Headphone ( Budget - 10,000 inr )

Hrishi

Hi folks,

Looking forward to upgrade my audio hardware.
I am currently using a pair of IEMs from Sony , namely the MDR-XB90.
Bought them for ~4k.
I now feel the urge to have a a headphone instead of IEM.

I have considered Audio Technica ATH-m50x but I have never listened to a pair of phones that sounded neutral. I like crystal and clear output instead of muffled sound.
Most of my audio files are lossless audio.

I am waiting for opinion on it and other headphones that are equally good.
Budget - 10,000 rs.
Purchase- Online only.
Time frame - September end.
Type- Over the ear Headphones, easy and comfortable fit.
I mostly use it for listening to music and playing games and movies.

tkin

Back to school!!
What will be your audio source? If it's the laptop/pc default audio output, a high end headphone won't mean much.

Anyway I'd suggest the ATH M50X as I own it and found that it sounds fantastic.

rakeshhkuma90

Journeyman
Steelseries Siberia V2 Frost Headset

Extremely pleasant sound, with good bass and sound clarity.
Comfortable design for longer use, fits my ears perfectly (although that would depend from ear to ear - but should fit most ears).
Superb Noise cancellation.
The wire is perfect in length, not too short, not too long.
Overall Build quality is pretty good.

v.Na5h

Off Hook!
Steelseries Siberia V2 Frost Headset

Extremely pleasant sound, with good bass and sound clarity.
Comfortable design for longer use, fits my ears perfectly (although that would depend from ear to ear - but should fit most ears).
Superb Noise cancellation.
The wire is perfect in length, not too short, not too long.
Overall Build quality is pretty good.
How's the surround sound on this...
Is this true 5.1 or emulated

OP
Hrishi

Hrishi

I have heard a lot about the Siberia V2. People have mentioned that it's worth the money. However , the fact that I can afford m50x in my budget makes me think twice. I am looking for the best in the budget , since this is a long term audio hardware I am going to purchase.

I am also planning on buying an AMP as well along with a set of Audio Card for my gaming Rig.

tkin

Back to school!!
I have heard a lot about the Siberia V2. People have mentioned that it's worth the money. However , the fact that I can afford m50x in my budget makes me think twice. I am looking for the best in the budget , since this is a long term audio hardware I am going to purchase.

I am also planning on buying an AMP as well along with a set of Audio Card for my gaming Rig.
I have listened to Siberia V2 on many occasions, it is nowhere good enough to compete with the M50X. M50X is on a whole different level, Grado, Sennheiser are some brands you can consider if you have 10k budget. Even my on ear Koss Porta pro sounds better than the Siberia V2.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
If you are going for a long term investment then look for audio oriented Headphone . Gaming oriented Headphones are not generally good when you listen to audio files.

Going for reference headphones like Grado will be a drastic change and you may not like it.

M50X seems to be the natural progression. 38 ohms impedance will make it as one of the easiest driven headphone.

tkin

Back to school!!
If you are going for a long term investment then look for audio oriented Headphone . Gaming oriented Headphones are not generally good when you listen to audio files.

Going for reference headphones like Grado will be a drastic change and you may not like it.

M50X seems to be the natural progression. 38 ohms impedance will make it as one of the easiest driven headphone.
One of the reason I like it so much, never feels underpowered when driving with my LG G2.

OP
Hrishi

Hrishi

One of the reason I like it so much, never feels underpowered when driving with my LG G2.
I will cut short the Siberia V2 out of the picture then.
I checked with Audio Technica on their official FB page and seems like the M50x can be used without an amp as well. I guess that makes it portable as long as I have a backpack with me.

Could you shed some light on the close competitors from Sennheiser ?

tkin

Back to school!!
I will cut short the Siberia V2 out of the picture then.
I checked with Audio Technica on their official FB page and seems like the M50x can be used without an amp as well. I guess that makes it portable as long as I have a backpack with me.

Could you shed some light on the close competitors from Sennheiser ?
A few headphones I researched before I bought the M50x. Note: I have not used any other so can't comment. You can read reviews and draw your own conclusion.

Sennheiser HD 558, though it costs a lot more.
Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro, massive impedance(250 ohm), needs amp.

There are more, research brands like Grado.

OP
Hrishi

Hrishi

Get m50x with an amp and enjoy. Money well spent.
Is AMP really necessary though ?
I mean if my smartphone can drive the headphone pretty easily , I was wondering if adding an external amp would actually make any difference at all ?

tkin

Back to school!!
I mean if my smartphone can drive the headphone pretty easily , I was wondering if adding an external amp would actually make any difference at all ?
Not required. You can get a soundcard or usb dac, the onboard sound does not do justice to the M50X. But it will run fine with your mobile.

$hadow

Geek in making

M50x is more towards low imp, so your phone can help out there but by adding amp it will make the oomph better

OP
Hrishi

Hrishi

Bought M50x from Amazon.in . Cost me 9,090inr.
I am waiting for delivery of the product.

Congrats, Probably I'm too late for this thread. Personally, I use Sony XBA-H1 and some assorted bunch of Sennheiser stuff. Particularly I liked HD 558, quite a contrast to my sharp IEM and overall sound was pleasing, especially when paired with a good audio source, say Creative Sound blaster E3 or Fiio E18. I would love to compare M50x against HD 558.

The problem with a headphone amplifier is that they are expensive. While if you have a bunch of audiophile grade hardware laying around, it makes sense to buy one. But if I'm buying just one headphone which costs as much as a decent entry level amp, doesn't make much sense. At 38 ohms, I think most good portable audio players can handle the volume, not if overall quality with M50x. You can always go for an entry level amp like Fiio A3 or Creative E1, although I have no idea how much improvement they will deliver(never used them).

tkin

Back to school!!
Congrats, Probably I'm too late for this thread. Personally, I use Sony XBA-H1 and some assorted bunch of Sennheiser stuff. Particularly I liked HD 558, quite a contrast to my sharp IEM and overall sound was pleasing, especially when paired with a good audio source, say Creative Sound blaster E3 or Fiio E18. I would love to compare M50x against HD 558.

The problem with a headphone amplifier is that they are expensive. While if you have a bunch of audiophile grade hardware laying around, it makes sense to buy one. But if I'm buying just one headphone which costs as much as a decent entry level amp, doesn't make much sense. At 38 ohms, I think most good portable audio players can handle the volume, not if overall quality with M50x. You can always go for an entry level amp like Fiio A3 or Creative E1, although I have no idea how much improvement they will deliver(never used them).
Rather a better option will be FiiO E10K, dac+amp at affordable price.

OP
Hrishi

Hrishi

Congrats. Pics and review when you get it.
Thanks.I will review it with pics.

I have a Sansa Clip. It's a good DAC afaik. Have rockboxed it already and it sounds great for flac on my existing IEMs.

OP
Hrishi

Hrishi

Got my pair of M50X today!
First feeling after listening! - That clarity and balance! haven't heard that before.
I think , it will take some time before I get used to them.

Awesome build quality , very comfortable (though they press against the skull a bit , and I am finding it a bit odd but I guess I will get used to it.)
Long cables , balanced sound , subtle bass , well balanced mids and kind of raised highs.

Will post full review after few hours of listening.
Pictures :

*i.imgur.com/sNsgO1E.jpg

*i.imgur.com/m4Ob9JQ.jpg

Top Bottom