Graphics Cards related queries here.

funkysourav

What The.... !!!
Re: Graphics Cards related "general" queries here.

Clear lot hoe did you manage the 580 in CM310?
what temps are you getting?
what fan setup?

clear_lot

Journeyman

^
with nvidia's default fan profile, fan idles at 40%. At that speed, idle temps= 62C.
but,
75% fan speed is not audible in the gtx580 with 1 ceiling fan in my room. so i keep it at that by default. at that speed, idle temps= 50C.

room ambient temps around 35C.

initially, the max fan speed allowed was 85%. but i modded the BIOS to get 100% fan speeds.

the fan becomes inaudible from 75% to hellishly loud at 100%.

in crysis, without OC, temps reach about 80C, on auto fan profile.

with OC 900/1800/4200 @ 1.113V , and a custom profile, i reach 82C on crysis.

i use headphones, so loud noise isnt really a problem.

the default fan in the 310 spins at about 1400RPM. is it low? i can barely feel air moving from it.
i think that a better fan will improve idle/load temps

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor

clear lot,you are mistaken.I play with 2 580 3GB models.In 1680x1050.

If you want to max out your games,like metro 2033 and Crysis you certainly need a single 580 minimum.

In the aforementioned games,Crysis(all very high,16xQ AA) runs 45-60 fps since vsync is on and metro 30-120fps(maxed out in game with 4x MSAA which is in game highest) since no vsync in game.

Also the 580/570 are more future proof.

I dont see any reason for you to say 6850.If all you play is source engine games, console ports etc,its a different story (C2 is an exception because to max it out in-game you need a 570 minimum in 1680x1050)

I have stated the above in subjective experience so dont ask for sources like Guru3D,HardOCP etc.

funkysourav

What The.... !!!

Great temps there Clear lot, but try to undervolt it more to a 79c temp levels
and yes a side 120mm and front 120mm fan might help a bit

clear_lot

Journeyman

@ extreme gamer
i would still say that 6850 at 1680x1050 res is more than enough, unless you want to upgrade the monitor in future.

@ funkysourav
the coolermaster 310 does not have front fan space. it has a side 120mm fan space. will get a fan in some time. the site says it has a fan slot available in front but there isnt any. on the other hand, the side panel has 2 slots for fans. one 120 and one 80mm , i think.

Last edited:

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor

well you can say that as long as you like.

but for future proof you need a single 570 minimum at 1680x1050.

I say this from experience buddy.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

clear lot,you are mistaken.I play with 2 580 3GB models.In 1680x1050.

If you want to max out your games,like metro 2033 and Crysis you certainly need a single 580 minimum.

In the aforementioned games,Crysis(all very high,16xQ AA) runs 45-60 fps since vsync is on and metro 30-120fps(maxed out in game with 4x MSAA which is in game highest) since no vsync in game.

Also the 580/570 are more future proof.

I dont see any reason for you to say 6850.If all you play is source engine games, console ports etc,its a different story (C2 is an exception because to max it out in-game you need a 570 minimum in 1680x1050)

I have stated the above in subjective experience so dont ask for sources like Guru3D,HardOCP etc.

Why you doing SLI on such low resolutions..?

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor

like i said I want something future proof.

22" screen is big enough for me.

If i had the dough i'd get 2560x1600.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

^^
Makes sense. And you have an Asus Rampage III series. Holy Cow...! ;)
Take my system, you are still future proofed, and I can use yours on my 1080pi..!

:)

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member

I can't get hold of this future-proof thing. If MS really releases Windows 8 next year and with it DX12, all the current cards with become a full API old. So how much future proof all the current DX11 cards are, even the behemoth 6990 & 590? Just a year or so. Very near future I must say.

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor

lets just say I have the best OCing X58 mobo out there, the RIIIE.

ofc this is only till the GA-X58-OC comes out lol(it OCed a 980x to 5Ghz on air OMG).

Future proof has little to do with DX iterations.
it depends on till how many years you can play games at your native resolution.

Also,, I want to see POSCAPS become standard feature on midrange-high end mobos.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member

Is resolution the only parameter of future-proofing? What about settings and features?

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor

yes.but as long as you can play at your native resolution nothing will look ultra-jagged or blurry.

indeed for us gamers IQ is very important and I would not settle for anything less than medium settings.

BUT you know its time to upgrade when your cards cant even handle native resolution.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member

How many years are you planning to use this setup?

tkin

Back to school!!

I've finally decided not to go with the 570, the reason is very simple, I'm probably moving out next year, either a job or mtech, don't wanna spend too much on this now, and also if ms releases dx12 next year, there goes the card down the drain, so for 1680x1050 560 hawk @ 1000/4400 will do fine, i might add one in future for sli as well, i'm gonna spend the extra cash to pimp my cabby, nzxt sentry 2 and a whole lot of leds and maybe some scythe fans.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member

Wise decision. For me these days its simple a wastage to spend more than 15k on GFX.

funkysourav

What The.... !!!

@ extreme gamer
i would still say that 6850 at 1680x1050 res is more than enough, unless you want to upgrade the monitor in future.

@ funkysourav
the coolermaster 310 does not have front fan space. it has a side 120mm fan space. will get a fan in some time. the site says it has a fan slot available in front but there isnt any. on the other hand, the side panel has 2 slots for fans. one 120 and one 80mm , i think.

it does have a fan slot
it is concealed
remove the front cabinet bezel sidewise to reveal the slot (120mm i guess)
the net-like formation on the front bottom and sides is not for show you know

Top Bottom