Has PC gaming become pointless?

Do you think PC gaming has become pointless?

• Yes

Votes: 40 40.4%
  • No

Votes: 59 59.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

adithyagenius

I WANT MORE FPS!!
Zeeshan Quireshi said:
Dude wouldn't you call Resident Evil , Call of Duty 4 , Bioshock , Halo 3 Immersive .

Specially Resident Evil man , story is just plain awesome and you'll forget about the real world once you start playing it . Just try Resident Evil:Code Veronica once .

ANd as for a Hardcore Gamer , well i guess you can't call yourself a hardcore games if you haven't even experienced consoles yet . There's a whole new gaming world waiting out there for you just give it a try before you term it as trash .

Dude bioshock is made by PC game developer. He just happened to release on consoles for increase in market share just like some console games are released on pc. So obviously it runs on PC. you should also be knowing COD , COD united offensive COD2 and COD 4 are pc games. I have already finished COD, COD UO, COD2 and 1st lvl of COD 4. I have only played bioshock demo till now but will soon play that too. right now busy with hellgate london, perseus mandate and overlord.
I hate halo 1 and halo 2 due to its bad gun mechanics, bullet hit sounds, recoil emulation etc which totally destroys immersion. I don't know if halo 3 is improved but I wouldn't play it because I don't want to start from the middle of the story. I would rather play other FPS games.

Like I said one good game series wont make me buy console and abandon 100 good game series on other computer. I accept my interaction with consoles is very little. My interaction with console games have been in simlim square singapore.I just used to play for half an hour in each shop's "try out " consoles to see different games. I didn't enjoy them as much as PC games. I ended up suffering from head-ache due refresh rates of TV. I also played some games in my friends house but few times but ditched em for Table tennis within 15 mins.

I am Hardcore PC gamer. I forgot to mention "PC" because I am generally interacting with PC gamers. Hardcore PC gamers and hardcore console gamers have different needs. Hence type of games influence the choice of platform a lot. Game developers of each platform have different philosophy. I am not saying PC games are better than console. I am saying, people like me will like PC games a lot more. As long as PC gamers like me exist, PC gaming will live. Results of poll right now indicate that too. The only game I am very curious to try out is burnout series.

OP
ring_wraith

ring_wraith

=--=l33t=--=
Okay, adityagenius, it's coming to the point where you are really getting silly. You can really be called a fanboy right now.

First off, since you do not have experience with a console, nothing really gives you the right to degrade them by calling them "glorified 8-bits". Console gaming has evolved to the point where it can satisfy just about any type of gamer. You are referring to the false belief that consoles were made only for kiddies and only nerds should use PCs. Even console gamers can be hardcore gamers. I don't see a casual gamer spending days on finishing RE4 or God of War....

You said you had played consoles for 15 mins and you got a headache due to the refresh rates of the TV???? This I find absolute fanboyism. BTW, most TVs have 60hz refresh rate..... So are you saying that you never watch TV? If your claim was true then TVs would never be sold.

You said you like to play several games without changing discs. PLEASE pause for a moment and listen to how absolutely pointless and stupid this sounds. So you'd rather let a game occupy 5-6 Gigs on your HDD and sit through installs rather than get up,and put a disc into a console?

You also said that "tweaking" is a fake and creats "illusions" of higher framrates? Why you say this is beyond me.... I find it pretty hard to believe that you don't tweak considering your user title "I WANT MORE FPS" unless you are the kind of person who just puts up a title without giving it an iota of thought.

Dude bioshock is made by PC game developer. He just happened to release on consoles for increase in market share just like some console games are released on pc.
This is exactly what I am trying to say. PC games are appearing more and more on consoles, making it pointless to game on PCs.... people are much better off buying a basic PC for word processing, internet etc... and getting a good console for gaming..

off-topic -> Zeeshan, totally agreed on RE4! Do you play mercenaries?

OP
ring_wraith

ring_wraith

=--=l33t=--=
Is that directed to me? Then the answer is never. I buy my buying decision solely on reviews.... i couldn't care less who the developer is... coz every deveeloper has hits and flops.

adithyagenius

I WANT MORE FPS!!
ring_wraith said:
Okay, adityagenius, it's coming to the point where you are really getting silly. You can really be called a fanboy right now.
you are the fanboy, since you got angry when I didn't agree with your " PC is pointless" statement. But I never said consoles are pointless. I always maintained that there are poeple for whome console is better.

First off, since you do not have experience with a console, nothing really gives you the right to degrade them by calling them "glorified 8-bits". Console gaming has evolved to the point where it can satisfy just about any type of gamer. You are referring to the false belief that consoles were made only for kiddies and only nerds should use PCs. Even console gamers can be hardcore gamers. I don't see a casual gamer spending days on finishing RE4 or God of War....
I am not referring to false beliefs. Most of the population out there dont have indepth knowledge of computers to keep them at peek performance and choose the right hardware and save money. that why they go to consoles. so, more geeks use PC than consoles. I am not talking about expertise and how long people play. I am talking of types of games coming out. I agree , consoles can run games of all types but unfortunately there are few games of PC gamer type released or being developed. As I already mentioned many times blizzard and crytek is yet to make console games. I also know that there are hardcore console gamers. I have seen southpark episode of guitar queer-o and read guides of games for consoles.

You said you had played consoles for 15 mins and you got a headache due to the refresh rates of the TV???? This I find absolute fanboyism. BTW, most TVs have 60hz refresh rate..... So are you saying that you never watch TV? If your claim was true then TVs would never be sold.
Effect of refresh rates is higher when you are sitting close to TV and watching it for many hours. this is exactly what I was doing while playing on consoles. I watch TV from far away for not more than 3 hours. I did't watch TV for more than 10 hours in total in last 3 years. But what does it have to do with games.

You said you like to play several games without changing discs. PLEASE pause for a moment and listen to how absolutely pointless and stupid this sounds. So you'd rather let a game occupy 5-6 Gigs on your HDD and sit through installs rather than get up,and put a disc into a console?
I woud rather have it installed once than search for disks and aragne them and pop in disks everytime I play. Personal choice. I also need installation for mods and tweaks.

You also said that "tweaking" is a fake and creats "illusions" of higher framrates? Why you say this is beyond me.... I find it pretty hard to believe that you don't tweak considering your user title "I WANT MORE FPS" unless you are the kind of person who just puts up a title without giving it an iota of thought.
I wish you weren't taking this emotionally and becoming angry in arguements. You are not reading my posts carefuly. I said "most" of the tweaks out there are myths and not all. Real system tweaks are defrags (perfect disk is best) and background processes and most importantly "DONT SCREW YOUR COMPUTER" (empshasis not shout). I was referring to system tweaks there. I tweak the game for highest image quality until stuttering starts. It took me 20 mins for first 3 games due my noobness. but now it takes only max 2 mins due to experience. Tweaks are not just about performnance. A good definition of tweak is available in tweakguide companion available at tweakguides.com . Tweak also include modifying to tastes. I like modifying textures like in oblivion, fonts in RPGs again. I cannot do this in consoles because I cannot edit content on discs. there are lots of hidden settings like gore, funny animations etc.

This is exactly what I am trying to say. PC games are appearing more and more on consoles, making it pointless to game on PCs.... people are much better off buying a basic PC for word processing, internet etc... and getting a good console for gaming..

off-topic -> Zeeshan, totally agreed on RE4! Do you play mercenaries?
Just like good pc games come out on console , many of the good console games coming out are coming out for PC too like GTA SA, DMC-3, POP series.

I hope you guys control your emotions and anger. This is a simply debate of technology. No need to get personal.

OP
ring_wraith

ring_wraith

=--=l33t=--=
Wow..... you ARE completely ignorant aren't you.....

Ahem.. so you are saying that "my eyes start hurting while playing console games" is a valid point? How ? And you have not seen more than 10 hours of tv in the past 3 years???? Hands up all those who believe this....

You say that few PC-type games are released on consoles. have you personally owned a console? If not then i don't believe you would be familiar with the games released for consoles. So i won't even bother stating examples to prove you wrong.

And like i've already stated before in this thread, Console games being shifted to PCs is a lot more rare than the inverse.

And the nerve of you calling me a fanboy. I happen to be an avid PC and Console gamer, who has finally realized why consoles are indeed better.

The fact is that subconsciously you are automatically supporting your purchase decision. I'm sure that instead of a PC you owned a console, your posts would look a lot more different.

And no, I am not taking this personally. I was merely using that tone of writing to emphasize my points.

nish_higher

Wise Old Owl
ring_wraith said:
Is that directed to me?
nope.

adithyagenius said:
Most of the population out there dont have indepth knowledge of computers to keep them at peek performance and choose the right hardware and save money. that why they go to consoles. so, more geeks use PC than consoles
u gotta be kidding me.and if i m not wrong most of kids ask their parents to buy a pc.now only exceptional kids are geeks and not everyone.there are a very few ppl who ask their parents for a console and as said earlier by a member-its easier to ask parents for a pc than a console.

also this thread is about gaming which means plain fun and nothing more than that.no experience needed i suppose.even a 4yr old can play on any console or PC.

adithyagenius

I WANT MORE FPS!!
Refresh rates of TV and the image quality were the main reasons I didn't purchase xbox or PS 2 in singapore.

I don't have familiarity. But I am getting a very good over-all idea from all the "on the spot" videos of gamespot and stuff i saw from youtube. Liking the type of game is personal taste and not logic.

I can't subconsciously supporting purchase decisions since i haven't purchased anything recently. I am going to purchase in sug-sept 08 and I always do weigh titles and cost before choosing gaming hardware for computer or console. I have Rs 1,33,000 from scholarship (hopefully if I continue to top, right now have only Rs 60k). If I feel I made a bad decision and see awesome games , I will pour my money to rectify my decision because of addiction. Addiction >>> Ego.
Last time I was choosing between 7600gt and ps2, 7600gt won. Right now it looks like PC has still got the gaming unless GTA 4 not going PC is confirmed. that game is enough to sway my decision.

nish_higher said:
nope.

u gotta be kidding me.and if i m not wrong most of kids ask their parents to buy a pc.now only exceptional kids are geeks and not everyone.there are a very few ppl who ask their parents for a console and as said earlier by a member-its easier to ask parents for a pc than a console.

also this thread is about gaming which means plain fun and nothing more than that.no experience needed i suppose.even a 4yr old can play on any console or PC.

True in India. But the people who have choice...

Last edited:

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
well personally for me, i get bored if i play a game 3+ times, like NFS PU, MW.

but the modders community kill that boredom by releasing new car mods, like Enzo Ferrari, Buggatti Veyron...

online play is always fun. be it on console or pc

jus a doubt, is XBoX live free?

Consoles ARE good, but gaming on PC is far more cheaper. (games are cheap, not talking of top-end gfx.card/pc, pc=multi purpose...).

adithyagenius

I WANT MORE FPS!!
s18000rpm said:
well personally for me, i get bored if i play a game 3+ times, like NFS PU, MW.

but the modders community kill that boredom by releasing new car mods, like Enzo Ferrari, Buggatti Veyron...

online play is always fun. be it on console or pc

jus a doubt, is XBoX live free?

Consoles ARE good, but gaming on PC is far more cheaper. (games are cheap, not talking of top-end gfx.card/pc, pc=multi purpose...).

my friend told me xbox live not free.
Is NFS worth playing after installing new cars. I got bored in NFS MW by the time I reached blacklist 4. This happened twice.

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
Nope Xbox Live is not free but it's worth the Money .

Subscription costs Rs 2k for a Year allowing you to play games,Voice chat n Messenging .

You can also opt for the free version of Xbox Live(i.i. Silver) which does not include multiplayer support . But you get free multiplayer on weekends :)

On a Quality/Price scale consoles win hands down . The Xbox 360 Core costs Rs 15k Now , that too with capability of supporting games at 1920 x 1080 at 60 FPS . that's much better than what you will be able to run even in a 60k Gaming PC .

@adithyagenius , bu your statement of "PC Type games" and "Console type games" , could you list some games that fit your category of only "PC Type Games"(possibly of this year and last year only) .

My second question , will you be able to play all the latest games on your PC at the setings mentioned above ? If not then you can buy a Good Performance PC + Console that will cost the same as a Gaming PC ( coz latest GFX cards only cost 15k ) that will play all the latest games .

adithyagenius

I WANT MORE FPS!!
Zeeshan Quireshi said:
Nope Xbox Live is not free but it's worth the Money .

Subscription costs Rs 2k for a Year allowing you to play games,Voice chat n Messenging .

You can also opt for the free version of Xbox Live(i.i. Silver) which does not include multiplayer support . But you get free multiplayer on weekends :)

On a Quality/Price scale consoles win hands down . The Xbox 360 Core costs Rs 15k Now , that too with capability of supporting games at 1920 x 1080 at 60 FPS . that's much better than what you will be able to run even in a 60k Gaming PC .

@adithyagenius , bu your statement of "PC Type games" and "Console type games" , could you list some games that fit your category of only "PC Type Games"(possibly of this year and last year only) .

My second question , will you be able to play all the latest games on your PC at the setings mentioned above ? If not then you can buy a Good Performance PC + Console that will cost the same as a Gaming PC ( coz latest GFX cards only cost 15k ) that will play all the latest games .

Why do you want to limit it to last 2 years only. it takes away the advantage of the number of game titles PC has compared to Xbox360, one main reason to remain with PC. I have yet to finish some games. Last week I finished Grim Fandango. Lets make, it last 3 years to cover recent trends. HL2 series, FEAR series, Titan Quest, Hellgate London, GTA SA ( I know its console but its PC type and hence sold more on PC + graphics + mouse aiming and not autolocking), Stalker, c&c 3, you get the idea. What is more important than what was released recently is what you can still play - cs series, warcraft series, UT2004, Quake 3 modded . I play them on hostel LAN a lot mainly cs.

Regarding 1920*1080 (which is anyway generally upscaled and not real res), I have 17" CRT. I cannot buy huge HDTV due to cost and wastage (don't have cable tv of dish. noone at home including me watches TV), even if I did I cannot keep it my room or carry it to hostel, even if i take it to hostel, my room mate will fight for the space. Resolution is only increased to reduce boxiness as screen size increase. Also Screen size is used to increase angle subtended at eye. Hence, the distance at which I sit 19" is the best. Anything more will make the image go out of field of vision causing me to keep looking around to keep updated on whats going on in every part of the screen. But I have 17" and I am happy with it. 1024*768 is the optimum res for this display size. No increase in quality when moving to 1280. finally it comes down to what it looks to my eyes. High image quality at optimum resolution on optimum size screen vs high upscaled res on large screen.

What I want most is image quality which depends on texture quality. PC has always been having the highest texture quality. Even Halo series released on PC had higher texture. Remeber after few years after release of PS2 , computer beat PS2 in peformance. with quad cores going cheaper, 2 gb ram becoming standard and card like 8800gt which faster than ps3 (read in article which said its twice as fast), do you expect scpec of xbox360 is enough?

For you console may be better if you buy hd tv. If you got cheap and good ISP which gives low pings on xbox live and have friends online. I got friends on very low ping LAN as well as on WLAN. I cannot have HDTV. I want to play old PC games too. I like immersive FPSs, RPGs and RTS and I am bored of beat-em games and I am not pervert enough for anime women with big boobs which follow different laws of physics to make me play anime games.

Also buying HDTV+console+performance PC is costlier than performance PC + graphics card. Dont say console is only 15k. xbox in hyd is costlier and I would want feature rich xbox360 (with HDMI cable) and it costs 23k inlusive of taxes. Added cost of xbox live and setting up devices to ease switching internet connection and speaker connection everytime I shift from pc to console and vice versa). I am not going to buy expensive console games, neither will I settle to play lame games my only xbox360 owning friend buys.
to conclude...

Poll: Is PC gaming pointless?
answer: no as per results.
Reason: people like me exist who want something console doesnt offer but PC does that exactly.

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
WHY PC's are better than consoles...

a tech person from GameSpot tell us

*www.gamespot.com/video/0/6183473/videoplayerpop?&ont_override=13897

[video]

:p:p:p

ROFL

Crysis pwns 'em all in gfx.

he says to see gfx. like that, you'll need PS4 or XBoX 720 :lol:

"PC gaming will always be there on the cutting edge" 8)

Last edited:

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
One more thing which I would like to add for PC gaming is the recent trend which has caught up in purchasing games online.Clients like Steam offer legit game purchase over the internet.Allows to you pre-load the game before it's releases & once the game is released officially you can go ahead & play the game on the very same day along with the whole world.I'm not sure about the consoles but I did hear somewhere that you could purchase & download classic titles via Xbox live,but not too sure until someone confirms it.But the point is they wont allow game downloads & thus we would need to wait till the game officially releases out here or get it ordered from an online site & wait till it arrives.;)

I personally hate steam but many of my friends have actually found this as a good medium to buy games online & are content with it.

adithyagenius

I WANT MORE FPS!!
Another advantage of steam is that, you can go to a new computer and install steam and and download full games if you own them. Once I was in my friends place but I felt like playing hl2 and didn't have install discs. So I downoaded steam, logged into my account and downloaded the game. Another advatnage of steam helps solve the problem of HL2 series. HL2 series keeps getting complete upgrades. After lost coast, valve got a proper HDR module for graphics engine. All these update over time would be large like downoading totally new. So I can take backups using steam along with all the updates and upgrades. so if original CDs get screwed, I can still take backups which are better than orignal game. Pre-steam era, my opposing force CD got slightly scratced and for replacement I had to pay 1 UK pound on top mailing expenses to UK. So I instead downloaded CD image from internet illegaly. Now such problems dont exist, thanks to steam.

OP
ring_wraith

ring_wraith

=--=l33t=--=
adityagenius, you are just grasping at straws and repeating your points. None of your problems are real problems. Please attempt to post stuff that will apply to the general gaming population. I'm sure that most people will not get a sudden urge to play HL2 at their friend's house. And you downloaded it? You downloaded 2+ GB to satisfy your urge? Wow. Hats off to you.

Updates are given in consoles also.... oh man.... how many times do i have to mention that consoles are auto-updating....

And how many times do i have to mention that the price difference between console games and PC games is narrowing.... PS2 games can be had for 499, The Xbox360 and PS3 are naturally more expensive as they are new.... were PC games cheap when the PC was launched?????

And who says you can't back up console games? Sure you need a modchip, but so what , a good modcip costs 2k, and a decent one 1k....and that is the best 1k you will ever spend...

s18000rpm, no one is disagreeing that PC graphics are better than console graphics, but the point is , how much money will you have to spend to get a PC high-end enough to make a game look better on it as compare to a console..... Consoles are PC equivalents of Medium-High settings at a 1080p resolution for the latest games..... so stop rofling.

nish_higher

Wise Old Owl
well adityagenius what u mentioned is not legit afaik.any game's distribution aint right and thats also written on orange box dvd.so man i wouldnt considr this point when buying a gaming gadget.sure pc has an advantage that once u install u can use a no-cd patch if u have original game.so that saves ur media from scratches.
+ those who are worried about consoles having no mouse--
*www.consoleshop.com/product.php?productid=16497
this is for xbox360

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
ring_wraith said:
s18000rpm, no one is disagreeing that PC graphics are better than console graphics, but the point is , how much money will you have to spend to get a PC high-end enough to make a game look better on it as compare to a console..... Consoles are PC equivalents of Medium-High settings at a 1080p resolution for the latest games..... so stop rofling.
lets discuss & not fight.

tell me the price of console (not ps2/xbox, but latest) & a decent TV on which they can enjoyed.

PC price
proc.- e4500/e6550 = 4.5-7.5k
m/b - 4-10k (depends on u)
ram- 3GB DDR2 =~4k
gfx. card - ~6-20k
hdd- 320GB= ~3.5k
19" LCD monitor - ~10k
extras - ~4k

a equivalent to 19" monitor will be 32"+ tv (coz we sit far from them:p).

i'm not saying consoles suck...or something.

i just replied to the question - "Has PC gaming become pointless?"

-------------------
consoles are long term investment, but a 60k pc will not get outdated as some say, it'll play newer games at almost max settings for atleast two years & what more you can watch/encode/work... on a pc.

-------------------
i'd play a racing game on PC, as we sit really close to monitor.
-------------------

i'd hav bought a Xbox360, but the games are soooo costly that i jus gave up the idea.

btw when you say console are cheaper, dont forget to include the price of TV too:p (32"+ tv that is:)))

Last edited:

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
^21" TV.

hmmm

nah. 32"+ is bare min.

we've to (i) sit min. 6 feet away from TV, so the bigger the better:p

[not pointing at anyone]
man when you throw away 20-30k on a console, you should buy a LARGE tv, atleast a 40" lcd.

each game costs 2.5k:shock: if i have that kind of money, i'd buy a 60" TV to enjoy them:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom