Grub Legacy v/s Grub 2 - Syntax help

aravind

Broken In
Hello!

I have installed Chromium OS along with my Ubuntu today following instructions at the following website.
multiboot [Chromium OS builds by Hexxeh]
The problem is that the author has given help regarding altering the Grub 2 menu list to be able to boot into Chromium. But I have configured my system in such a way that I have a Grub Legacy residing in a separate boot partition through which I boot into various OS's. I have my system configured with help from the instructions at the following page.
Multiple OS Installation -
Now I need help in altering the changes the author has given for Grub 2 so I could introduce them in my Grub Legacy so that I am able to boot into both Ubuntu and Chromium.

I tried comparing the previous entries in Grub Legacy and tried some adaptations. But as I'm a tech newbie, I'm having trouble with it.

The lines given by the author of the guide are the following.

menuentry "ChromiumOS" {
insmod ext2
set root=(hd0,x)
linux /boot/vmlinuz root=LABEL=C-ROOT rw noresume noswap i915.modeset=1 loglevel=1 quiet
initrd /boot/initrd.img
}

I have my C-ROOT in /dev/sda9 and my C-STATE in /dev/sda8.
So, I substituted (hd0,x) with (hd0,8).
Trying to adapt, I tried the following code.

title Chromium
root (hd0,8)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda9 rw (I tried ro istead of also here)
initrd /boot/initrd.img

But I get an error when I choose 'Chromium' in my Grub menu saying, "File missing" or something like that. I'm not exactly sure of the exact words of the message.

Can anyone help me out here?
Thanks!
Cheers!

nims11

BIOS Terminator
here
booting chromium os via grub - is this possible? - Chromium OS discuss | Google Groups

anyways, why don't u upgrade to GRUB 2?

OP
A

aravind

Broken In
Thanks for the reply, mate, as delayed as it is. :)

I finally did something (not sure what exactly :) ) by making analogies between Grub 2 and Grub Legacy and now I have my Chromium booting from Grub Legacy.

I actually have my PC setup following instructions from the following page
Multiple OS Installation -

And since I'm a Linux newbie, I don't understand why the author of the page chose Grub Legacy over Grub 2. And I'm not sure if the advantage offered by Legacy (according to the author) in having that separate boot partition would be wrecked if I upgrade to Grub 2. So, I thought 'Why try to fix something that ain't broke'?

Should I actually upgrade my Grub?

Cheers!

Top Bottom