graphics card to update rig

satsworld

Broken In
So, guys my system specs are in my signature...
monitor benq g2222hdal(1920X1080)
I want to buy another graphics card after 3 months....
budget max 14k.
What is the best that my psu can handle.
I think it is good to by nvidia and have an sli config...but...
suggestions are welcomed....:-D

ram22693

That Elusive 7850 HD
So, guys my system specs are in my signature...
monitor benq g2222hdal(1920X1080)
I want to buy another graphics card after 3 months....
budget max 14k.
What is the best that my psu can handle.
I think it is good to by nvidia and have an sli config...but...
suggestions are welcomed....:-D

In three months time, surely the 7850 HD will be available to you for your budget, its a killer card! i suggest you get Gigabyte or Sapphire 7850 HD. :) Gigabyte is factory overclocked as well. :wink:

OP
S

satsworld

Broken In
@ram22693 don't u think that an sli config will be more powerful than having hd 7850 and gtx 550 ti individually?

Myth

Cyborg Agent
550 ti isn't so bad. Selling it at a low price will hurt.
Buy another and sli. Spend the change on a HDD. 500gb seems a bit less.

Check youtube videos for 550 ti sli setups.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ 14k - after ~ 3 months Op can get a GTX 650 or if he sell his existing 55TI he can get a HD7870 by adding ~2k more and this performs better than GTX 580 ;-)

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
550Ti SLI is waste of money. Also 3 months is a long time and recommendations may get change by that time. So better ask when when you are going to buy within 1 week or 2.

Speculation wise you may get a HD7870 as already stated by topgear which is a Kick ass card.

OP
S

satsworld

Broken In
well i thought even mid range cards in sli can outrun more powerful cards...but all of u are suggesting about single cards!!
well then i have some questions...
1. If i go for sli,what card should i buy without upgrading psu?
2. No sli, 550 ti will be dedicated to physx. Then what should i buy?
3. Sell the 550 ti,where to sell, its only 3 months old, for how much as it cost around 7500. And what should i buy?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
1. The PSU is enough to handle pretty much any 6 series powerful GPU from nvidia - even 2x GTX 680 in SLI will do.

2. Depends on your budget but try to get a GTX 670 / GTX 660 ( TRR ) / GTX 650 ( TBR ) or if you like AMSD cards then HD7870 / HD7850.

3. Try to sell it for 6.5-7k and you can get a HD7870 @ ~21k.

OP
S

satsworld

Broken In
So what will give me more fps?
1.Sli config of 550 ti and may be 660 ti?
2.Hd 7850 with 550 ti dedicated to physics?

OP
S

satsworld

Broken In
Then topgear what should I buy within my budget to get max fps? :S
I don't think I am going to sell my gtx 550 ti so please suggest an SLI or physx config.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
2x GTX 550Ti in SLI performs more or less similar to a single GTX 570 and if you want to keep the GTX 550 Ti for PhysX and for a new GPU consider getting HD7850.

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
So what will give me more fps?
1.Sli config of 550 ti and may be 660 ti?
2.Hd 7850 with 550 ti dedicated to physics?
First of all, you are not dedicating GTX 550 Ti to "Physics".... you'll be dedicated it to "nVidia PhysX". "PhysX" is a restricted and proprietary thing. There is a huge difference and you shouldn't really be bothering with it. It's dead now.

99.9% of the games handle physics via DirectCompute (which both AMD and nVidia support) or CPU (which everyone has). They DON'T handle physics via a propritary thing like "PhysX".

"nVidia PhysX" is a gimmick. Only used by 3-4 games. I'll suggest to sell GTX 550 Ti. You need to decide whether you want to play 3-4 games with additional "PhysX" bling-bling or rest every other game faster.

Funny thing, a single HD 7870 uses less power than a single GTX 550 Ti. yes, HD 7870 is more than twice as fast and uses less power than a SINGLE GTX 550 Ti. You won't have to even change your PSU.

Don't bother with HD 7850 + GTX 550 Ti. Just sell the GTX 550 Ti off, and buy HD 7870 or GTX 660 Ti when it comes out. If you'll be using only HD 7870 or GTX 660 Ti, you don't even need to change the PSU and this is the best thing you can do. Everything else is waste of money in my humble opinion.

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
^ Either eBay or this forum's Bazaar section.

Or Bazaar sections of Erodov.com and TechEnclave.com

You'll need some posts before you can start a [For Sale] thread in those forums, plus don't forget to follow every forum's [For Sale] rules and guidelines.

ram22693

That Elusive 7850 HD
Sell your Nvidia card for around 13k and you will have 27k for which you can get a killer 7870 3gb DDR5. :wink:

Top Bottom