Have you come across such a mobo..

mojojojo

Broken In
I have an IDE HDD, a PS/2 mouse and a PS/2 keyboard that I would like to continue using and I have been on a lookout for a motherboard (AM3 or H67 based) that has one IDE port and two PS/2 ports available. So far I have only found mobos (like GA-880GM-USB3 rev 1.x) with one IDE and one PS/2 port.

Is there any motherboard that you have come across and that fulfills my requirements?

Thanks!

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
you can find AM3+ mobos with 2 PS2 ports but IDE port is very hard to find on any latest mobo - so either you have to use a IDE to Sata converter cable or your best option is to buy a new sata HDD ;-)

OP
M

mojojojo

Broken In
Yeah PS/2 to USB convertor would be nice if it works well.

Topgear, I am also buying a SATA drive (have been quoted 3975 for 250 GB and 4400 for 500 GB) but I don't want to dispose of the IDE drive either.
If I had to buy a convertor, I wonder if I would be better off buying an IDE to USB one with external casing or IDE to SATA. The former would enable me to use it as an external HDD.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ get Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2P ( rev 3.1 ) mobo @ ~2.6k - it has 2 PS2 ports ;-)

The 250GB Sata HDD price is little overpriced - it's around ~3.5k in most places and for the the IDE drive just buy a external casing around ~300-400 bucks.

OP
M

mojojojo

Broken In
Topgear, GA-78LMT-S2P is around 2K cheaper than GA-880-GM-USB3. I wonder if the chipset alone could be the reason for such a price gap. Tell me if you know whether GA-78LMT-S2P use inferior quality components?

Also, with GA-78LMT-S2P, the versions 3.1 and 4.0 are almost similar. I know the the difference in phase (4+1 against 3+1), but say if I do not find 3.1 anywhere, will it be a calamity of any proportion to buy 4.0?

Thanks!

Besides, found the one that meets my requirements - GA-770T-USB3 (rev. 1.3). Its an AM3 only, full ATX board. How does it compare to GA-78LMT-S2P?

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
GA-78LMT-S2P is value series mobo and here you only get the features you have paid for - no extra frills and the components used here are good enough for the price.

The main diff between rev 3.1 and 4.0 is cpu support - the rev 4.0 mobo supports cpus mostly with 95W TDP only and rev 3.1 mobos can support cpus with 125W TDP - which means rev 3.1 mobos has better cpu compatibility as this the value based segment I will recommend only to use cpus with 95W TDP on this mobo.

GA-880-GM-USB3 is a bit high end mobo and has more features at extra cost like USB 3.0 - better onboard IGP and couple of some more extra features - if you need those features like esata/usb3.0 then it's great mobo.

Going with GA-770T-USB3 (rev. 1.3) is not recommended as this does not supports AM3+ cpus and are you really going to use all those pci-e x1 and pci slot on that ATX mobo.

So the mobo buying decision greatly depends upon on what features you need, what cpu you will use and if you have any plan for OCing the cpu..

if you are happy with features of GA-78LMT-S2P and will use only a 95W TDP cpu then this is a great mobo - you will be even able to OC the cpu.

IF you want to have more features and want to use ( and OC ) a 125W TDP cpu then GA-880-GM-USB3 ( rev 3.1 ) should be your choice ;-)

OP
M

mojojojo

Broken In
Thanks a lot for the detailed response. Since I am going to use 965 BE I will have to go for GA-880-GM-USB3. :)

Top Bottom