[Guitar query] Should I go in for amp or distortion?

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
How much is the shop quoting the price?

Rs. 5000

Also, what do you guys think about Roland amps like the Micro cube?

@zangetsu,

First get an acoustic guitar for about 3k. Then goto youtube or ultimate-guitar.com and go wild.

Do exercises regularly.

vsher

Right off the assembly line
sorry, taking a tangent, once we have an amp and effect set how now to interface with the pc i.e. i am a lead soloist and need strumming tracks to back my lead practice, any info will be great

OK sorry for late reply. I'm gonna try to cover all possible "guitar queries" here from prospective guitarists regardless of whether such a question is asked or not. :D

According to personal experience with temporarily dead ears avoid cheap marshalls like plague. The ones you hear of in big bands, they're the JCMs costing over 1 lakhs. Cheap marshalls make sound seem horrible. Same goes for Stranger and Kustom Sound (this is a mumbai based co).

At 5k, there are only two amps you can actually consider as a beginner for practice and they are both really good: Roland Micro Cube and VOX Mini3. They are small battery/adapter powered 2W and 3W amps respectively but come with tonnes of quality in-built effects. And when you wanna perform live you can send line-out to PA system's mixer and it'll be loud then. But for practice these two are best. Check them out at a nearby store like furtados. Buy the one which has more models which suit your style of playing. But between them I bet majority of ppl will be covered and can comfortably buy one. These two are the CHEAPEST amps which WILL NOT KILL your ears, WILL NOT BORE you as they've nice effects and will make great practice amps which you most likely won't sell even after turning pro.

I bought a Kustom Sound Cube 15FX for Rs. 2250. Now I'm regretting my purchase because the distortion is hopeless and clean isn't too great either. So I had to purchase a Boss DS-2 analogue distortion pedal for 3.7k. Again a mistake because back then I hadn't researched distortion pedals. The DS-2 sounds great when played with expensive tube amps but not with a cheap solid-state amp. Nor is it powerful enough for heavy metal rhythm guitar and it can't be directly sent to PA mixer. I should've gone for a DigiTech Death Metal or something like that instead. Point is, speak to someone qualified before making a purchase. Its money you're putting in, so better invest wisely.

And then there are those multiple effects pedals. Best thing to do in guitars is to try and find these things used. I found a DigiTech RP-50 used selling for 1.7k in New Delhi. Same goes for amps and stuff and also guitars if you find someone who is experienced and can check the instrument for you. People often upgrade to expensive stuff when it comes to guitars so its really easy to find dirt cheap (often 50% to 70% of original price) used components which are pretty nice sounding for the price. This is especially true for multi-effects pedals because as technology changes, people constantly upgrade. Analogue pedals are harder to find used because they're one-time investments if you've a good amp. The only trouble you'll have is if you play lefty guitar like me. I had to spend 5 months getting a rare lefty instrument. And these definitely don't come second hand ;)

Now to answer any questions regarding practice. Best bet is go to youtube and look for backing tracks. A lot of people have uploaded those. That or simply play along with songs. You just need good sounding speakers and you're ready to go. If you wanna "synchronize" backing track with guitar you need a MIDI capable instrument and such guitars are really expensive. Instead spend Rs. 700 on a tuner-cum-metronome and practice playing to time. All songs are played to a time signature. Figure this out and you can play with any backing track.

Finally PC connectivity. Sometimes you might want to record directly via PC's Line-In jack. Problem is the sound quality will be pathetic. Some companies manufacture USB audio interfaces which retail for under 2k. Or you could get a PCI soundcard if its a desktop which supports a proper line-in jack which is 0.5" in size. On windows use GuitarFX software for amp modelling and effects. On Linux Ubuntu Studio rules.

And finally, starters should never buy Floyd Rose style floating bridge guitars. You need to re-adjust the whole setup whenever you shift between completely different tunings like D-tuning dropped to C (SOAD style), C-tuning dropped to A (Nu Metal lulz) and Standard E-tuning. Unless you would only at the most temporarily go for a half-step down or drop-D tuning and play a single song, a floating tremulo kinda kills the fun of learning to play different songs. Besides, while a whammy might look cool and you will wanna try dive-bombing and all those funky tricks with it, it gets stale after a while especially if you know NOTHING ELSE. Go Floyd Rose when you develop a proper technique and an original style. Not when starting off.

abhidev

Human Spambot
@metalHead: i wanna buy a acoustic guitar...can you please suggest which one are the best in terms of sound and build quality....also which cut('O' or 'F')....I liked the sound of the 'O' cut guitar more than the 'F' cut...seemed more bold and deeper sound. Also I found 'Granada' guitars to be good,not sure about it... So please help me with this...

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
^^
@abhidev, I suggest you start with a guitar with an O soundhole, since it gives a more prominent and deep bassy sound. But, its depends more on the size of the body. I suggest you get a guitar with an O sound hole and a larger body.

BTW, everyone, I have finally got an Roland Micro Cube, and I'm loving it XD

abhidev

Human Spambot
@desmod: yea even i felt the difference in the sound between 'O' and 'F' cut...felt 'O' cut produces much deeper and as you said bassy sound....well can you please suggest a good brand...probably would get it from Furtados...since its my first 6 string...i want it to be the best one though not very costly...

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
@desmod: yea even i felt the difference in the sound between 'O' and 'F' cut...felt 'O' cut produces much deeper and as you said bassy sound....well can you please suggest a good brand...probably would get it from Furtados...since its my first 6 string...i want it to be the best one though not very costly...

How much is your budget? I highly recommend a budget of atleast 5000. A Gb&a guitar will be good enough for beginning, but take the larger body variant.

abhidev

Human Spambot
My budget is arnd 5-6k...also I haven't heard much of Gb&A but i have seen Granada guitar and it sounded good...also i saw the guitars on Furtadosonline.com....there are many models....can you please help me with that...

Can you pls check the following links...also I don't understand the PRLD-18 CEq mean...

Furtadosonline.com : Hofner, Acoustic Guitar, Dreadnought, HAS-01 /Natural

Furtadosonline.com : Granada, Acoustic Guitar, Dreadnought, Cutaway with EQ, PRLD-18CEQ /Trans Blue

Furtadosonline.com : Granada, Acoustic Guitar, Dreadnought Cutaway, Curly Ash Top, With EQ, PRFLD-19CEQ /Trans Red

Furtadosonline.com : GB&A, Acoustic Guitar, Cutaway, AG150Y -Black

Furtadosonline.com : Granada, Acoustic Guitar, Dreadnought PRLD-18 /Trans Blue

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
My budget is arnd 5-6k...also I haven't heard much of Gb&A but i have seen Granada guitar and it sounded good...also i saw the guitars on Furtadosonline.com....there are many models....can you please help me with that...

Can you pls check the following links...also I don't understand the PRLD-18 CEq mean...

Furtadosonline.com : Hofner, Acoustic Guitar, Dreadnought, HAS-01 /Natural

Furtadosonline.com : Granada, Acoustic Guitar, Dreadnought, Cutaway with EQ, PRLD-18CEQ /Trans Blue

Furtadosonline.com : Granada, Acoustic Guitar, Dreadnought Cutaway, Curly Ash Top, With EQ, PRFLD-19CEQ /Trans Red

Furtadosonline.com : GB&A, Acoustic Guitar, Cutaway, AG150Y -Black

Take your pick among these. Though the equalizers are a bit excessive considering you're beginning, but the Hofner is good. The GB&A has a larger sound hole, but the Granada has a larger body. I suggest you try it at the shop before buying it, in order to check whether you are comfortable with the build, than blindly buying it online. I would recommend you accompany some guy with some experience to the shop and hear his opinion about it too as well as you try it.

abhidev

Human Spambot
thanx for the reply...well will take someone experienced...but well i liked the guitar in the 4th link...it also has a cut...what do u think abt it...

Also can u pls post a pic of your guitar...

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Check here:
*www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1556156672726.2079684.1499503525&l=2fb8d89384&type=1

The black electric is my Ibanez and the acoustic one is my GB&A.

abhidev

Human Spambot
nice...from how many years have you been playing guitar...also hows ur exp with GB&A...if compared with Granada....which one do you think is better?

Top Bottom