HDD not detected

Status
Not open for further replies.

plsoft

Journeyman
I just bought a new 80 GB Ultra ATA Seagate Barracuda 7200.10. I was going to use it as my primary slave but it is not detected by my system. Not only that, when i plug it in my computer refuses to boot. I tried to use it as primary master also, but still the same result. However, my old HDD works fine when i use it alone.
In the Installation summary it is written that i should use the 80-conductor Ultra ATA cable for optimal performance. However my old hard disk uses IDE (40-conductor), Hitachi Deskstar 80 GB. Can this be the problem? Should i go for Ultra ATA? Will my old HDD be compatible with Ultra ATA cable?
I know that's a lot of question, but hoping to get a solution.

Here's my config (i know it's ancient) :cry: :
Asus P4V533-MX
Intel P4 2 Ghz
256 (266 mhz) RAM
80 GB Hitachi Deskstar

techtronic

I Always Prefer 1080p
Post your SMPS Config (in Watts)
Either your SMPS already has too much loads or they might be some problem with the configuration

Also update whether you have connected any CD/DVD Drives to the motherboard

OP
plsoft

plsoft

Journeyman
SMPS: iBall 300W
Secondary Master: Sony DVD-RW 810A
Secondary Slave : Sony DVD-ROM.

Anyway how do i differentiate b/w the old IDE cable and Ultra ATA cable since they both have same number of pins (40) & interface?

Or can it be that my mobo doesn't support Ultra ATA? Well just a hunch.

techtronic

I Always Prefer 1080p
plsoft said:
SMPS: iBall 300W
Secondary Master: Sony DVD-RW 810A
Secondary Slave : Sony DVD-ROM.

Anyway how do i differentiate b/w the old IDE cable and Ultra ATA cable since they both have same number of pins (40) & interface?

Or can it be that my mobo doesn't support Ultra ATA? Well just a hunch.

First of all, why do u want both DVD-RW/DVD-ROM to be simultaneously connected to the MB
Also the cable with Blue-Grey-White IDE Bus is the Ultra ATA Cable

I suggest you to remove DVD-ROM and then try connecting the HDD
Also check for jumper settings

shyamno

Ambassador of Buzz
Hi..guys..my friend is also having a simmilar problem..but the difference is that when he is trying to format the system....The Hard Disk is not detectable....

But in usual time he is working without any problem...installing applications..etc...

What may be the problem ..

techtronic

I Always Prefer 1080p
shyamno said:
Hi..guys..my friend is also having a simmilar problem..but the difference is that when he is trying to format the system....The Hard Disk is not detectable....

But in usual time he is working without any problem...installing applications..etc...

What may be the problem ..

Check the power cable.Also change the IDE Cable

blacklight

Journeyman
hey check this out to identify if ur cable is UATA compliant

An Ultra ATA/66-capable cable is a 40-pin, 80-conductor cable with a black connector on one end, a blue connector on the other end and a gray connector in the middle. In addition, line 34 on the cable should be notched or cut (this may be difficult to see with the human eye).

My hunch is that ur m/b needs a BIOS upgrade to recognize the UATA drive

Check this out for more detailed info
*www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/ultra_ata_66.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom