Has PC gaming become pointless?

Do you think PC gaming has become pointless?

• Yes

Votes: 40 40.4%
  • No

Votes: 59 59.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
s18000rpm said:
"PC gaming will always be there on the cutting edge" 8)
lolz that's whay i've telling ppl all the time .

To play all the latest games at the Highest settings you will need to upgrade your pc every 6-12 months .

Also , such a gaming beat will cost atleast 1 Lakh with a good set of Speakres and a Monitor to justify the GFX Quality .

Whereas on the Consoles , GFX quality is almost equal to that of PC's and Currently is better than what most High-End(50-60k) PC's can output and way better than what current mid-range pc's can output .

So getting an Xbox 360 or PS3 will guarantee you that you can play games for the next Five years without upgrading or anything .

s18000rpm said:
a equivalent to 19" monitor will be 32"+ tv (coz we sit far from them:p)
Dude , you can also use your Xbox 360 on an LCD Monitor , just get a VGA HD Cable and use it .

You then sit close to the monitor and enjoy games without investing money in a 32" HDTV .

adithyagenius said:
card like 8800gt which faster than ps3 (read in article which said its twice as fast), do you expect scpec of xbox360 is enough?
Dude , you're forgetting that the GPU of the 360 is better than the PS3's and also that the GPU's of Consoles are Dedicated and developers directly program for them .

Whereas in PC's there's a Hardware Abstraction Layer(HAL) and many other API's in between which make the effective performance of the GFX cards much lower than that of the Console's .

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
Zeeshan Quireshi said:
Whereas on the Consoles , GFX quality is almost equal to that of PC's and Currently is better than what most High-End(50-60k) PC's can output and way better than what current mid-range pc's can output .
thats b'coz all the games released for PC market are PORTs of consoles (x360), lazy game devs.:x
:D

if i do gaming on console, why wud i buy a 19" monitor?

i'd rather hav a laptop.
-------------------------------------

this threads going no-where:p

its like Winodws vs Mac.

bottom line

PC world - it will keep developing as usual & its h/w(gfx) dev. is not going to be locked for gaming but developed for gaming.
Crysis answers all

Consoles- only three players & its meant only for gaming - so obviously the h/w will be locked for ~5 years & then throw your console (like gfx. card:D) & get new one.

i wish there's jus one common platform for gaming. a gfx. card/proc./... something which can be used in pc as well as consoles (all).

OP
ring_wraith

ring_wraith

=--=l33t=--=
X360 console -15k
TV 32" - 37k

But including the cost the TV is hardly fair, as you are definetly going to buy a HDTV anyway, and it is a long-term investment.

And I cannot beleive you are saying that PCs are more future-proof than consoles.... the PS2 i have has served me well for over 5 years.... without spending a rupee on hardware.

How much would a PC cost you over 5 years?

And how does sitting close to a monitor affect racing games???

What we should do is buy a basic PC for non-gaming tasks such as encoding, surfing, downloading which should not sot more than 15-20k, and buy a console and HDTV, for 70k, you are set for 5 years.

The HAL will be present even if it is not a port! As will the various APIs!

P.S. - Consoles are not only three players, look at XBL and PSN, (sigh,)

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
s18000rpm said:
only three players & its meant only for gaming - so obviously the h/w will be locked for ~5 years & then throw your console (like gfx. card:D) & get new one.
Nah you can play your old console's games on it and play the latest games on your new console , both can be functional at the same time .

I still play Dead or Alive 2 and Resident Evil on my dreamcast even though i have an Xbox 360 .

Also , for game prices . now the prices have Decreased , most new games cost Rs 1895 and Xbox Classics cost Rs 999 . like Gears of War , DOA4 , Burnout Revenge , Perfect Dark: Zero , all these cost Rs 999 .

Well as i said you can borrow and exchange games with your friends and that makes the overall cost come down drastically .

Also , the second biggest advantage consoles have that you have many multi-player games as you can invite your friends over and ppay with them .

For example Burnout Revenge is simply awesome when playin with another friend , it just gives a whole new dimension to it .

Whereas in PC there are hardly any games that are enjoyable with 2 players .

adithyagenius

I WANT MORE FPS!!
nish_higher said:
well adityagenius what u mentioned is not legit afaik.any game's distribution aint right and thats also written on orange box dvd.

what are you talking about illegit? what did I do thats illegit? Whats written on orange box case that says its illegal?

@ring_wraith
I guess you made this thread to convert people to console. You even posted "you should buy computer and console." I just mentioned steam because it was brought up. You seem to be looking at only the smaller advatages. I also mentioned about game engine upgrades like HDR being added as and when they are developed. I wonder why you didnt notice that. Mention of steam is not even required. Best rpg, fps and rts being PC exclusive is enough. One or two get ported to consoles is useless.
I am repeating points because everytime I am being asked "what do you mean by *PC games*?". Lots of PC games are not going to come on consoles yet.

Zeeshan Quireshi said:
Nah you can play your old console's games on it and play the latest games on your new console , both can be functional at the same time .

I still play Dead or Alive 2 and Resident Evil on my dreamcast even though i have an Xbox 360 .

Also , for game prices . now the prices have Decreased , most new games cost Rs 1895 and Xbox Classics cost Rs 999 . like Gears of War , DOA4 , Burnout Revenge , Perfect Dark: Zero , all these cost Rs 999 .

Well as i said you can borrow and exchange games with your friends and that makes the overall cost come down drastically .

Also , the second biggest advantage consoles have that you have many multi-player games as you can invite your friends over and ppay with them .

For example Burnout Revenge is simply awesome when playin with another friend , it just gives a whole new dimension to it .

Whereas in PC there are hardly any games that are enjoyable with 2 players .

worms armageddon (ultimate fun)
bonkheads
jazz jackrabbit
future cop
some racing games my seniors play. I dont know because I dont play em.

Last edited:

nish_higher

Wise Old Owl
^ unauthorised copying,distribution,lending,renting,etc......
and if i m not wrong the game is supposed to be run on 1 pc with that lisence.correct me if i m wrong.

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
adithyagenius said:
worms armageddon (ultimate fun)
bonkheads
jazz jackrabbit
future cop
some racing games my seniors play. I dont know because I dont play em.
Dude these are Very Old games . I'm talkin bout next-gen games that you can play with your friends .

Jazz Jackrabbit was released way back in 1994 !

OP
ring_wraith

ring_wraith

=--=l33t=--=
I'm sorry, but what do i have to gain from converting people to console? You think I am some console dealer who is trying to advertise?

I am just trying to put my points across. And you are accusing me of looking at the smaller picture. Of course, why din't I realize that everyone's eyes pain after 10 mins. of using consoles.... and How could I also forget that everyone *feels* like playing HL2 but don't have the disc, so they download it via steam....

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
My conclusion:

1) Cutting edge games = PC (need to upgrade every now and then), but gives the best technology, artwork, experience

2) Future proof with decent resolution and audio: Console

I don't think anyone will disagree to it.

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
Only thing , Resolution of Consoles is not "Decent" by current standards :D

It'd be better to call it "Less than Max" or simply "High Definition" as all games have a native resolution of 'atleast" 1280 x 720 .

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
about what they posted:))

forum was restored. i guess:D

[sorry for this post, but the "save" button in edit option is not working :))]

nish_higher

Wise Old Owl
nothing like something not related to this thread.aditya was telling abt using steam games on diff pcs with 1 account.there were only 2-3 posts i think.nothin like spamming this thread

thrash_metal

In the zone
@adithyagenius

help me out here as i'm confused ........ according to you ,
1) I purchase Hl2 over steam over account 'a'
2) Activate it
3) Now go over a friends place and using account 'a' again download and activate it
4) Repeat step 3 as many number of times as I want
5) So at the end of the day , all my 10 friends have HL2 and can play it .

So this way I am breaking no laws and everything is legit ??????

nways , considering today people are opting for consoles than PC ... maybe you can say that consoles have the 'x' factor currently . And as for tv / monitor size debates .... u can attach a bigTV to a console but for PC gaming u need a small monitor ???? This is a useless point to debate on .

Agreed consoles are best on HDTV but they (HDTV) display is way better that standard PC monitors . A good display is the display which does justice to your room and yourself . For saying I might put up a point against consoles that I need a 130" custom made HDTV to play on a console ... and add that price to gaming on console !!!! Or worst I may also demand a HD projection unit to go along with it .

As someone mentioned TV size is nothing to do with console nor is monitor size anywhere related . thats the perfect point .

As for game prices I distinctly remember my friend buying a legit copy of FAR CRY (back in the days when its launched) for 1700/- ...... as someone pointed out earlier as PC gaming became set in our country prices dropped , same will be for consoles soon .

For people like me who are not "too much" into tech and dont care what's what untill the game is playing smooth and nice and you are comfy on your recliner , its easier to implement a console and play ... we want to enjoy games and not waste the little free time we have optimizing and fixing installation errors and waiting hours (if not days)for downloads consoles seem an easy way out .

Again i am not dissing PC gaming anyways ( I also have a PC which can run crysis pretty well @ high ... but thats another story ) ...

conclusion :: both have their own charm and bot have their own ups and downs ..... as i said earlier consoles currently have their mysterious 'x' factor involved which is taking them a notch higher .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom