HD dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

taklya

Right off the assembly line
Hi

I want to add a 250gig Maxtor HD (it's available right? :p) and atleast 512MB SD ram to my out-dated m/c having specs p3 1.2gig, 40gig samsung HD, 128MB SD ram, Intel 810E chipset.

Isn't it supposed to depend on bios or something? 1 assembler told me p3 won't take a 120gig and will only accept a 80gig. Is this true?

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
well u got a few options
- upgrade ur bios , if update is available , but really risky process
- use Disk Manager or powermax in maxtors case , to install Disk Drive Overlay , which makes large capacity hdd run on old systems . i have an 80gb seagate running on a P1-133 :) p1 i use is mostly for dumps , movies and mp3 and is the secondary system .
- y go in for a 250 GB hdd on an old system if its the primary system ??? rather u could upgrade ur system and then maybe get a 250 gb , and get an 80 or 120 for ur p3 . How much is a 250 gb anyways ??? . else go in for 2 80 gb ,or a 120 gb and a dvd writer will be helpful if u upgrade to new system in the future too .
- r original SD RAMs still available with warranty ? , how much ?

Tech&ME

Banned
taklya said:
Hi

I want to add a 250gig Maxtor HD (it's available right? :p) and atleast 512MB SD ram to my out-dated m/c having specs p3 1.2gig, 40gig samsung HD, 128MB SD ram, Intel 810E chipset.

Isn't it supposed to depend on bios or something? 1 assembler told me p3 won't take a 120gig and will only accept a 80gig. Is this true?

What is P3 going to do with your hdd ?? Yes, older BIOS do not allow large harddisk, u will have to visit the motherboard manufacturer's website to get full details about your mobo and the BIOS it contains, and if at all it does really support large harddisk and RAM.

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
I guess u can add how much ever space irrespective of your mobo..., but i guess u will have to remove the older hdd if the need arises.

I have tried even 300gb + 120 gb, it works fine.
And even upto 400gb is availble , but not here in India.

@klinux: SD ram with warranty ( @ mercy, arcot road)
rs. 1300 =128mb
rs. 3200 = 256mb (3 months ago)

250gb HDD here at chennai = 8k (b4 a few months)

OP
T

taklya

Right off the assembly line
oh yea sry abt that.

SD ram is still available :oops: and warranty hrm i'll not go into that and prices should b abt the same as drgrudge mentioned at lamington.

dunno though, ltns lamington :wink:

drgrudge

taklya said:
SD ram is still available :oops: and warranty hrm i'll not go into that and prices should b abt the same as drgrudge mentioned at lamington dunno though, ltns lamington :wink:
Hmm.. man, did u see my post properly? The price was b4 a couple of month or so and that too here in chennai...
So the price must be atleast 5-10% cheaper by now...

drgrudge

taklya said:
prices should b abt the same as drgrudge mentioned at lamington.
See, what u wrote: Mention at lamington.

taklya said:
dunno though, ltns lamington :wink:
It is or Is this lamington...

U dint write properly, so the confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom