Hdd partition inaccessible after merging..Help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Itz_Me!!!

Broken In
I used Partition Magic to merge two drives (say A & B) and now the folder which contains the contents of drive B ,which became a part of A, is inaccessible. There seems to be some cross linking, thats what the windows Check-Errors Application says.

What should I do??

realdan

Ambassador of Buzz
i have played with this tool version 7 before..and once somehow it messed up and make all partition unaccessible...

you might try reading the manual..for recovering the partition..
if you have the rescue disk (or some other name they call it) created when u installed the software then just pop it in to recover from the current situation

ahem! you got to tell what the two "drives" contain.is it the drive which contain the windows installation?
and also what beast we are dealing with..people should know so as to tackle it..what is the version of partition magic ur using?

OP
I

Itz_Me!!!

Broken In
I am using Norton PartitionMagic 8.0. The partitions were on a slave disk and contained Audio, video files and some docs. There were two 40GB partitions and I merged them to make a single 80GB partition. Now the drive B is in a folder in Drive A. All the contents of Drive A are still accessible but the folder containing drive B is inaccessible.
I do not have a rescue disk.

realdan

Ambassador of Buzz
m not familiar with 7 interface let alone 8 as i have left using them long time ago...

one thing is you can try recovery software to try and recover the data..
well got this suggestion from other site that could apply to your case if i m not wrong.

TestDisk is OpenSource software and is licensed under the terms of the GNU Public License (GPL).

TestDisk is a powerful free data recovery software! It was primarily designed to help recover lost partitions and/or make non-booting disks bootable again when these symptoms are caused by faulty software, certain types of viruses or human error (such as accidentally deleting a Partition Table). Partition table recovery using TestDisk is really easy.

*www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

havent use the above software myself so i m not sure it will serve the intended functions
i myself use EASEUS data recovery wizard..
i also declare that i m not an associate/employee of or have a financial interest in EASEUS.

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
Was the merging successful, did PM 8 reported any error?
PM tags the files with a proprietary tag if anything goes wrong just to prevent data loss so windows cant further read or write it which would result in data loss.

Last month it happened with me too & I could not access my 380Gb of data, but then I had already taken a backup so restored that.

You should never do partition merging without data backup.

Now you would need a recovery software which can read "raw data" bcoz now that data is no more tagged & windows cant read it.

One good software is Easy Recovery Professional, it can restore raw data too.
*www.ontrackdatarecovery.com/file-recovery-software/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom