Has PC gaming become pointless?

Do you think PC gaming has become pointless?

• Yes

Votes: 40 40.4%
  • No

Votes: 59 59.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

anirudhasarawgi

Journeyman
To fully enjoy xbox360/ps3 you need a 720p lcd tv with HDMI which costs 50k

So, to fully enjoy xbox360/ps3 75k is needed....a high-end pc also costs 75k

I am using single core system with 7800gt from Jan 2006 and I am able to play latest games on Dell E228wfp monitor on 720p resolution. I will be upgrading in Jan 2008, so we can run a 75k pc for 2 years.

devilz666

Broken In
anirudhasarawgi said:
To fully enjoy xbox360/ps3 you need a 720p lcd tv with HDMI which costs 50k

So, to fully enjoy xbox360/ps3 75k is needed....a high-end pc also costs 75k

I am using single core system with 7800gt from Jan 2006 and I am able to play latest games on Dell E228wfp monitor on 720p resolution. I will be upgrading in Jan 2008, so we can run a 75k pc for 2 years.

come on man , im sure it looks gr8 on a normal TV too

and considering a 75k investment in console and HDMI TV means tht TV will live longer than ur console will so its really long-long term investment.

and i m not (at all) against gaming on PC , coz thts my only link to gaming world, all i am saying is consoles are the best option for game frenzy ppl

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
pc i think is better .... i dont know ...
but since bcoz i am versed with it .. ithink it is good..
haven got enough xp on consoles...
ya played few but controls greatly suck.. (for me atleast)
compared to pc .. i think there is nt much freedom .. unless u get a keyboardand mouse and attach them.. as they ,mentioned above.. but again u should have a Hd supporting tv to get full XP///..

whtever ..

i cant get a console so stuck with pc ..

so supporting it ... ... hi hi :-D

OP
ring_wraith

ring_wraith

=--=l33t=--=
naveen, just coz you don't have a console, deoes'nt mean that you have to support the PC... that's called fanboyism, FYI.

I agree that to get the full experience you need a HD TV, but a 50k TV will be atleast 32"! 32" TV is indeed a long term investment, and most of us are probably going to go HD within the next two years anyway.

also, anirudhasarawgi, Technology is upgrading at a far more firece pace than before. And to get a system that will last you till 2010 for 75k is close to impossible.

faraaz

Evil Genius
I voted yes...and considering I am a SUPPORTER of PC gaming that's something. Here's why:

1) I've noticed that the number of quality titles being released for PC have gone down drastically. Unless you are talking about FPS games...but those are gay. Not a single QUALITY game has come out EXCLUSIVELY for the PC.

2) I usually keep track of the titles I am looking forward to being released. Over the years they kinda were from all platforms. However, my current wishlist only includes console games or console AND PC games...for example:
Bioshock, Assassin's Creed, Final Fantasy XIII, Tekken 6, Heavenly Sword, NFS Pro Street etc.

These two things show me that the gaming industry is shifting focus from computers to consoles. 5 years from now? PC gaming will be pointless I think.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
a good read on this topic:

*www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2188453,00.asp

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
iMav said:

But console gaming is much more masti man .

Just put in the DVD n start gaming , no installation or driver issues .

Also , my XBOX 360 games look much much better than the PS2 counterparts even on my Samsung 29 inch TV(480p) using Component input . using composite input degrades the overall image quality drastically .

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
iMav said:

very good article.

@ringwraith

Ar i told i am just stuck i just support.
Its not fanboyism..
But after reading this article i think i should support pc.

OP
ring_wraith

ring_wraith

=--=l33t=--=
I did happen to go through the article and have points to contradict every point in the article :

1)1500$ is not cheap in india. It is 60k... and after you consider the fact that almost every product is really high priced in india that figure starts going higher and higher. Also, they claim that you use your PC for other stuff as well. Even a basic 15-20k PC can do all those things bloody well. Agreed that now PC games are cheaper than their console counterparts. But with the increased acceptance of consoles everywhere, this is set to change.

2) This made no sense to me , considering patches are applied to both PCs and consoles and both are automated.

3)How does the third point affect you? How do you care as to which is selling more is beyond me. And this point is again voided by the fact that the any console that can come out will not have had a fan base of over 50 years as the PC has had. Consider the fact that after 50 years of PC and barely 10 years of PS2 , The PS2 became serious competition for the PC.

4) again, more of a defense for the PC. All of us know that the X360s system is far more stable and streamlined.

5)the fifth point again applies to both PCs and consoles, and more so to PCs.....

SO all said and done... all ET has to say is that PC gaming isn't all that bad, they really haven't put forward a solid statement saying "PCs pwn consoles".... coz they dont. Give consoles a few years more, as compared to PC gaming, console gaming is really in it's infancy.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
I dunno why but I haf a gut feeling that consoles will go the PC way, meaning you can replace the gfx card etc. (just as you can put in a bigger hdd). I hope this doesn't become true...

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
infra_red_dude said:
I dunno why but I haf a gut feeling that consoles will go the PC way, meaning you can replace the gfx card etc. (just as you can put in a bigger hdd). I hope this doesn't become true...
nah this wouldn't happen , coz this will again bring up the problem of Different configurations , then developers will have to use Hardware ABstraction Layer(HAL) which wil severy degrade performance and thus consoles will perform like normal pc's

the main strength of a console lies in it's uniform hardware archittecture so that the developer can fine tune the code for the platform .

also 99% of the code in console games is directly compiled without containing any DLL's , Abstraction Layers , Runtimes which is the reason for the console's stellar performance .

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Technology moves so fast.... What mite seem NOT possible today may well be possible tom. We may haf a standard specs. Who knows? Anyway that was just a feelin that I had and I wish it never becomes true.

OP
ring_wraith

ring_wraith

=--=l33t=--=
See that is not going to happen. Because if consoles , which play only games, require timely hardware upgrades , then they will become useless compared to PCs which need timely upgrades as well, but do everything.

However, small upgrades like increasing HDD size etc... which do not affect the gaming part of a console will become a norm pretty soon.

Count Dracula

Journeyman
PC's were never meant to be be used for gaming.Games were means of timepeass for whole day working employees for some relief.Now its a tradition.And also look at what other MORE IMPORTANT functions are PC's performing.
But for pure gaming,Consoles are the sole gears.

shashank ayyar

Right off the assembly line
if a pc is only for gaming purposes then yes.a ps3 or xbox360 is way cheaper than a rig that would give the same quality experience. if you plan to build a rig that would survive a few games into the future then its cheaper to buy an xbox with a highdef tv even.

OP
ring_wraith

ring_wraith

=--=l33t=--=
Agreed.

X360 (20k) + 32" 720p HDTV (50k) + PC for Net, Music, Movies etc.. (20k) = 80,000 [this will easily last for a few years]

SLi, Quad Core Gaming PC with 22" monitor - 80k
Eventual Upgrade in a year - 20k [atleast]

KHUBBU

Journeyman
Consoles are must if u r serious about gaming........no installation....no hardware/software requirements.....dont have to save money for ur next upgrade.....doesnt heats up...n u can easily carry it around ur frndz place...I was lucky to get a PS2 after wasting around 10K for my First gfx card....

Logic is simple...if u just want to note down somethng...notepad will do....but if u want a formatted letter etc u ll use Word.

But.... PC ALWAYS new games/releases.. which is what we want aint it?

Crysis will be released for PC first... not on consoles.. it will be released later.. but who f*cking cares?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom