GTX 580 to GTX 760, will that be a worthy upgrade?

ithehappy

Human Spambot
As the title asks. I have a MSI GTX 580 Lightning or something (1.5 GB), it's performing okay, but in some games frames did drop below 40, like BF4, Crysis 3 etc. The card is running on stock clock, haven't over-clocked yet. If I buy a GTX 760, would that be a nice and worthy upgrade from mine, or should I wait and get a 780 when prices fall down? My budget is somewhat limited around ₹ 24-25k.
Thanks.

Btw, I play at 1680x1050

PS:
NVIDIA ONLY

Last edited:

rock2702

Padawan
Hold on to your 580 until something like a gtx 860 based on Maxwell comes out.760 is just slightly better than a 580.

tkin

Back to school!!
As the title asks. I have a MSI GTX 580 Lightning or something (1.5 GB), it's performing okay, but in some games frames did drop below 40, like BF4, Crysis 3 etc. The card is running on stock clock, haven't over-clocked yet. If I buy a GTX 760, would that be a nice and worthy upgrade from mine, or should I wait and get a 780 when prices fall down? My budget is somewhat limited around ₹ 24-25k.
Thanks.

Btw, I play at 1680x1050

PS:
NVIDIA ONLY
For 1680X1050? Hold on, GTX760 isn't worth the money or the speed bump. Wait for next gen, or get AMD.

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Okay thanks both. Yes, res will be that, not finding enough motivation to go for full HD, which is a mere upgrade from my current resolution.
So I guess I am sticking with it, and wait for next gen GPUs to arrive, as the speed bump won't be worth investing for. And I only use Intel/Nvidia, so that other brand is out of league for me always, sorry not wanna hurt anyone.

tkin

Back to school!!
Okay thanks both. Yes, res will be that, not finding enough motivation to go for full HD, which is a mere upgrade from my current resolution.
So I guess I am sticking with it, and wait for next gen GPUs to arrive, as the speed bump won't be worth investing for. And I only use Intel/Nvidia, so that other brand is out of league for me always, sorry not wanna hurt anyone.
I was like you once, then I saw the light: AnandTech | Bench - GPU14

What bugged me this gen is the fact nVidia gpus are priced like crazy, based on performance a GTX770 should come at 22k around, instead we get a 30k+ mess. I had the 580 Lightning, the best card I'd owned, period.

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
I was like you once, then I saw the light: AnandTech | Bench - GPU14

What bugged me this gen is the fact nVidia gpus are priced like crazy, based on performance a GTX770 should come at 22k around, instead we get a 30k+ mess. I had the 580 Lightning, the best card I'd owned, period.
Yep, have read that benchmark chart of Anand. Undoubtedly the AMD cards (280/290) are priced a lot more practical than Nvidia cards, and way more affordable, but you know every one has some motto, and mine is to stick with what gives me piece of mind.
Do you really need to remind me that you had a 580, I mean ..... well. Anyway, I am sticking with it.

PS: Is their any site where I can check comparison charts of old cards vs new cards, like 580 vs 760/770 and all?

tkin

Back to school!!
Yep, have read that benchmark chart of Anand. Undoubtedly the AMD cards (280/290) are priced a lot more practical than Nvidia cards, and way more affordable, but you know every one has some motto, and mine is to stick with what gives me piece of mind.
Do you really need to remind me that you had a 580, I mean ..... well. Anyway, I am sticking with it.

PS: Is their any site where I can check comparison charts of old cards vs new cards, like 580 vs 760/770 and all?
Tomshardware used to release master benchmarks for all cards, google it.

Top Bottom