hard disk acting like a politician

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal_Gunners

Human Spambot
I HAVE A SAMSUNG SP4002H 40 GB DRIVE DIVIDED INTO THREE PARTITIONS. WHILE I CHECKED THE PROPERTIES OF 'D' IT SHOWED 9.88GB
USED THEN I ENTERED AND MANUALLY SELECTED ALL THE FOLDERS IN THERE.IT SHOWED ONLY 7.21 GB.SAME THING IN OTHER PARTITIONS ALSO.
THERE IS NO CASE OF PAGE FILE WHICH IS SET TO 200MB PER PARTITION.
WHAT CAN BE THE CAUSE

fragileninja

Broken In
Thats probably bcoz of hidden system folders like "RECYCLER" and "System Volume Information". Check if u've sum files and folders in Recycle Bin.... or else system restore may be eating up some of ur hd resources....

Btw, its time to upgrade ur HD

saROMan

QA Juggler
BY default Recycle Bin Reserves some space from each part approx 10% i guess..right click on Bin ..and navigate to d: ..and see how many space is reserved ...also if u have XP then Sysem restore may have occupied the space...go to folder option-> show all files(hidden/system etc) and now chk the "RECYCLER" and "System Volume Information" folders as told by fragileninja

BTW fragileninja i have 15 GB hdd ..and it Works great for me :wink: ...so what wll u suggest me :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

fragileninja

Broken In
saROMan said:
BTW fragileninja i have 15 GB hdd ..and it Works great for me :wink: ...so what wll u suggest me :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've 160 GB on my new sys with an 80GB partition for movies :D But somehow I keep running out of space... :(

On the other hand I've my PII 266 MHz with 20GB HD and I've never been able to fill it up.... :D :D

yehmeriidhain

In the zone
Actually, In Windows some space is devoted to recycle bin & system restore(if U r on XP) from each & every partition .. defaut is 10% for recycle bin & 12% for System Restore .. so dunt worry! ..

Just to get back ur space make recycle bin! space to zero .... & turn off the system restore settings for once then check again wat U checked before! :D U'll see the correct & accurate results probably! ...

& forgot to tell ya :oops: .. from the windows installed partition .... if U keep hibernation ON! then tht also takes some space from tht partition! .. also, ur virtual memory! takes some space but it doesn't affect much!

Try out wat all have been suggested! U'll get back ur space safe .. gud luck! & relax! :oops:

ShekharPalash

Web Entrepreneur
Check if you have Windows System Restore Serviceon. System Restore creats and store restoration points whenever u intall any software/hardware/Windows Update.

Which usually takes hundreds of MBs to run...

Here's how to see it...

Run > SysDM.CPL > System Restore

To delete all recent restoration point... by defult the folder hwere the data is stored is not accessible and it is under this folder... System Volume Information

Run > cleanmgr.exe > Select the partition > More Options > System Restore > Clean up...

Or perm disable System Restore Service from SysDM.CPL.

PS:... lol... the title of threadis cool... HD behaving like politicians ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom