Hard Disk Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

valtea

In the zone
My computer (win98se) refused to start . It displays the Scandisk window (Drive E) before it starts and it hangs there. I can however start in dos mode. and do "dir" in the dos mode. i tried scandisk E: . but it hangs there too. what will be the fastest way to start (repair) windows.

Note : I have done Scandisk C: (it compleated)

A

Ashwin Saxena

Hmmm.
I see....
Man your HDD has some bad sectors.
Run Full scandisc (through scan:scan for bad sectors)
Have you tried starting computer without running scandisk.Just Exit scandisk when you start computer.Than See.

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
@delta cancle than scandisk & try to boot in.... & then run the scandisk manualy without the surface scan...

then see whether u have bad sectors or not.... well mate there is lots of utility for recovering that bad sector or rather Quarantineing it.....

i think winXP & win server 2003 handels the bad sector better than any other windows.... but if the E: isnt ur boot drive then this isnt the time for panic yet...

abhishek_734

Broken In
AS YOU CAN RUN IN DOS MODE,I THINK THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH YOUR REGISTRY.TYPE THIS COMMAND AT THE DOS PROMPT AFTER MAKING YOUR WINDOWS DIRECTORY AS ROOT DIRECTORY.
SCANREG /RESTORE
OR SIMPLY
SCANREG
GO THROUGH THE PROCESS OF RESTORINGYOUR REGISTERY TO A PREVIOUS GOOD STATE
IF YOU TYPED 1ST CMD THEN YOU WILL SEE A LIST OF AVAILABLE BACK UPS .CHOOSE THE ONE FOR WHICH WINDOW STARTED AND RESTORE THAT REGISTERY AND REBOOT.

Nimda

l33t n00b!
There may be bad sectors in E:. Do a thorough scandisk on E: and tell us if it turned up any bad sectors. If it did show bad sectors, then go to your hard disk manufacturer's site. Most of them provide utilities to lock a particular portion of the HDD where bad sectors are found.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom