harddisk hanging during boot(more info inside)

Status
Not open for further replies.

casual_gamer

In the zone
I have a Seagate 20gb harddisk as primary master, 120gb harddisk as primary slave. Both have 5 partitions each.
20gb has win98 and windows 2000. 120gb has windows 2003. So the problem is while booting to either win98 or win2000 the harddisk hangs but boots fine to windows 2003. I checked the seagate 20gb with other computer, i got the same hanging problem during bootup. it makes some new sound like keek-keekkeek-keek....

I used Hiren's boot cd and did various diagnostics on the 20gb disk but it did not show any error and not a single bad sector but still it hangs. Now i am posting this from win2003 installed on 120gb slave. If i access any partitions on 20gb disk, win2003 hangs after 2 minutes. The screen freezes if i allow windows 2003 to perform scandisk on 20gb disk.

So is my 20gb disk about to die or will formatting solve the problem?

Last edited:
OP
C

casual_gamer

In the zone
Nothing helped. The Hard disk sentinel software said the 20gb disk is deteriorating day by day. It kept on developing lots of bad sectors. The health status came from 86%(4 days back) to 30% today. The slave 120gb health shows 60% health but i broke the warranty myself due to my stupidity when i bought the disk.
So bought a 80gb disk to replace my broken 7 year old 20gb. Restored all the norton ghost images and everythings normal again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom