Graphic Card Buying and Compatibility Advice

arpit982

Broken In
Hey all.. I need a graphics card buying and compatibility advice.
This will be my first graphic card purchase.
My Budget : 5.5k
I am currently looking at HD6670GDDR5 *www.flipkart.com/sapphire-radeon-hd-6670-1gb-ddr5-graphics-card/p/itmdfygjystmyqrx?pid=GRCDFYGJGKEGHRDQ&ref=ccd87875-9c46-4f54-89b5-d9daf24576bc
Now my dilemma..
My PC is old. Its super old. Its so old that I feel like dinosaurs used to game on it.
I was about to make a PC but studies and a very tight budget stopped me from doing so.
But inspite of all I love it :p

Specs :

Intel Pentium D 925 3.0 GHZ Processor
Intel D945GCCR Motherboard (Intel® Desktop Board D945GCCR — Technical product specification) Here are specs if you want to see what we are dealing with.
2 GB DDR2 RAM.

I will use this card with my current system to get playable frame rates at 1280x1024 resolution for some recent titles.
And Can I? Is the system very shitty or I can use it for latest games?

Why am I not upgrading the rest of the build? Because I have a very busy next year full of studies and won't be able to use a new system that seriously so why not wait?

Now to the point. The PCI-E slot on the motherboard is PCI E Express x16. So I dig up about backward compatibility of 2.0/2.1 cards and was all happy and cool until I read people saying some newer cards don't work with old generation slots (why God :'( why?)

Now I don't want to shell 5-6k on a card only to find its not working. And be stuck up with a useless hardware :(
I was able to procure a very old 7400GS DDR2 which ran fine on my PC.
The motherboard is around 4-5 years old and the bios is updated to the last 2008 update released by Intel. Unfortunately the change log didn't mention anything to do with PCI Lanes.

The PSU is fine enough 450W and has 25A on 12V rail, I think. Its a UMAX PSU. :p

So will there be compatibility issues in buying this card?
Is it a good purchase or can I get something better?
Bottlenecks?
Gaming performance for this configuration?

Thanks to those who read and reply and also to those who don't :p

PS : I know my post count is low.. :p But I just like to keep my business to myself when I don't know much about these stuff

I also don't want to hear the truth like PentiumD is ***, buy a new rig. I know its true but the fact is right now this is all I can afford time wise and money wise.

Sorry for long post.
CPU Z

Untitled.jpgUntitled1.jpgUntitled3.png

Last edited:

jackal_79

Get Digit ized
Hey all.. I need a graphics card buying and compatibility advice.
This will be my first graphic card purchase.
My Budget : 5.5k
I am currently looking at HD6670GDDR5 Sapphire Radeon HD 6670 1GB DDR5 Graphics Card: Flipkart.com
Now my dilemma..
My PC is old. Its super old. Its so old that I feel like dinosaurs used to game on it.
I was about to make a PC but studies and a very tight budget stopped me from doing so.
But inspite of all I love it :p

Specs :

Intel Pentium D 925 3.0 GHZ Processor
Intel D945GCCR Motherboard (Intel® Desktop Board D945GCCR — Technical product specification) Here are specs if you want to see what we are dealing with.
2 GB DDR2 RAM.

I will use this card with my current system to get playable frame rates at 1280x1024 resolution for some recent titles.
And Can I? Is the system very shitty or I can use it for latest games?

Why am I not upgrading the rest of the build? Because I have a very busy next year full of studies and won't be able to use a new system that seriously so why not wait?

Now to the point. The PCI-E slot on the motherboard is PCI E Express x16. So I dig up about backward compatibility of 2.0/2.1 cards and was all happy and cool until I read people saying some newer cards don't work with old generation slots (why God :'( why?)

Now I don't want to shell 5-6k on a card only to find its not working. And be stuck up with a useless hardware :(
I was able to procure a very old 7400GS DDR2 which ran fine on my PC.
The motherboard is around 4-5 years old and the bios is updated to the last 2008 update released by Intel. Unfortunately the change log didn't mention anything to do with PCI Lanes.

The PSU is fine enough 450W and has 25A on 12V rail, I think. Its a UMAX PSU. :p

So will there be compatibility issues in buying this card?
Is it a good purchase or can I get something better?
Bottlenecks?
Gaming performance for this configuration?

Thanks to those who read and reply and also to those who don't :p

PS : I know my post count is low.. :p But I just like to keep my business to myself when I don't know much about these stuff

I also don't want to hear the truth like PentiumD is ***, buy a new rig. I know its true but the fact is right now this is all I can afford time wise and money wise.

Sorry for long post.
CPU Z

View attachment 8054View attachment 8055View attachment 8056

Go trough this.Maybe you will get some clarity:
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/graphic-c...ci-express-version-2-0-above-gpu-support.html

OP
A

arpit982

Broken In
Firstly thanks for reply
This link was of no value to me as I already mentioned I know about backwardcompatibility of 2.01/2.0 cards with 1.0 slots. Plus I spent 4 days and countless Google searches and links to find anything I can about D945GCCR mobo specific compatibility, plus any good gfx in my budget I found my problem to be unique as it's an intel board + bios updates were stopped in 2008. I read that pci x16 1.0 having issues start supporting 2.0/1 with bios updates and these came way after 2008.
I am in a big stuck up here. I want to order tomorrow. I tried contacting locally but he said the same thing. "If your motherboard doesn't support then I am not liable for the purchase" that's why I want to know anything I can do before actually ordering it

<b>Plus how to make sure my cabinet has enough space?</b>