hdd weird problem... i bet nobody has this problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

vish786

"The Gentleman"
whenever i boot my system it gets hang at this point,if i have grub installed, [current OS installed win xp, mandriva, ubuntu]

when i boot my system for first time
Loading Grub... ( i dont remember the lines exactly)
Grub stage 1.5
error 18 (ide light flashes ones)
so the system gets hang here.... i restart the com again

second time i get this error
Loading Grub...
Grub stage 1.5 ( this time the error is not shown) (ide light flashes ones)
and the system gets hang here.

so i reinstalled a fresh Windows XP Pro sp2... now i have only windows xp installed.
after i finish installing windows xp completely, when the xp is booting for first time it gets hang at the xp boot screen... and nothing happens.

so when i start my system after 1 or 2 days... then i have no problems in booting, everything runs smoothly. again after few days i face the same problem and system gets hang at the boot screen of winxp and the system does not run for the whole day... next day when i run system boots without any problem... and gives a message
"Your system has recovered from serious error "

so now i install mandriva and ubuntu... now grub is installed in MBR... for 10 to 15 days my system runs smoothly..... and then when i am working on my com all of a sudden everything gets hang and i restart my com again... and now the system gets hang at the grub... and the whole cycle is repeated everytime.... from the beginning.

already checked my ram it does not have problem... i am sure about it.

right now i am posting this thread after booting from knoppix live CD.

This is the config,
A8V-MX mobo
Athlon 64 3000+ proccy
nvidia fx 5200 256MB, ram 512

i'm not getting any ideas from where the problem is developed....
is their some problem with MBR, but i dont think becoz after reinstalling Winxp, MBR is cleaned... then where can be the problem.????? does motherbroad has the problem or processor??? i desperately need ur help:oops:

can this problem be caused becoz of twisted sata data cables????? in cpu or
should i reinstall my bios....??

come one guys is their no one who can help me.....

this time when i restarted grub is showing
error 16

Last edited:

blackpearl

The Devil
You lost your bet!! I too had this problem a couple of times. Somehow GRUB gets corrupted by itself and the only way to boot the PC is to run fixmbr from recovery console. Though I don't get any problem with windows.

OP
vish786

vish786

"The Gentleman"
blackpearl said:
You lost your bet!! I too had this problem a couple of times. Somehow GRUB gets corrupted by itself and the only way to boot the PC is to run fixmbr from recovery console. Though I don't get any problem with windows.

i have the problem with windows also :(.... i had installed windows only and still the problem existed.... dont know what is wrong :(

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
i had this prob too , not exact , similar , bios sometimes didnt detect hdd , if it detected , windows wud give error not booting , it wud sometimes boot . all sorts of wierd hangs . my comp vendor said that the prob is with hdd , it was in
warranty period , so he has put a standby 40gb hdd and i am awaiting new hdd.

so i suggest , try a diff hdd

and also , check the cables.

Last edited:

CA50

Cyborg Agent
I 2 had the a similar pro. i think its due to corrupted MBR. I solved by by formatting and recreating the partions. Mow it is fine

OP
vish786

vish786

"The Gentleman"
sagargv said:
i had this prob too , not exact , similar , bios sometimes didnt detect hdd , if it detected , windows wud give error not booting , it wud sometimes boot . all sorts of wierd hangs . my comp vendor said that the prob is with hdd , it was in
warranty period , so he has put a standby 40gb hdd and i am awaiting new hdd.

so i suggest , try a diff hdd

and also , check the cables.

here the problem is not with hdd... i have two hdd connected... both the hard disk cannot be booted... hangs in between.... and hdd are easily detected by the bois.

CA50 said:
I 2 had the a similar pro. i think its due to corrupted MBR. I solved by by formatting and recreating the partions. Mow it is fine

already formatted by system 4 to 5 times.... :)

Last edited:

dabster

In the zone
vish786 said:
so now i install mandriva and ubuntu... now grub is installed in MBR... for 10 to 15 days my system runs smoothly..... and then when i am working on my com all of a sudden everything gets hang and i restart my com again

It works after a clean reinstall for 10-15 days, so probably Your harddisk may have bad sectors. use fsck in linux to mark them, if u r able to boot in windows somehow, chkdsk the disk.

OP
vish786

vish786

"The Gentleman"
dabster said:
It works after a clean reinstall for 10-15 days, so probably Your harddisk may have bad sectors. use fsck in linux to mark them, if u r able to boot in windows somehow, chkdsk the disk.
i dont have any bad sector already checked and my hdd is new :)

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
remove one of the hdd's and try with only one ( a vague thought of jumper prob if u r not using SATA ) . try installing vista , coz i cudnt install xp to my corrupted disk , but vista installed fine but said to backup data as there was some "serious problem" wid the hdd. is there any cable prob ? and does the same prob occurs with a diff hdd also ( diff frm either 2 , say ur friends hdd ) ...

OP
vish786

vish786

"The Gentleman"
sagargv said:
remove one of the hdd's and try with only one ( a vague thought of jumper prob if u r not using SATA ) . try installing vista , coz i cudnt install xp to my corrupted disk , but vista installed fine but said to backup data as there was some "serious problem" wid the hdd. is there any cable prob ? and does the same prob occurs with a diff hdd also ( diff frm either 2 , say ur friends hdd ) ...

both the hdd are sata... so no jumper problem... i am not sure about the cable ... yes problem is with both hdd :(

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
if they r new , dmand rma and a standby hdd until those 2 r rma'd. i am still wid my standby hdd , it was expected last saturday , but atleast i hav hdd.

OP
vish786

vish786

"The Gentleman"
sagargv said:
if they r new , dmand rma and a standby hdd until those 2 r rma'd. i am still wid my standby hdd , it was expected last saturday , but atleast i hav hdd.

write full words, i cannot understand those shortcut words used in messaging :) and nobody will charge you if you use full words... theirs no limitations on characters like in sms :)

CA50

Cyborg Agent
vish786 said:
here the problem is not with hdd... i have two hdd connected... both the hard disk cannot be booted... hangs in between.... and hdd are easily detected by the bois.

already formatted by system 4 to 5 times.... :)

As u hv said the ur drive is new, why don`t u go for replacement?
Or you can try flashing ur BIOS, hope this solves ur probs.:cool:

OP
vish786

vish786

"The Gentleman"
CA50 said:
As u hv said the ur drive is new, why don`t u go for replacement?
Or you can try flashing ur BIOS, hope this solves ur probs.:cool:

flashing the bios this looks dangerous to me... never ever did this even after knowning the method... always scared something will go wrong :( dont u have any other alternative

CA50

Cyborg Agent
vish786 said:
flashing the bios this looks dangerous to me... never ever did this even after knowning the method... always scared something will go wrong :( dont u have any other alternative

TAKE THE CHALLENGE:cool: :cool: , GO FOR IT>>:arrow: :p but at ur own risk: ALL THE BEST

Last edited:

phreak0ut

The Thread Killer >:)
A bit similar to the problem as to what my friend is facing. Check it out *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59567

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
dont do anything with the bios - keep it as last option . upgrade ur bios if and only if the bios update specifically solves ur problem .

ask a replacement for ur hdd's . to make sure that the problem is with the hdd , take the hdd to ur friends house and see if it works & or , try ur friends hdd in ur computer. eliminate the problem , i am very suspicious of the cables , somehow , some instinct . while u have given ur hdd for replacement/repair , demand for a standby hdd . thats all i wanted to say. hope u understood now. before asking for replacement , make sure the problem is with the hdd , by the above method . i dont think i used much of sms language in my previous post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom