Hello... Need a little help to pick up My first android

lll_aritra_lll

A siLLy mIllImEtEr loNGer
Hello everyone,

Its Aritra, a total newbie in android market.. I am planning to buy a mid range droid within 15k INR..

According to the guide....

1. Budget?

15k INR

2. Display type and size?

Size doesn't matter.. but looks is a factor.
Display type.. Amoled or Super Amoled preferable but i guess it won't fit my budget. so more bright and crisp.. it wd be better.

3. Form Factor? bar, slider, flip?

Full touch.. slider qwerty like HTC Desire Z is fine with me..

4. Preferred choice of brand?

Where I will get good support.. here in Kolkata

5. Preferred input method (QWERTY, touchscreen, numpad, touch-n-type).

Touch.. Capacitive.. Gorrila Glass is welcome

6. What camera option you want? Please specify need for flash, autofocus, front facing camera.

good picture quality of course.. 5mp is good. Autofocus is good but that should not blogged up. Front Facing camera is not important for me

7. Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).

Android

8. Preferred connectivity options (3G, Wifi etc)Please specify clearly.

3g, Wi-Fi hotspot, (DLNA will add extra feature) Edge, Bluetooth

9. Preferred applications (Flash, Swype, GPS, etc)?

Flash... Swype and GPS will be great

10. Primary use of handset (multimedia, camera, mails, internet, gaming etc)?

Multimedia.. Will use it more for listening music and snapping.. and Internet of course

11. Any specific mobile phones in consideration?

HTC Salsa

12. Any other info that you want to share

yes.. a few things I would like to share..
Its my first phone that I will buy in this range. and i had to use it for at least 2-3 years.. So android upgrade and support is important for me. and of course longibity

I was made my mind for LG Optimus One p500.. becuase I saw it has flash support.. later after few research I came to know from lg forum.. that only indian handsets are being sold with a declaration that it has flash support, but it doesn't have in reality.. and they do not have any support in india

Samsung galaxy ACE is another phone I consider but it fails in mainly 2 categories.. low resolution screen and lack of flash support.. though the interface is good and decent camera and music

Later I came to know about HTC Salsa.. which has almost everything i want.. except a pinkish camera..(has pink spot issue) and I use facebook a lot... and heard it has flash support too.. but recently i came to know that though it has 512 mb rom.. after all the customization it lefts only 122 mb(or less) free for user... and many people are complainig about it and trying to root it off.. but as of i read in forums, that v2.2 n v2.3 has the option to run sw from sd card.. little confused about that

I liked the little tweeks in HTC sence. and heard it releases update first..

the colored features are the most important factors I am looking for

Now its my first post here.. and a bit long.. But I really wish to get some help and keep in touch with you guys.. Thanks and Cheers!!

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
I was made my mind for LG Optimus One p500.. becuase I saw it has flash support.. later after few research I came to know from lg forum.. that only indian handsets are being sold with a declaration that it has flash support, but it doesn't have in reality.. and they do not have any support in india

Adobe Flash Player app in default browser

or checkout this screenshot of my Optimus One: *lh3.googleusercontent.com/-rjVhfTgWqfY/TmpToLVAV9I/AAAAAAAAAM0/o-B0rm5VJ1I/snap20110909_200739.png

possible only if you use custom ROM.

Samsung galaxy ACE is another phone I consider but it fails in mainly 2 categories.. low resolution screen and lack of flash support.. though the interface is good and decent camera and music

Ace & salsa have same 320X480 resolution screen & MSM7227 Turbo-1 processor i.e. both doesn't support flash, at least officially.

Later I came to know about HTC Salsa.. which has almost everything i want.. except a pinkish camera..(has pink spot issue) and I use facebook a lot... and heard it has flash support too.. but recently i came to know that though it has 512 mb rom.. after all the customization it lefts only 122 mb(or less) free for user... and many people are complainig about it and trying to root it off.. but as of i read in forums, that v2.2 n v2.3 has the option to run sw from sd card.. little confused about that

yes. it has very less internal memory but doesn't matter as apps/games/etc can be installed to memory card (need Android 2.2 or higher).

so if you want flash ready in browser & a mobile worth your cash, don't miss Motorola Defy. though the colour option is really limited but worth the investment.

OP
lll_aritra_lll

lll_aritra_lll

possible only if you use custom ROM.

It may sound silly, but I am a n00b. does custom rom has better interface than the installed one.. I mean can I put any official app that I like within the customization. Those apps are not open source I guess

Ace & salsa have same 320X480 resolution screen & MSM7227 Turbo-1 processor i.e. both doesn't support flash, at least officially.

according to GSMarena full review it said Salsa played flash pretty well in browser. Though TechRadar said it ran some flash videos..

yes. it has very less internal memory but doesn't matter as apps/games/etc can be installed to memory card (need Android 2.2 or higher).
that means I can try different apps on it considering it's low internal memory?
I heard that it has problem downloading apps from market because of low memory.. if I download the file in pc and transfer it to the device later.. Will it be able to function fully within its specific H/W capacity?

so if you want flash ready in browser & a mobile worth your cash, don't miss Motorola Defy. though the colour option is really limited but worth the investment.
Motorola Defy has v2.1 as of i heard. and motoblur is not available in India.. though its H/W support is good and its solid build.. did they released v2.3 for it.. and as of I heard there is no good support for Motorola in kolkata. Will it be worth my money?

Btwn, thanks for your reply Sam

NainO

Believe Me or Not!!!
lll_aritra_lll said:
It may sound silly, but I am a n00b. does custom rom has better interface than the installed one.. I mean can I put any official app that I like within the customization. Those apps are not open source I guess

Flashing custom roms mean unauthorized upgradation. It has nothing to do with the interface. Each rom comes with its own interface (some like it, some don't).
Note : Flashing custom roms void warranty, but still it is fun :)

Motorola Defy has great unofficial support(custom roms) but crapy official support.
BTW you can take a look at Xperia Mini Pro!

OP
lll_aritra_lll

lll_aritra_lll

yes I read the whole thread of defy yesterday and I am pretty much convinced with it. I am buying a smart phone and I can do anything I want so why wait for the official release...

HTC was in my fav list coz of HTC sense.. But the H/W support of defy is awesome.. I will look for similer forums of ACE and salsa (which i wont find I guess) and pick the best.

I am not sure about sony because everybody everywhere in forums screams when they heard the name.. :shock:

I liked sony's sound n cam quality a lot. but everyone else seems to have other openion. So i gave up on it :neutral:

ofabhishek

║ Green World ║
You can get Samsung Galaxy SL for only 15,900 (but only today) from ebay.... its from a trusted seller and is deal of the day....

hurry.. if u r satisfied with the spec of the phone

mukeshgupta

Broken In
Defy seems to be a good choice for your requirements.

Also have a look at Spice Mi-410. Comes at 12,999 and a great value for money.

OP
lll_aritra_lll

lll_aritra_lll

You can get Samsung Galaxy SL for only 15,900 (but only today) from ebay.... its from a trusted seller and is deal of the day....

hurry.. if u r satisfied with the spec of the phone

That was great.. providing it comes with amoled.. but on that very day i searched for it.. offer gone i guess

Also have a look at Spice Mi-410. Comes at 12,999 and a great value for money.

I saw it last week on city center.. and i found it a piece of crap.. poor display.. as well as they couldn't even able to give me a demo.. clicked on a widget and it was hanged...

it is available on saholic.com for 15.5k

Now I am in dillema :p
but only saholik has that price.. all other sites selling it around 18k.. they are even priced HTC Desire Z with Rs 17k :shock:

aroraanant

Explorer
Now I am in dillema :p
but only saholik has that price.. all other sites selling it around 18k.. they are even priced HTC Desire Z with Rs 17k :shock:

Saholic is a trusted website, it is of SPICE group.Many people on TDF has bought from it.So no worries I think.Though I also wonder how r they selling it at such a low price. :)

OP
lll_aritra_lll

lll_aritra_lll

That's a good price. Share your experience with the phone when u get a chance.
Check if you are getting the 12 months manufacturer's warranty

yes.. it is coming with 1 yr national warranty, original bill, and as sealed pack

Btwn if anyone has a good coupon for it, plz suggest.. COD isn't available.. will buy from UBI/SBI card

Top Bottom