Status
Not open for further replies.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
The fundamental strength of linux is it is for the, "Am Admi" category and many have old jaded computer box with scant RAM and harddisk space.. they are not the Marketing target for MS goons..But for Linux they are..
Although you might find a good amount fo people who fall in the category there are a certain percentage who have computers which are pretty standard or up to date. The benefit of Linux is you are able to run what you want and hence it is viable on a range of different computers.

In other words, let people run what they want. Its providing them with the option to change that counts.

clarjon1

Right off the assembly line
In regards to the KDE 4, of course there are going to be issues with it right off. After all, it was only just released. Also, remember, the only way to improve it isn't to sit and whine and tell everyone NOT to use it because it BREAKS, it's to help out, submit suggestions, help with artwork, do some bug reporting, troubleshooting, even try your hand at submitting patches ( if you're good enough, which i'm not)

Mind you, the last time i used KDE4 it was very very broken, but that's because I jumped on the bandwagon when that alpha version, the version where stuff is expected to be broken.

Side note: Ever notice how many stable useful linux apps aren't even version 1.0.0 yet?

Back on topic, I'm using Granular, as it's a PCLOS derivative, and it's fast, stable, and does what i need. It supports my Broadcom wifi card, all i needed to supply were the firmware files.

The only thing that i find to be a slight issue is that the kernel is compiled to be optimized for server usage, which is fine i guess, except for me needing to do various video editing and all, lol.

And i always recompile the kernel when a new one comes out, to remove unneeded stuff for my laptop, to make stuff faster. (alright, i admit it, i'm a geek.)

Anyways, I can say that although it is quite silvery (i like that tho^_^ request: gold theme for next release?) it is nice, solid, and fast.

Keep up the great work, guys!

OP
anurag_bhd

anurag_bhd

May the Force be with you
Although you might find a good amount fo people who fall in the category there are a certain percentage who have computers which are pretty standard or up to date. The benefit of Linux is you are able to run what you want and hence it is viable on a range of different computers.

In other words, let people run what they want. Its providing them with the option to change that counts.

Quite right.
-----------------------------------------
Posted again:
-----------------------------------------
@clarjon1

Recently, we added the 2.6.27 kernel to the test section of our repo. You should give it a try if the default one (2.6.26) doesn't work well for you:
*packages.granularproject.org/package.php?name=kernel-2.6.27.13.granular1

And in case you want to try out the 64-bit PAE edition of the 2.6.26 kernel, we added that one too:
*packages.granularproject.org/package.php?name=kernel-a64-2.6.26.8.granular2.a64

Last edited:

vaithy

In the zone
Today while browsing distrowatch weekly news items, I was surprised to findout about internal fight within the developers of PCLOS .. Some developers are reported be quiting PCLOS and joining a new project called 'Unity'.. I was definately surprised to findout about GRANLUR also joining the bandwagon...
Anurag ! canyou elaporate what is going on PCLOS also whether Granular's future is tied with PCLOS or mandriva?.. or if you are joining the'unity' project can you explain it here for the digit readers?

OP
anurag_bhd

anurag_bhd

May the Force be with you
Today while browsing distrowatch weekly news items, I was surprised to findout about internal fight within the developers of PCLOS .. Some developers are reported be quiting PCLOS and joining a new project called 'Unity'.. I was definately surprised to findout about GRANLUR also joining the bandwagon...
Anurag ! canyou elaporate what is going on PCLOS also whether Granular's future is tied with PCLOS or mandriva?.. or if you are joining the'unity' project can you explain it here for the digit readers?

Sure Vaithy. I want to explain all that pretty soon. I'll make a detailed explanation as a news item on the project website. About PCLOS, I can't comment much about it. About Granular, it will be a part of the Unity project and partly based on Mandriva for the future releases. Granular is no longer going to be based on PCLOS or use it's repositories.

Also, I cannot say much about the Unity project right now, but it was not like an internal "fight" within the PCLOS team which resulted in the creation of this project. It was just a difference of views to proceed with the development.

More on this coming soon on the project website as updates. Watch out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom