GTX280 not running with AsRock motherboard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

prankie

D PrankMaster
This is my system configuration

AMD Phenom II X2 550BE
AsRock M3A785GXH/128M
2GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM
550W Cooler Master Real power supply
and Zotac Geforce GTX280 Graphics card

The problem is that despite the system being brand new, the gfx card fails to run..
But when I inserted my friend's old Radeon card in the system it ran perfectly!!
There is no display on monitor when 280GTX is plugged in. The card is not faulty as it runs on my other AMD rig with Asus mobo. I have tried resetting the BIOS, and have also contacted the tech support, but they haven't replied yet...
what could be the prob???

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Buddy it may be loose connectivity issue. Try to tighten the screws properly and check the cable connectivity.

OP
prankie

prankie

D PrankMaster
cables are connected properly, the card shows green light, even the fans runs.. but no display! :(

quan chi

mortal kombat
dude then i think the issue would be something minor like vickybat said some connectivity issue.though it might not be a connectivity issue but something similar.

you can check your screen refresh rate.

try to check all the settings again.

OP
prankie

prankie

D PrankMaster
^^^
If the PCI-E card is detected by the mobo, then no display comes from onboard graphics.. in my case, there is no display via card's DVI out, onboard graphics showing display..!

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
^^^
If the PCI-E card is detected by the mobo, then no display comes from onboard graphics.. in my case, there is no display via card's DVI out, onboard graphics showing display..!

your mobo got 2 Pcie X 16 slots? if yes u may need a switch card. i not sure, but u may need it. or try installing card in 2nd slot.

Jripper

Pro/An---tagonist xD
^
Hmmm...does a screen's refresh rate have anything to do with improper display from a graphics card?Like this one,for example?

Say if a monitor's refresh rate is 60 Hz,does it mean that there will be no display if a graphics card is attached?

OP
prankie

prankie

D PrankMaster
@sam
my card has 3 PCI-E slots, with speeds 16x. 8x and 4x respectively.. i tried swapping the cards on all the slots, but no joy..

@Jripper
Screen's refresh rate shudn't be a concern.. btw, I'm using samsung 2033sw (20") LCD as the display

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^
In the above issue refresh rate is not a problem, the GTX280 is perfectly capable to punch out those refresh rates. It is an industry standard.

Prankie, see you board below. And I have highlighted a manual switch unit that is used to enable/disable multi GPU assignments on your board.
*img44.imageshack.us/img44/4571/asrockmotherboard.jpg
Is that paddle set for Cross fire mode. You will have to check the manual for that. Also when mounting discrete accelerators you will need to disable the IGP. It is working with a Radeon card, cause the board will internally Xfire, but conflicting with your GeForce. Disable the IGP from the BIOS. Let us know.

OP
prankie

prankie

D PrankMaster
^^
That paddle is set to 16x which is the default poition, I'll chk the bios once again tomorow..
Thanks for giving ur valuable time for my problem :)
I'll update you ppl tomo..

quan chi

mortal kombat

Thats strange.
but still do first as asigh has said.one thing is sure there is some minor hw/sw conflicting issue here.

Also when mounting discrete accelerators you will need to disable the IGP

most importantly do this.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
@sam
my card has 3 PCI-E slots, with speeds 16x. 8x and 4x respectively.. i tried swapping the cards on all the slots, but no joy..

oh yes, it got 3 @ 8X + 8X + 4X. or 16X when using paddle card.

Prankie, see you board below. And I have highlighted a manual switch unit that is used to enable/disable multi GPU assignments on your board.
*img44.imageshack.us/img44/4571/asrockmotherboard.jpg
Is that paddle set for Cross fire mode. You will have to check the manual for that. Also when mounting discrete accelerators you will need to disable the IGP. It is working with a Radeon card, cause the board will internally Xfire, but conflicting with your GeForce.

not exactly. the bios or board will check if the mounted card is HD4350. HD3450 or so. if yes Hybrid CrossFire. else the IGP should turn off my itself. matters looks its only cause is paddle card. & using paddle card very very annoying.

i not think if the board trying crossfire with a Opposition's card :razz:

OP
prankie

prankie

D PrankMaster
**UPDATE**
tried friend's 9600GT on the motherboard, and it worked flawleslly... now I'm confused!! is there a compatibility issue with GTX280?

OP
prankie

prankie

D PrankMaster
The graphics priority was set to PCI-E from the very first time I inserted the card...
I enquired at some AsRock forums and found out that there might be some incompatibility with my current config and card. the solution is custom BIOS which AsRock might provide.. I think they wud be workin on it that's why they haven't replied..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom