Headphones for <2.5k. HD 202 II v/s HD 203.

ratul

█████████████████
Looking for some headphones in the price range <2.5k (strict) for listening music, mostly rock, metal, rap, hip-hop.
I do know that HD202II are the most suggested headphones in this price range, but i want to know are there any other options available?
What about HD203, they are in the same price range, but are they better than HD202II? Has anyone personally tried both? Heard that HD203 are more "boomy" HD202II with slightly recessed highs, is that true?

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
If you want to enjoy your music get a Philips at that price point. Invest in Senns only when your budget is over Rs 6500. Rest is up to you.

tubelight

Broken In
I've had the HD 203 for over a year now and they are fantastic. I haven't tried the 202 so I can't comment on that. I use my 203's to mostly listen to music at work and the sound quality is superb.

OP
ratul

ratul

█████████████████
Re: Headphones for &lt;2.5k. HD 202 II v/s HD 203.

And yeah, one more important factor: They should be comfortable to wear as i'd be wearing them all day in my office.

If you want to enjoy your music get a Philips at that price point. Invest in Senns only when your budget is over Rs 6500. Rest is up to you.

what model? can you please be more specific?

Checkout audio technica ath sj33. I bought it for 2k

reviews seem good, what about the build quality and comfort?
and i can find them for 2.4k @ Homeshop18.

The Incinerator

Human Spambot

And yeah, one more important factor: They should be comfortable to wear as i'd be wearing them all day in my office.

what model? can you please be more specific?

Let me have your specific budget and the specific genre you listen to with some specific sound signature that you like?

OP
ratul

ratul

█████████████████
Re: Headphones for &amp;lt;2.5k. HD 202 II v/s HD 203.

Let me have your specific budget and the specific genre you listen to with some specific sound signature that you like?

i think it's clearly mentioned in the first post.. :p

I use them everyday. Comfortable enough for watching movies.

It's cheaper on FLIPKART..

www.flipkart.com/audio-technica-ath-sj-33/p/itmd8yewzysknzep

well they strike a good deal to me, but let's wait for some more suggestions, also what's the warranty on them and is claiming it easy or the service centers are scarce for AT?

.jRay.

Youngling
Re: Headphones for &amp;lt;2.5k. HD 202 II v/s HD 203.

well they strike a good deal to me, but let's wait for some more suggestions, also what's the warranty on them and is claiming it easy or the service centers are scarce for AT?

Been using them for over three months now. No problem whatsoever, i don't know about the service centres but there is a store in mumbai which handles replacements. I asked them about it

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
Get the Philips SHP 8900. If you want to know where to find them and interested PM me. They are as good as Rs 4K Senns. The Senns you are looking at are not musical at all,but this philips does both Detail and Rythm.

OP
ratul

ratul

█████████████████

Get the Philips SHP 8900. If you want to know where to find them and interested PM me. They are as good as Rs 4K Senns. The Senns you are looking at are not musical at all,but this philips does both Detail and Rythm.

wow, they look quite good, but it seems that the cable they provide is of very inferior quality, is it true?
Philips shp 8900

and yeah though they seem to be a very good deal, they are discontinued since a very long time..

gameranand

Living to Play
I have used both HD202 and HD203 and I would suggest you to go for 202, 203 have more bass which is not needed as 202 already has plenty so 203 sounded kinda awkward to me after listening to 202.

The Incinerator

Human Spambot

wow, they look quite good, but it seems that the cable they provide is of very inferior quality, is it true?
Philips shp 8900

and yeah though they seem to be a very good deal, they are discontinued since a very long time..

You are referring to two users odd situation. I never had a problem for 1 year and after that I did my own cable mod.Im thinking to buy one more pair now!!!

OP
ratul

ratul

█████████████████
Thanks for all your suggestions guys, finally ordered Philips SHP8900, as they looked the best and seems to sound the best amongst all mentioned here.. :D

OP
ratul

ratul

█████████████████
Ok, i got my SHP8900 today.. :mrgreen: :hyper:..

Sorry for low-res images, don't have a proper cam here.. :(
*i.imgur.com/69w7AJr.jpg
*i.imgur.com/uJhUdcb.jpg
*i.imgur.com/wwFAVWL.jpg
*i.imgur.com/wtuhKFX.jpg

First impression: Huge... :shock:, these headphones are huge, and bulky, quite heavy, but the cushioning is pretty good, which makes them pretty comfy to wear, though still you feel a slight heaviness on your head while wearing them, but it's still bearable, let's see if they'd be comfortable for the whole day in office... :p

Sound quality: Source: My Dell 15R Turbo, all songs are MP3 320kbps or FLAC's, Movies tested are 5.1ch Blu-Ray..

Though have only heard 2-3hrs on them and they might need some burnin, but initial impression is not that good, soundstage is definitely better than HD202II (tested them in Reliance Digital), but bass is less than HD202II, it's plenty and sufficient, but still less than HD202II, which sometimes kills the immersion in rock music, guitars and drum sometimes sounds muffled, don't know how it could be, but the same track sounds brilliant on my E10, i think i expected too much from these, let's see how they improve with burnin, or would they? :-?

Movies though were a total different story, sound was properly channelized, action scenes were hell good to watch, it was like i was sitting in a dolby digital theater, plenty of bass with each bullet sound separate and crystal clear, what i am getting in movies is what i expected in songs as well, but i don't know why i am not getting that soundstage in songs, maybe you can guide me Incinerator.

First impression, overall better than HD202II, but still not what i expected.. :( (maybe i expected too much when i saw their comparison with HD598.. :twisted:)

Rest detailed review would be posted after proper burnin and after i get used to them.. (Though i now find my E10 much better than HD202II or these, guess my ears are used to their sound.. :p)

The Incinerator

Human Spambot

Burn them in for 50/100Hrs Continuous atleast/ The sound will open up quite a lot. And the burn in should be in moderate volume levels toward the first 50Hrs. They sound their best when used with a Headphone amp and clean FLAC recordings atleast. Play your songs through Foobar with WASAPI installed. Let me know if I have been of any help. OP these are one of the best headphones money can buy. Just give them some time.They are way better than a Senn HD202/203. This Philips is all about accuracy.If your recording is bad it will play bad if its good it will play good. If you are in to Rock play some tracks from Sum41,Jet,The White Stripes,Avenged 7 Fold etcetc and some Jack Johnson and Feist ......etc etc

And dont compare In-Ears with OverThe Head ever....you will always be disappointed. The seal of In-Ears is what defines the acoustics which the over the Ears lacks or leaks!!!

sandynator

Cyborg Agent
Ok, i got my SHP8900 today.. :mrgreen: :hyper:..

Sorry for low-res images, don't have a proper cam here.. :(
*i.imgur.com/69w7AJr.jpg
*i.imgur.com/uJhUdcb.jpg
*i.imgur.com/wwFAVWL.jpg
*i.imgur.com/wtuhKFX.jpg

First impression: Huge... :shock:, these headphones are huge, and bulky, quite heavy, but the cushioning is pretty good, which makes them pretty comfy to wear, though still you feel a slight heaviness on your head while wearing them, but it's still bearable, let's see if they'd be comfortable for the whole day in office... :p

Sound quality: Source: My Dell 15R Turbo, all songs are MP3 320kbps or FLAC's, Movies tested are 5.1ch Blu-Ray..

Though have only heard 2-3hrs on them and they might need some burnin, but initial impression is not that good, soundstage is definitely better than HD202II (tested them in Reliance Digital), but bass is less than HD202II, it's plenty and sufficient, but still less than HD202II, which sometimes kills the immersion in rock music, guitars and drum sometimes sounds muffled, don't know how it could be, but the same track sounds brilliant on my E10, i think i expected too much from these, let's see how they improve with burnin, or would they? :-?

Movies though were a total different story, sound was properly channelized, action scenes were hell good to watch, it was like i was sitting in a dolby digital theater, plenty of bass with each bullet sound separate and crystal clear, what i am getting in movies is what i expected in songs as well, but i don't know why i am not getting that soundstage in songs, maybe you can guide me Incinerator.

First impression, overall better than HD202II, but still not what i expected.. :( (maybe i expected too much when i saw their comparison with HD598.. :twisted:)

Rest detailed review would be posted after proper burnin and after i get used to them.. (Though i now find my E10 much better than HD202II or these, guess my ears are used to their sound.. :p)

Congrats bro.
Whats the price??

I'm going to rhythm house today evening would love to get an demo of it.

Top Bottom