Grafix card and hard disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
I have a p4 3 Ghz, 512 mb ram currently a geforce fx 5200 and a seagate 80 GB i want to upgrade my grafix card and my hard disk to 120 or 160 depending on the budget please suggest me a combo that is upto 10,000 keeping in mind future graphic requirements for games such as carbon ...... awaiting ur suggestions ....... thanx

martian

Broken In
XFX 6600 GT will cost you 7500 bucks... Mm, why throw away your 80 GB HDD? And with the remaining 2500 bucks you can easily buy a second 80 GB drive... 80+80=160!

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
1) Don't expect to play todays games acceptably without 1gb ram or more, Carbon is absolutely No-No. So you need to get 1gb ram.

2)You probably have AGP, then Carbon will run crap on any graphic card in your budget especially AGP, by crap I mean at very low settings like 800*600 low to med at most.

Sell your gpu + hdd + ram, let us assume you get around 3-4k, now put another 10-11k, you get 15k

200gb : 3.8
250gb : 4.2
get anything between 160-250gb
let us assume you spent 4k here

512mb X 2 DDR 400, another 4k

You still have 11k left, get 6800GS/GT 256mb if you find it.

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
Ho much would 6600GT(PCI) and 6800GT(PCI) cost???
Well 6600GT abd 6800GT are not available in PCI version......

I have a p4 3 Ghz, 512 mb ram currently a geforce fx 5200 and a seagate 80 GB i want to upgrade my grafix card and my hard disk to 120 or 160 depending on the budget please suggest me a combo that is upto 10,000 keeping in mind future graphic requirements for games such as carbon ...... awaiting ur suggestions ....... thanx

Well does ur mobo have a SATA controller??If no..and ur using a PATA hard disk then adding a second hard disk would.....bring down the read/write of the hard disk.......so think twice before adding a new one with the existing one.......
and Seagate 200GB SATA(II) retails for around 4k.........

_pankaj_

Right off the assembly line
samrulez said:
Well 6600GT abd 6800GT are not available in PCI version......

I am a little confused now...What are then Nvidia PCI Express GeForce 6800GT & Nvidia PCI Express GeForce 6600GT????

martian

Broken In
_pankaj_ said:
I am a little confused now...What are then Nvidia PCI Express GeForce 6800GT & Nvidia PCI Express GeForce 6600GT????
Yes Pankaj, AGP, PCI and PCIe are different! You first have to check which your Motherboard supports... I say this because both 6600GT and 6800GT are PCIe based, i.e. faster 16x subsystem arther than the older 8x PCI.

_pankaj_

martian said:
Yes Pankaj, AGP, PCI and PCIe are different! You first have to check which your Motherboard supports... I say this because both 6600GT and 6800GT are PCIe based, i.e. faster 16x subsystem arther than the older 8x PCI.

My motherboard is Intel D915GAV...915G chipset

Expansion Capabilities:
Four PCI Conventional* bus add-in card connectors (SMBus routed to PCI Conventional bus connector 2)
Two PCI Express x1 bus add-in card connectors
One PCI Express x16 bus add-in card connector

So..coming back to the question..how much do these cost?????
Thanks

Last edited:
Budget-10K
G C- Geforce 7600GS---------------- 7500
HDD- Seagate 80GB Barracuda-------- 2500

U can get Transcend 512MB RAM for 2000 but dont select a cheaper G C as u will not be able to play Carbon with all the latest cool graphical effects.

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
_pankaj_ said:
Well thats PCIe(express).....Well even though it sounds similar..there is lotta difference offered by them.....And PCIe is also faster than AGP.....

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
PCI is 1x and not 8x.

Also a 7600GS won't play Carbon with all effects on even at 10X7, you will need a 7900GT at the minimum, maybe even 7900GTX class.
Also, for that you will need atleat 2GB ram and Amd 3700 or Intel 4-4.2 or higher class cpu

_pankaj_

Is GeForce7600GS compatible with Intel 915G chipset???
I am not looking at high end GPU....like the 7800GT or 7900GT for that matter....

BTW what is the difference between FORSA GeForce and NVidia GeForce???

Last edited:

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
Any PCI E graphic card should be compatible with any PCI E slot mobo. That way it should be ok.

Nvidia manufacturers chipsets.

Forsa is just a manufacturer like MSI or Asus AFAIK, please confirm.

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
_pankaj_ said:
Is GeForce7600GS compatible with Intel 915G chipset???
I am not looking at high end GPU....like the 7800GT or 7900GT for that matter....

BTW what is the difference between FORSA GeForce and NVidia GeForce???

Yes ti will be comatible.........
nVidia makes the 7600GS chipsets and gfx processors.......as he said FORSA is a brand....but....try and stay away from FORSA stick to XFX or ASUS...

_pankaj_

Hey...
Where in Delhi can I get NVIDIA GeForce GX cards (mfd/imported from NVIDIA, not manfctured by its partners)????
Also, where can I get XFX or ASUS GeForce cards???? How are cards mfd by BIG???
How much would 7600GS (XFX/ASUS) cost and how much would 7600GS manufactured by NVIDIA cost????
One more thing..how is 7300GT....havent heard much abt it...
Too many questions I guess ;)

Last edited:

liquid_nitrogen88

Journeyman
mAV3 said:

why waste so much cash if u r mainly into gaming.....u got to upgrade with each new game.....its time u think abt havin xbox or ps.....well,i stopped worrying about upgrading my system every month after i bought a ps....

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
Nvidia doesn't manufacture cards for selling to end consumers, maybe only to manufacturers as reference.
The best in India will be one of the three: Asus XFX Leadtek, depending upon warranty, card etc.
7600GT will be around 7000 for Leadtek.
7600GS should be better than 7300GT.

Computers are menat for gaming and gamplay vise they beat any playstation or xbox. Why else do you think people spend 1000s dollars per year on cmoputers with a huge chunk on graphic cards which are of no use but for gaming for mostly purposes.

Consoles are only meant for the not so well off.

liquid_nitrogen88

Journeyman
akshayt said:
Computers are menat for gaming
r they?and consoles r for???

akshayt said:
and gamplay vise they beat any playstation or xbox.
gameplay depends on the game and not the platform.....GTA SA is the same on both PC n Console....

akshayt said:
Why else do you think people spend 1000s dollars per year on cmoputers with a huge chunk on graphic cards which are of no use but for gaming for mostly purposes.
what can i say?please chek out the various uses of graphics cards....

akshayt said:
Consoles are only meant for the not so well off.
in the previous line u urself told ppl spend 1000s of $$$ on computers...so they must be the ones for those well off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom