sure the display will be infinitely better than my current netbook (toshiba NB250!!)

OP
S

skepticmuggle

Broken In
Get the hp pavilion laptop it has really great after sales support and onsite service with accidental care protection. The above Sony vaio SVE15117FN is completely overpriced and heavy (2.70 kg). It has poor AMD Radeon HD 7650M and old 2nd generation core-i5 processor of 2011 that sony is putting in its new laptop for making money.

Hey Rider.. thanks for the feedback.. Yes, I have also heard good reviews about Sony service in India..

My main confusion was between M6 and Samsung 550.. Can you please help me with that ? Which one should I choose of the two? Gaming is not that important for me.. but I do lots of multimedia stuff..

Does the low contrast ratio (121:1) of Samsung 550 affect picture clarity and details ?
I heard that the M6 doesn't overheat that much, but heard a lot of complaints of 550 overheating...

Any help would be really appreciated..as I am going to buy the lap this weekend.. (I am leaning more towards Pavilion M6.. I really liked everything about it.. But is it overpriced? )

Hi Acewin.. thanks for the link...the main reason I link M6 more than Envy is that Envy ir priced better than M6.. i really cant afford anything over 55k..

Oh!! I only just noticed the Envy 6- 1003tx price!! Its lower than M6 in the link...

@Webgenius - Should I consider the Envy 6 too ? yes, the optical drive is a huge need for me.. but other than that and VGA.. does the Envy 6 has anything better to offer than the M6 ?

webgenius

Ambassador of Buzz
@skepticmuggle: If you're not into games, I suggest that you get the M6. There have been multiple complaints about 550P. When you're spending out half a lakh for a device, it is better to get the safest and the most reliable one. HP laptops do not get hot now with HP's CoolSense technology. When I checked the M6 display piece in the store, I was surprised to see it was not even warm while other laptops nearby were warm/hot.

Your usage is similar to mine. I'm also not much into games. That is why I have decided to purchase the M6. Being sleek, light-weight and good battery backup really helps!

rider

as Kratos
Hey Rider.. thanks for the feedback.. Yes, I have also heard good reviews about Sony service in India..

My main confusion was between M6 and Samsung 550.. Can you please help me with that ? Which one should I choose of the two? Gaming is not that important for me.. but I do lots of multimedia stuff..

Does the low contrast ratio (121:1) of Samsung 550 affect picture clarity and details ?
I heard that the M6 doesn't overheat that much, but heard a lot of complaints of 550 overheating...

Any help would be really appreciated..as I am going to buy the lap this weekend.. (I am leaning more towards Pavilion M6.. I really liked everything about it.. But is it overpriced? )
If gaming performance doesn't matter to you. Get pavilion M6 for sure, though it comes with HD 7670M GPU that is good enough to play latest games in low or medium settings. Keep in mind pavilion M6 is a proper laptop and Envy 6 is an ultrabook with low power and performance ULV processors.

acewin

Point Blanc
beside M6 everything I have put is under 55K.
And if you go check in the market you will find it would also come under 55K, HP laptops are always priced more in stores like reliance digital or say flipkart than in local market.

@OP where are you at

OP
S

skepticmuggle

Broken In
@Rider.. Thanks!!

@acewin .. A friend of mine has a dealership. He says HP hiked the price and now it costs 55K. He might be able to offer some discount so I might be able to get it for 53K.. ( I am based in Kerala)

webgenius

Ambassador of Buzz
@acewin: You're missing out the point. Out of the 4 laptops in the Flipkart link, two have 2nd gen i5. It's better to get 3rd gen i5 when spending close to half a lakh.

@skepticmuggle: Looks like you and I will be purchasing on the same day. Good luck.

OP
S

skepticmuggle

Broken In
@webgenius: Good Luck!!

One more quick question: Does the 1002tx and 1005tx versions available in India have backlit keyboard by default or is it just optional? I cant seem to find that info anywhere...

acewin

Point Blanc
@webgenius you sure about it, what benefit you have in getting 3rd gen over 2nd gen, how huge is it. Its always and always price against performance.
Only Sony and Asus have 2nd gen, and idea was to suggest better display in the lappy

@OP, optional things are never available in HP in India :(
1005tx is better than 1002tx, as it has got 2 years warranty, extended warranty is very important.
And HP on its own internally has changed most of the warranty to onsite warranty in big cities. Rest only if said has onsite will have that therefore onsite warranty in the terms is very important

Top Bottom