Hd 6850 overheating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vish2a9l

Journeyman
I've hd6850 2gb which I mainly use for gaming and often, it's overheating. I play cod4. I used to get steady 250fps in game now I hardly get 200. Also, the temps are around 55-60c. Help me? My gpu drivers are upto date.

Myth

Cyborg Agent
Clean the cabinet and the graphics card. Remove as much dust as you safely can.
Check the cabinet ventilation/airflow.

PS: Temperatures are fine actually. You sure the dip in fps is not due to some graphics settings change ?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've hd6850 2gb which I mainly use for gaming and often, it's overheating. I play cod4. I used to get steady 250fps in game now I hardly get 200. Also, the temps are around 55-60c. Help me? My gpu drivers are upto date.

lol .. can you really make difference between 250 and 200 FPS ??? Mine reach as high as 80C sometime and gpu load temps are fine upto 85C.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
now I hardly get 200. Also, the temps are around 55-60c. Help me?

Hardly 200? TBH a human eye can't detect the difference between 200 and 250 FPS.
BUT it does detect changes between 30 and 60. Read this: *www.tweakguides.com/Graphics_5.html

The Temps of the card are fine. It's running rather good considering it's Summer now.

rakesh_ic

Cyborg Agent

<joke> Its gone man.. you cant even get it repaired.. I think the main board must have been burnt completely and the fans might be working so hard that it had to reduce some speed on games to increase the speed on the fans and hence the reduction in fps..

Sorry to hear your FPS drop though.. You may not even get an RMA for this.. </joke>

On a serious note, start using V-Sync in every game.. then u will stop complaining about your fps as all you can see is 60+ or -. :p

Last edited:

ashis_lakra

Gaming Unlimited
>.< 200 fps O.O

OP , you should start worrying only when your GPU temp reaches 85-90C consistently. You need only 60 fps in FPS game for smooth play. Till then Sayyonara.

OP
V

Vish2a9l

Journeyman
Hardly 200? TBH a human eye can't detect the difference between 200 and 250 FPS.
BUT it does detect changes between 30 and 60. Read this: TweakGuides.com - Gamer's Graphics & Display Settings Guide

The Temps of the card are fine. It's running rather good considering it's Summer now.

I'm talking about in game fps. Don't think any of you've played the game. Anyways, thanks!

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm talking about in game fps. Don't think any of you've played the game. Anyways, thanks!

contrary to what you think I think most of us have played Cod4 along before and some of are still playing the MP part .. anyway, as you've said your gfx drivers are upto date this may be the reason why you're getting 50 FPS less in an old game like COD4 .. sometime newer gfx driver can create issues with older/newer game titles. SO if you are playing an old game mostly and if old driver is Ok there's no need to update to most recent version as the saying goes Don't fix it if it is not broken ;-)

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends

Trust me I've played more Call of Duty games than you've heard :wink:
You haven't read the article in the link I posted. As for the problem, Topgear has explained it well.
contrary to what you think I think most of us have played Cod4 along before and some of are still playing the MP part .. anyway, as you've said your gfx drivers are upto date this may be the reason why you're getting 50 FPS less in an old game like COD4 .. sometime newer gfx driver can create issues with older/newer game titles. SO if you are playing an old game mostly and if old driver is Ok there's no need to update to most recent version as the saying goes Don't fix it if it is not broken ;-)

Jripper

Pro/An---tagonist xD
200 fps what the hell :O COD4=modern warfare right? I never ran that on the 6850(played on my old rig) but you're getting 200 fps on it? :O What resolution are you playing at? 640X480?

And btw your temperatures are more than fine :p And yes,you can't really understand or interpret anything over 60-70 fps.

rajnusker

Sage of the Six Paths
55-60C are pretty good temperature. When I game my GPU temp. (R6870 Hawk) usually hover around 90-95C at 25% fan speed, and around 60-65C at 100% fan speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom