HD6770 overclocked to 900Mhz (overclocked) core and 1200Mhz (stock) VRAM

doomgiver

Warframe
This is my first attempt at any sort of overclocking.

Testbed :
AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE (stock) with CM hyper 212 evo
GSkill 4 GB DDR3 @ 1088 Mhz
Gigabyte GA-880GM UD2H
Sapphire HD 6770 1 GB GDDR5
Windows 7 64 bit
Corsair VX450
AMD Catalyst 12.10
Sapphire Trixx
MSI Afterburner
MSI Kombustor
GPUz
HWMon 64

Default clocks
775Mhz Core
1200 VRAM

Stage 1 :
doomgiver overclocks his HD 6770 - Imgur
Default clocks

Stage 2 :
I didnt go directly to 820...800 Mhz was the first stop. I didnt screenshot at that time, as im lazy :)

Stage 3 :
Next, 850 Mhz. Tested it fully for over an hour. totally stable temps and FPS. If cant push beyond 1000Mhz, i'll prolly stick with this

Stage 4 :
870 Mhz... very tricky. It actually slowed down wrt 850 Mhz. Framerates dropped. I asked around on IRC, and was advised to bump up the memory freq. At this point, I was about to give up, and revert to 850Mhz.

Stage 5 :
Decided to give it a last try. Bumped to 900 Mhz. Quite stable, though the fps was jumping at times.

Final Result:
AT last!!

Next Target : 1Ghz and beyond :)

Note : you might notice the timestamps are non linear, this is because i messed up the screenshot naming in my first attempt, and then had to go back and do it again.

As i dont have any sort of benchmarking tool, im unable to provide scores. (i do have furmark, btw)

OP
doomgiver

doomgiver

Warframe
the size is huuuge.
it may take a few days to get it :(

this is stupid.... if i close the overclocking software.. the gpu reverts to default settings... is this normal?
how do i get a "permanent" overclock?

OP
doomgiver

doomgiver

Warframe
the win98 appearance???? WTf...
I seriously have NO idea how that happened. I guess I didnt just notice :p

anyway, who notices the OS when you are playing games :)

Feels nice to use it as lesser graphical desktop suites and eyes when running office and such apps for hours and hours :p

actually, i run my windows on my laptop at minimal eyecandy, everything turned off... guess i didnt really notice it, both being same, after i turned on my computer.

markus75

Right off the assembly line
Hi doomgiver,

If you are trying to have a linear result you should upgrade your specs higher than the current specs of your PC and also it will require many trials to get the perfect and linear result. Also, you should have a screenshot of the result to be able to compare each stages.

pcb assembly house

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
the size is huuuge.
it may take a few days to get it :(

this is stupid.... if i close the overclocking software.. the gpu reverts to default settings... is this normal?
how do i get a "permanent" overclock?

why you are uisng multiple OC apps ? just use the Trixx and uninstall AFB. Make a OC profile and fan profile with Trixx - save it and from options make sure TYrixx startup option with windows and set clock on chnages in enabled and also the fan speed option.

OP
doomgiver

doomgiver

Warframe
why you are uisng multiple OC apps ? just use the Trixx and uninstall AFB. Make a OC profile and fan profile with Trixx - save it and from options make sure TYrixx startup option with windows and set clock on chnages in enabled and also the fan speed option.
i've stopped using MSI AFB, since it didnt support over 900mhz core.

trixx is good enough for me. and yes, i implemented the startup fan suggestions made by you :)
thanks.

but as my pc is not currently working, im unable to do any more tweaking :(

Top Bottom