Has PC gaming become pointless?

Do you think PC gaming has become pointless?

• Yes

Votes: 40 40.4%
  • No

Votes: 59 59.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
And as for tv / monitor size debates .... u can attach a bigTV to a console but for PC gaming u need a small monitor ???? This is a useless point to debate on .

okay, then get a 17" TV & play game on it :|
:p

now, did you understand my point? if not, read on...

TV - how far you sit from it?
PC/monitor - how far you sit from it?

can you enjoy the gfx. of a game on a 21" TV?

for PC, you'll sit closer,you can enjoy the details.

-----
about racing games, well i was talking of playing a game with "Cock-pit" camera.

its more involving & enjoyable when you race like that.

on console- if you sit far away, that involvement is not much. but sure you'll enjoy it if you put your couch close to TV & play.:)) (thats what i'll be doing in January:p, will connect my pc to tv)

-------------
i HATE CodeMasters for PORTing CMR DiRT to PC:x
its so system heavy:x
lazy devs.:x

OP
ring_wraith

ring_wraith

=--=l33t=--=
@adithyagenius

help me out here as i'm confused ........ according to you ,
1) I purchase Hl2 over steam over account 'a'
2) Activate it
3) Now go over a friends place and using account 'a' again download and activate it
4) Repeat step 3 as many number of times as I want
5) So at the end of the day , all my 10 friends have HL2 and can play it .

So this way I am breaking no laws and everything is legit ??????

nways , considering today people are opting for consoles than PC ... maybe you can say that consoles have the 'x' factor currently . And as for tv / monitor size debates .... u can attach a bigTV to a console but for PC gaming u need a small monitor ???? This is a useless point to debate on .

Agreed consoles are best on HDTV but they (HDTV) display is way better that standard PC monitors . A good display is the display which does justice to your room and yourself . For saying I might put up a point against consoles that I need a 130" custom made HDTV to play on a console ... and add that price to gaming on console !!!! Or worst I may also demand a HD projection unit to go along with it .

As someone mentioned TV size is nothing to do with console nor is monitor size anywhere related . thats the perfect point .

As for game prices I distinctly remember my friend buying a legit copy of FAR CRY (back in the days when its launched) for 1700/- ...... as someone pointed out earlier as PC gaming became set in our country prices dropped , same will be for consoles soon .

For people like me who are not "too much" into tech and dont care what's what untill the game is playing smooth and nice and you are comfy on your recliner , its easier to implement a console and play ... we want to enjoy games and not waste the little free time we have optimizing and fixing installation errors and waiting hours (if not days)for downloads consoles seem an easy way out .

Again i am not dissing PC gaming anyways ( I also have a PC which can run crysis pretty well @ high ... but thats another story ) ...

conclusion :: both have their own charm and bot have their own ups and downs ..... as i said earlier consoles currently have their mysterious 'x' factor involved which is taking them a notch higher .

Well said man. Great post. Thank you for bringing an end to that annoyingly pointless discussion of screen sizes. And how far you sit is in all actuality personal preference. I know several PC gamers who like to enjoy their games on their TVs....

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
FFS i was not saying consoles suck or something, was jus telling a gamer's view.

dont tell me you enjoy Halo/ GOW on a 21" TV. :|

my theory - if i have the money to buy a 20/40k game console, then i''ve the money to buy a better BIG TV.

anyways, as i mentioned earlier , this thread's goin nowhere.

it's jus like Windows Vs Mac / Linux threads:p

nish_higher

Wise Old Owl
man s18000rpm does have a point.we CAN use a 21'' tv for Xbox 360\ps3 till the prices of HDTVs are lowered or till u buy one but the best experience will be only on them.and i already said 21'' crt tv (has to be a good one) is good enough to play till u get a hdtv.

but the thing is we all are talking about PC\console gaming.i think it includes PS2,xbox,SNES,nintendos,segas,etc,etc..without them this thread is a xbox360 advertise thread.

adithyagenius

I WANT MORE FPS!!
@trash_metal
I don't think its legit but its like sharing with your console game dvds anyway.
Regarding size of monitor. Having very large screen 1km or 1 cm away from face is bad. The optimal distance, so that it fits your field of vision varies with size. So the size-distance thing is not bs, even if you say it is.
Yeah, PC gaming still has charm. Until my fav titles shift to console, I am sticking to PC.
This thread is about PC gaming being obsolete due to consoles. It is not. I say that, the poll results reflect that and you also seem to agree that PC is not crap yet. So why argue?

thrash_metal

In the zone
@aditya .... thats y i game on both ...!!!!

nways , the screen size debate is STUPID and I'm again saying STUPID .... the titles shifting is a point but not screen size . Its a personal matter what screen size u prefer , its not mandatory to own a large LCD tv to enjoy consoles nor does it mean u buy small monitors for PC gaming . I know people with 28" monitors which are way expensive than a 32" TV !!!

@s18000 rpm :: cost of xbox360 -> 16k (here)

cost of 8800 -> 16k (around)

then y the bhedbhav ????? both cost nearly the same .... then y the stupid debate ?? So according to you I spend 16k on a graphics card .. im a poor person who can afford only a 19" monitor ... whereas i spend 16k on xbox (console) .. im rich and off to Sony for a custom made 130" panel ????

hahahari

In the zone
guys I do still enjoy gaming on 17 inch monitirs ....no need of hignend styuff to be a gamer.. and anyway iys all abt personal preferences.

OP
ring_wraith

ring_wraith

=--=l33t=--=
man s18000rpm does have a point.we CAN use a 21'' tv for Xbox 360\ps3 till the prices of HDTVs are lowered or till u buy one but the best experience will be only on them.and i already said 21'' crt tv (has to be a good one) is good enough to play till u get a hdtv.

but the thing is we all are talking about PC\console gaming.i think it includes PS2,xbox,SNES,nintendos,segas,etc,etc..without them this thread is a xbox360 advertise thread.

Yeah i totally agree with you man. We need to diversify people. Why are we sticking only to Xbox 360? Agreed it is probably the best console out there as of today, but still the wii and PS3 do have their obvious advantages.

I'll start off. The PS3 has one very obvious advantage. It has a freakin Blu Ray drive. Most Blu Ray players cost waaaay more than the PS3. So for 25k, you can get urself a Blu Ray player, and a great console !

ANd of course, the wii. If you have a relative abroad, then the wii beats any computer hands down. I say you need a relative abroad coz it is not launched in India! It is so immersive. One of my friends actually bought it from the Black market and i played it for a few hours at his place, and let me tell you, the games are so innovative that it puts the fun back into gaming. It is not the usual graphics rat race. The Wii rocks, and every gamer really should own one if only to get back to his roots.

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
i guess @nish was talking about the old consoles :D, ps2, xbox & all those 8 bit conoles.:))

i have a 8-bit console & play on it sometimes:))

btw @thrash_metal, i thought x360=23k.
8800 is top end product, but the x360 (16k one) is not.

--------

what i meant was, just for gaming , if spend 23k (pc=all rounder), why should'nt i do it better?
does x360 play movies? if yes, then we can enjoy movies+gaming.

anyways lets leave this.

you want to game on 21", its your choice.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
I saw a LG 25 inch HDTV here in eZone on display, 1280X720p based good one for gaming I would say. This one....just for 30k

*www.lgindia.com/Product/Products-Details.aspx?cat=101&pid=4521&subcat=LCD TV

*www.lgindia.com/images/Models/26LC4_LR.jpg

Last edited:

adithyagenius

I WANT MORE FPS!!
@aditya .... thats y i game on both ...!!!!

nways , the screen size debate is STUPID and I'm again saying STUPID .... the titles shifting is a point but not screen size . Its a personal matter what screen size u prefer , its not mandatory to own a large LCD tv to enjoy consoles nor does it mean u buy small monitors for PC gaming . I know people with 28" monitors which are way expensive than a 32" TV !!!

I never mentioned that large screen is needed for console. The problem is that good quality displays of small screen size and low cost are unavailable. Thats why large screen has to be purchased. All the small screen TVs are of standard definition and games look crap on them. I have personally tried playing Hot Prusuit 2 and ONI on my 21" stadard definition (1024*768 res) TV. Very low refresh rate, faded colours and less crisp. To reduce the boxy picture I had to sit 3 feet away. After 30 mins, I switched of tv and started using the laptop's 14" display at 1 feet for the better image quality.

How Stuff Works said:
Your computer probably has a "VGA monitor" that looks a lot like a TV but is smaller, has a lot more pixels and has a much crisper display. The CRT and electronics in a monitor are much more precise than is required in a TV

taken from *electronics.howstuffworks.com/tv16.htm

I never said that PC is better because of screen size. I said buying large screen and sitting many feet away is equivalent to sitting 1 feet away from medium size display. I don't know why you got such an impression from my posts.

Last edited:

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
And what i am saying is that if you already have a PC with a good monitor , don't spend your movey of a 16k GFX card . just buy a 15k Xbox 360 , connecct it to your monitor and enjoy gaming :)

I say son't spend money on 16k GFX card bcoz it will not be the top-of-the line GFX card one year later and you won't be able to play all the latest games at the highest resolutions whereas the console will last you 5-8 Years and you'll be able to enjoy all the latest games without a hitch .

@adithyagenius , Standard TV resolution is 720 x 576 and not 1024 x 768 .

@s18000rpm . Yes the Xbox 360 plays Xvid/DivX/H264(HD)/VC1(HD) content smoothly . It includes a remote and now i prefer to watch movies on my 360 only instead of my PC .

And yes , i do enjoy gaming on my 29" HDTV . Screen Size does not matter a lot once you get accustomed to it . Even 17" PC monitor is good enuf if you want to game on it , so is a 21" TV .

adithyagenius

I WANT MORE FPS!!
And what i am saying is that if you already have a PC with a good monitor , don't spend your movey of a 16k GFX card . just buy a 15k Xbox 360 , connecct it to your monitor and enjoy gaming :)

I say son't spend money on 16k GFX card bcoz it will not be the top-of-the line GFX card one year later and you won't be able to play all the latest games at the highest resolutions whereas the console will last you 5-8 Years and you'll be able to enjoy all the latest games without a hitch .

@adithyagenius , Standard TV resolution is 720 x 576 and not 1024 x 768 .
I did not mean 720*576 is sdtv red. I just mentioned that my 5 year old sdtv supports 1024*768.

I never bought a 16k graphics card. I haven't spent 16k on graphics in total in my life.

The Conqueror

Elevating Humanity
PC Gaming is not pointless.
look at Crysis and upcoming games such as Far Cry2, Splinter Cell : conviction, Alan Wake , and many more
If you have the right hardware, u can play the way its meant to be played :d

What i feel is that PC gaming is far better than consoles.
AND now, (in 2008) many PC games r going to release than Console.
So now, PC gaming is not pointless at all!

zyberboy

dá ûnrêäl Kiñg
People who likes to enjoy games buys consoles...and those who likes to enjoy games+ and are passionate abt hardware n stuffs wud still buy PC...and its not going to change , it will rule:)

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
If you have the right hardware, u can play the way its meant to be played
That's the whole point of the debate dude . The "Right Hardware" costs much much mor ethan a console and becomes mid-end every 6 months , so if you want to play latest games , spend 20k every year to play latest games on highest settings .

let me ask you ? what is your config ? will your PC will be able to play all the latest games at the highest settings for the next 5 years ?

PS: you already know the answer .

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
If all you need to do is gaming, then instead of PC, A console is a better idea. You can skip a HDTV instead buy a 19" LCD Monitor running at Wide Screen resolution, that should do the trick anyway.

I was looking at my needs from a gaming machine today...hmm, check the site of XBOX, Core system looks good enough for indian needs.

Do u really or usually use the 5 feature which require a harddisk? a Memory unit is good enough for saving games, & besides...if u r not much into online playback then Core system is good enough, isn't it? You can guy the harddisk later if u need.

Right now the best combination accoring to me would be a Sub 40k laptop with XBOX 360, U obviously have a TV at home already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom