HCL & AMD unveils PC for Rs 9990

Status
Not open for further replies.

sujithtom

Ambassador of Buzz
Heralding a new era of low-cost computing with full functionality, IT company HCL Infosystem in partnership with Microsoft and microprocessor company AMD on Thursday launched a sub-Rs 10,000 computer.

IT Minister Dayanidhi Maran launched a ready-to-use HCL EzeeBee PC with Linux operating system for Rs 9,990. The computer would cost Rs 11,240 if bundled with Microsoft's Window's XP Starter Edition.

This is the third sub-Rs 10,000 PC launched in the country, so far and the second from the HCL stable.

Last month, the company had announced the launch of a 1 Ghz processor PC, priced similarly.

Another company Xentis has also launched a below Rs 10,000 PC. The PC is based on 1.6 Ghz processor from AMD and will offer browsing on the Internet, CD-ROM usage, 40 GB storage capacity, multimedia applications like games and broadband connectivity.

Welcoming the joint initiative, Maran said: "We have low penetration -- 810,000 in the last quarter. This has to increase to fuel Internet and broadband growth. Along with affordable broadband solutions from BSNL at Rs 150 a month and with XP Starter Edition, the PC can be used as a vehicle to increase broadband penetration."

He said Microsoft would ealry next year bring out a special bilingual edition of its Windows Starter pack for the Indian users. (PTI)

Source: *in.rediff.com/money/2005/oct/13pc.htm

If u pay Rs 11240 u will get Windows XP starter edition. The one desgined to fool Indians. Who needs them yuck :p

godsownman

Padawan
deepak_m said:
even if the config sux atleast pc penetration will increase.

What is the point in making such cheap PC's and increasing PC penetration. I agree that yes all people will not require the advanced features and so these PC's will do but still what if tommorrow he needs to install a software requiring additional requirements.

And also WIN XP SE is something not worth.

OP
sujithtom

sujithtom

Ambassador of Buzz
But look at the brighter side. You can buy one more computer, make a LAn out of it and try to hack into the other computer.
Besides everybody don't buy computers to run heavy apps and games. A lots of people use them for real time wathcing, networking, office apps etc

godsownman

Padawan
sujithtom said:
But look at the brighter side. You can buy one more computer, make a LAn out of it and try to hack into the other computer.
Besides everybody don't buy computers to run heavy apps and games. A lots of people use them for real time wathcing, networking, office apps etc

Yes, I quite agree with you in this aspect but I shall have the OS changed . WIN XP SE. :wink:

planetcall

Indian by heart
Cheap is Useless : A Myth

godsownman said:
deepak_m said:
even if the config sux atleast pc penetration will increase.

What is the point in making such cheap PC's and increasing PC penetration. I agree that yes all people will not require the advanced features and so these PC's will do but still what if tommorrow he needs to install a software requiring additional requirements.

And also WIN XP SE is something not worth.

You have every right to see things from your perspective but this is not the ideal way to judge something generic. The offer is not meant just for needs you have but see the brighter side.......there are so many ppl in our country who can use these computers for their own needs and increase their productivity. Most of us need a higer end CPU only for the purpose of gaming. Some of us like me also need it for specific purposes like Programming DotNet and stuffs. Google's core set of technology is deployed on cheap and low end linux boxes. I also dont use full power of my computer most of the time. So I think if computers become as cheap as less than 10000 then it would be a boon to millions of compatriots out there struggling for survival. And yes.......tomorrow....who knows :)
*www.diegotorres.com.ar/mensajeitor/foro/caritas/120103_emA52_prv1.gif

ashnik

Ambassador of Buzz
I might buy such config Notebook who only use MS office, internet etc.. this would be best suited to him
as it is cheap and mobile NOteBooK only

Also this PC will do gr8 for receptionists, C.A. etc.

Retro

Journeyman
Wow, 1.6Ghz for 10K. That sounds fantastic you know. 1.6Ghz may not be much but for 10K, it's awesome. Many use computers just for basic puporses like Word, Net, Email, etc, etc. For them, this would be a boon but I don't think it will have any effect on the serious computerers.

godzi_85

In the zone
ya its a good move by the companies..
but they should really market these computers aggresively .. there is a huge market in india for low priced computers...
and these comps are aimed at a much wider audience.. only an iota of the computer world really invests in heavy duty computers to satisfy their needs..
rest everyone can do fine with anything above 1+ ghz.. ..
my uncle been using his 450 mhz amd k63 til now.
if work is getting done on that machine then why upgrade..
so i see this move is very good :D..
and i htink it might even allow to reduce e-waste :D

champ_rock

champ_rock
ok man i also use a 450 mhx with 128 ram....
dont hurt the sentiments of us people by saying that 1.6 ghz is not enough

Aijaz Akhtar

Journeyman
My office PC has 1.6, and I never felt any speed crunch. Occasionally I use GIMP for picture editing, else no heavy apps. For most people, 1 GHZ with 256 MB RAM is good enough, enough to run all important apps. All are not 3-D gamers or movie editors.

Sreekanth V

Journeyman
Oh god It is the same spec my pc too have.
But I brought it 3 and a half years before, at a price of 35000 Rs
Only the processor was different(Intel p4 1.6Ghz ).

Aijaz Akhtar

Journeyman
There have been other cheap laptops at Rs 22K and PCs with AMD, costing Rs 12-13K, with Free DOS or Linux. But what happens? The buyers always demand WinXP (and MS Office) and all the vendors happily install pirated MS products!!! The same might bold good for this too. If one is knowledgeable, one can happily build am AMD PC in 10K, with a processor of 2.4 GHZ or so with on board graphics, sound etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom