HDD upgrade options???

Status
Not open for further replies.

gauravakaasid

Back to l33ching :)
I have a 160gb PATA disk and a 20gb PATA disk which is setup as master.
I want to buy a SATA disk>200gb, and convert the 20gb disk to an external one. Can i setup the SATA as master? is this wise, like keeping both SATA+PATA hdds in the system? also, i dont have a floppy drive, how do i install the SATA drivers that i had got with my mobo? is there any workaround for this.

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
SATA disks don't have the system of master and slave. All SATA HDD's are master.

Yes, you can keep both SATA and PATA HDD's in the system.

You don't need a floppy drive to install SATA drivers. Windows setup will install them on it's own. A floppy would be needed for a RAID setup though.

For the SATA HDD that you want to buy, I suggest the Seagate 250 GB 7200.10. I purchased this very recently for Rs. 3800.

Kniwor

Learner
whether or not u require a folppy to load win depends on your sata controller and you windows install CD, if the CD contains the drivers well and good.

what is your motherboard

nishant_nms

Cyborg Agent
gauravakaasid said:
but isnt there any workaround for the floppy thing????
U can create a Slipstream Windows XP installation disk with the SATA driver of ur mobo. Use nlite for creating the CD

janitha

Wise Old Owl
For installing SATA why should anybody need Floppy which is already obsolete? (or extinct)
Xp has built in drivers for SATA and some of the chipset drivers with the Mobo CD also has it.
Of course for Raid you will need it.
I have been without floppy drive for more than two years.

OP
gauravakaasid

gauravakaasid

Back to l33ching :)
Thnx everyone for ur help........have bought a 160gig SATA, and an external USB case for my 20gig HDD. my, its way costly.....cost me 650 buks!!! couldnt got for a 200gig one :-( with new year around the corner, budget stretch nahin kar paya :)
@nishant_nms...am plannin to create an all in one win xp sp2 dvd with all the drivers and required apps. will be following the guide from *unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/ and those at nlite forums. lets c how far i can do it. are the SATA and RAID drivers generic ones or are they for specific mobos? if you have links to better guides, tuts, kindly leme know

Last edited:

Ram Agarwal

Right off the assembly line
my motherboard is intel 845gl
processor-2.4 ghz celeron

currently have 40gb harddisk
want to upgrade to maximum
whats the maximum size my computer support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom