Graphics Cards related queries here.

nvidia

-----ATi-----
Re: All Graphics Cards related queries here.

I think the prices of XFX 8800GT are not updated in itwares.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

Hey, does GeForce 9 series supports DirectX 10.1?

nvidia

-----ATi-----

^^No.
Get ATI 3xxx series cards if you want DX 10.1.
Plannin to buy a new one?;) Whats your budget?

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

Is the mid-range of ATI 3xxx series out?

nvidia

-----ATi-----

^^Yeah...
You can get the 3850 for about 11k

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

Hmm...leave it. I have decided to buy graphics card next month along with LCD Monitor. By that time the price will be reduced & 11k is a lot to pay. I want AMD Radeon 3600 series at max.

From a consumer point of view, Direct10.1 sounds juicy & tempting, but from someone who knows the inside of Windows & DirectX 10, it is useless.

Thanx for the info.

nvidia

-----ATi-----

^^Ure welcome:)
I think it will reduce to about 9k by next month.
If you can spend 12k then you can get 8800GT from MSI.
Btw, whats the main improvement in DX10.1?

nish_higher

Wise Old Owl

Source-Wikipedia :))

Direct3D 10.1 was announced by Microsoft shortly after the release of Direct3D 10. It will be a minor update to the Direct3D 10 interface, adding features that had to be left out of the initial specification. Direct3D 10.1 sets a few more image quality standards for graphics vendors, and gives developers more control over image quality.[15] Its feature will be supported exclusively by new hardware.
The Direct3D 10.1 API will be included with Windows Vista SP1, which is currently in beta. The specification was finalized with the release of November 2007 DirectX SDK. [1] Direct3D 10.1 will be backwards compatible with Direct3D 10.0 hardware, but the new features will not be available until 10.1 compliant hardware is released. The only available Direct3D 10.1 hardware as of November 2007 is the Radeon HD 3000 series from ATI. NVIDIA will not be releasing any hardware to support Direct3D 10.1, the first GeForce 9 cards to be released will use GPUs from GeForce 8 series cards which support up to Direct3D 10.0. NVIDIA plans to go straight to Direct3D 11; but the first GPU specific to GeForce 9 series, is scheduled to be released before Direct3D 11.[16]
Direct3D 10.1 features bigger control over antialiasing (both multisampling AND supersampling with per sample shading and application control over sample position), more flexibilities to some of the existing features (cubemap arrays, independent blending modes). Direct3D 10.1 hardware must support the following features:
  • Mandatory 32-bit floating point filtering
  • Mandatory 4x anti-aliasing
  • Shader model 4.1

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

The primary improvement in DX10.1 is to further reduce the overhead of GPU & the code. It's true that pure DirectX 10.1 based games will give more performance then pure DirectX 10 games, but it will be max 5 or 10% improvement.

It makes sence for the developers to skip DX10.1 compleately.

For my own needs, a GeForce 8600GT supports DirectX 10 & OpenGL 2.0 which is good enough for my workstation needs due to which I don't want to look further. I know that Quadro is better for workstation but let Autodesk & Softimage release proper products for Windows Vista.

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"

From a consumer point of view, Direct10.1 sounds juicy & tempting, but from someone who knows the inside of Windows & DirectX 10, it is useless.
Windows or DirectX 10.1? Heh.. Kidding man.. I know im REALLY offtopic, but i JUST couldn't help myself from pulling your leg :D

Sorry to disrupt the flow of this thread :)

P.S.: Any provocative replies to this post will be mysteriously deleted.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

DirectX 10.1 over DirectX 10 from a consumer point of view is useless.

If you are buying a new graphics card, make sure it is DX 10.1

If you already have a DX 10 gfx card, stick to it,

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"

^^ I know what you meant. Was just kidding :p

nish_higher

Wise Old Owl

Source-*forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=43500

Cita: August 8, 2007
Microsoft Presents DirectX 10.1 Details at SIGGRAPH
By Jason Cross
discuss Discuss this now (1 posts)
At the SIGGRAPH graphics conference, Microsoft gave a presentation detailing some of the changes coming in DirectX 10.1. Those that are interested can view the presentation slides here. The highlights are as follows:

* DirectX 10.1 is a series of extensions to DirectX 10
* It's supported by upcoming graphics hardware, but not current DX10 hardware
* It requires (and will be part of) Vista Service Pack 1

This is business as usual, as far as DirectX is concerned. DX 10.1 hardware will be backwards compatible with DirectX 10, but current DX10 hardware won't be forward compatible. So games looking to support DX 10.1 still need a DX 10 rendering path to support today's DX10 cards. Think of it like when Microsoft released DirectX 9.0c with added Shader Model 3.0 support. Also, don't worry too much about it requiring SP1 (which isn't out yet). The DX 10.1 SDK only recently was made available, and by the time supporting hardware and DX10.1 are released to end users somewhere in the first half of 2008, SP1 should be readily available.

What are the changes? DX 10.1's goals are to offer the "complete" DX 10, giving developers better control over image quality and making mandatory some of the things that are optional in DX 10. For example, 32-bit floating point filtering is optional in DX10 (16-bit FP filtering is mandatory), but will be mandatory in DX 10.1. Also, in DX 10, the number of multisample anti-aliasing samples is optional—DX 10.1 will make 4x AA mandatory, and require two specific sample patterns. Graphics cards can offer more sample patterns, and developers can query them in their shaders. Graphics cards that are DX 10.1 compliant will have to offer programmable shader output sample masks and multisample AA depth readback. Game developers will be able to index into cube maps and perform bitwise copies from uncompressed textures to block-compressed texture formats.
ADVERTISEMENT

If that's a bunch of gobbledygook to you, don't sweat it. The main takeaway is this: DirectX 10.1 is a straightforward incremental update to DX 10 that forces graphics vendors to adhere to a few more set standards with regards to image quality and a couple other under-the-hood graphics features, mainly to give games more control over image quality.

Also Nvidia has decided to directly jump to DX 11 so it is more clear about games now (otherwise Nvidia will be doomed).

nish_higher

Wise Old Owl

^ consider 10.1 as a patch for dx 10 to hype gaming quality (it gives more control over image quality).its like killing the gaming industry since not many games are DX10 ones.why would games be developed for it?
Nvidia's idea of dx11 compatible card and not having dx10.1 card clearly shows no game will be developed direct x 10.1,otherwise 9 series would already have been DX 10.1 compatible