GPU (The Beastly one ?!) + PSU :-

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
Hi everyone,

i apologise if am posting in a wrong section. am a new member here, but have been passively reading the forums for sometime. would like to straightaway jump to my doubt.

after many days of head-banging on the net to get a new gaming PC build, and increasing my budget 3-4 times, i now am finally left with one last doubt (hopefully), and would like help from you for that.

i have divided my budget for cabinet componentry, and GPU. the config decided by me is basically :

1. CPU + Motherboard ---> Intel Core i7 2600K Sandy Bridge + Asus P8Z68 V-PRO B3-Revision

2. Cabinet ---> NZXT Tempest EVO OR CM HAF 912 Advanced OR Lancool PC-K62

3. PSU ---> Corsair HX750 / Corsair TX850 V2

4. CPU Cooler ---> Cooler Master Hyper 212+

5. GPU ---> MSI GTX 560ti Hawk OR MSI GTX 570 TF2/TF3 OR MSI N580GTX TF3 Lightning

so now the doubts pertain to :

A] GPU + PSU
B] Cabinet

A] The GPU :-

1} just y'day i (again) increased my budget to accomodate a GTX 580 Lightning, but am double-minded whether i should get Lightning from MSI, or Direct CUii from Asus ? From whatever i've read on the net, Lightning has got better reviews from people, better cooling, eats up only 2 slots, etc....while Asus also being good, its a behemoth and uses 3 slots...performance-wise am not sure which one to take, but i've myself leaning towards the MSI one. MSI Lightning is available for 30 grand at primeabgb (i will be getting my OC assembled there)

2} Also, that would require a powerful PSU. earlier i had decided to get a modular HX650, but now after taking this GPU, i will have to go for TX one...would that be advisable ? HX850 would cost around 8-9k or more...should i ditch the 580 and go for either 560ti Hawk / 570 TF2 for a modular PSU ? this is very much confusing me....kindly suggest

B] Cabinet :-

Am really very confused between the choice of the cabinet too :

1} EVO ---> Cool looks, ample air flow, bundled fans

BUT

Messy cable management, no space for adding bigger GPUs, doubt about multi-GPU set-up.

2} CM HAF 912 Adv ---> Cool looks, good air flow, bigger fans, good cable management provision, ample space for adding bigger GPU + Multi-GPU set-up

BUT

Shorter than EVO......

3} Lancool PC-K62 ---> Cool looks, big looking

BUT

No provision for installing a side-fan, air flow for GPU seeming doubtful.

i havent seen any of the above cabbies in person, and i would like to spend just about 5.5-6.5k on a cabby.

Please 'digitrians', advise....

thanks
(special thanks to Mr. Mukherjee)

P.S. - 'Skud', would like to hear from you on your Lancool cabbie, and if possible, in comparison with the above cabbies.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here I am ;), you can check the details of K62 here, if you haven't already:-

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/overclock...ancool-k62-cabinet-unboxing-installation.html

As I don't have any other cabinet with me to do a comparison, I would restrict myself on the K62 only. If you know, I do have a graphics card that runs pretty hot under load as compared to other cards. But the temps I get are pretty normal for this card and you don't need to worry about the absence of the side panel fan. Check the following links, side fan might not be that important as we think:-

SilverStone Technology Co., Ltd.

SilverStone Technology Co., Ltd.

In a single GPU setup, you also don't need to worry about the length of the graphics card. It can accommodate up to 440mm. And with 8 PCI slots a 3 graphics card setup is actually easy, as the last slot will get enough space to cool. But for the 2nd, 2rd, 4th GPU the max length is 290mm, which is still sufficient IMO.

Regarding your query on SMPS and graphics card, get the Lightning any day. And both K62 and CM 912 adv has very good cable management, so you can easily opt for a non-modular PSU. Also if possible, take a look at this PSU:-

GlacialTech

It's a 950W unit, modular and costs just 6000+shipping and above all a superb quality, which will handle all your hardware for a long long time to come.

OP
GhorMaanas

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
Wow ! that PSU is indeed a find !! many many thanks to you...will enquire about it right away. just one thing - it says supports 'intel core 2 duo'...may be smc hasnt updated the specs in a while, but do you feel it will be just apt for my config ? ofcourse now there's google, but would like to hear from someone directly :)

and yes, lightning is getting the stamp from almost everyone. i am HAPPY :grin:

OP
GhorMaanas

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
my bad...should've seen this one ;-)

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/graphic-cards/142679-gpu-psu-tables.html

never mind though....got a beautiful reply from skud anyway :doublethumb:

OP
GhorMaanas

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
hey its now confirmed that am gonna get a lightning (although i read that 560ti hawk in SLI performs better than single 580 lightning...could you explain if its true, pls ?!)

i somehow have some apprehensions (unfound or not i dont know....hence need a bit of explaining from you) going SLI....

the PSU thing - a friend just told me that better go with corsair, may be a non-modular 750W one (and get a cabby with good cable-mgmnt so that non-modular PSU isnt a problem)...he expressed his doubts regarding glacial power's after sales service and its efficiency too....now am in a fix....whom to listen to ? google seacrh may be ? lol.....

about the cabinet - i think i'll rest my decision on a personal 'look-and-feel'...out of these 3, jo sahi lagega le lunga....what say ?!

kindly explain on the GPU part and PSU

hope am not bothering you :)

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not at all. :)

560Ti SLI is faster than 580, if you are ready to put up with the occasional uncertainties attached to performance of dual-GPU solutions. So at the similar price point 560Ti SLI is a better solution, performance-wise.

And regarding the Glacialtech SMPS, it probably has 2 years warranty, and here's a link to check out it's efficiency:-

GlacialTech GP-AX950AA 950W Review

If you don't want to take too much chances over ASS, then get a Corsair TX750/850 V2, eyes closed. And cable management won't be a problem with your short-listed cabinets.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
@kilroyquasar a simple rule of thumb. if the RMA of GPU/PSU that you are going to purchase is being done by Rashi or Tirupathi enterprises, then you better stay away from those brands (ASUS is one if I am right). I think GlacialTech RMA is done by SMC, who are very good IMO. And they do make very good PSUs so with for it.

OP
GhorMaanas

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
@ desiibond & skud

thanks ! but it seems am never gonna come out this mire of new PC build ! now am stuck at tower size of cabby ! lol....

thinking of getting a full-tower ? kindly tell whether, with this config, would it be really required, or am just going for a wasted decision ? for now selected HAF X, HAF 932, and Antec 1200....i want gorgeous looks combined with good performance....would any of those suffice ? if yes, which's better ? any other recommendations ?

and yes desiibond, i enquired from my dealer about rashi's pathetic service beforehand, and he said they're (dealer) handling asus related woes now...seems ok...

thanks

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
More than anything else first give us your budget for GPU, PSU and Cabby.

OP
GhorMaanas

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
budget is flexible...now since i am thinking of a full-tower, here it goes :

1. Cabinet - 12k (kindly advise would it be really worth it, or mid-tower is apt)

2. PSU - 7-8K

3. GPU - Anything from 14-30k (since lightning is for 30k)

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Try Nzxt Phantom. It's a full tower and costs 8-9k. Else there are HAF 932 and HAF X. ;)

OP
GhorMaanas

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
yeah sure...on my list.....waise i was also thinking to ditch the full-tower and instead invest in a good UPS and an extra HDD ;-)

ohh god ! am totally out :mrgreen:

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
serously speaking, I would suggest you to get a Cabinet inside 7k, add a bit more to that saved 5k or so and then try out water cooling.

and do stay away from that ASUS boards. Rashi can be a nightware/PITA in case you face any issues.

check these instead: Gigabyte Z68X-UD3R-B3 for some 10k or look for MSI's boards.

1. Take a full tower cabinet
2. Try out water cooling
3. OC like hell and do make sure that the components that you buy have very good RMA process and that the dealers that do RMA have good reputation.

If you are not planning to overclock:

1. take mid tower
2. take i7 2600 instead of 2600k
3. Get a dual GPU setup.

lordirecto

In the zone
OP, I take that you have not decided on your cabinet. And from some of the posts that you have posted, I feel that you want a cabinet that has both looks and functionality. So I suggest you take a look at NZXT Phantom. I am sure it is not as expensive as Cooler Master HAF X, but it still has the same funtionality as HAF X.

OP
GhorMaanas

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
Hi all,

sorry to keep you guys waiting...

i have finally decided my config...everything in it ! you may suggest on that, but frankly i dont want to get confused anymore as i've decided upon this after much headaches

though now my gharwallas are pestering me about the need of a PC when "laptop pe kaam chal raha hai na !", i'll not have it any other way since i've seen my old PC lying rotting away for too long now...as it is, gharwallaas object in every matter that either --- doesnt pertain to beautifying the house/is even remotely connected to some gadgetry or tech/is out of their circle of experience/is not suggested by their colleagues or peer circle.......life, as usual :x

so here it goes :

CPU + Mobo - i7 2600K + Asus P8Z68 V-Pro B3-Revision (revised price at 28400/-)

GPU - MSI N580GTX Lightning (revised price at 29k)

CPU Cooler - Hyper 212+

Cabinet - HAF-X (revised price at 11,350/-)

PSU - Corsair TX850 V2 (revised price at 7k)

these were the main things...throw in some other stuff like 8GB RAM from corsair or gskill, 1TB Seagate HDD, and will try to get their prices lowered too......gonna buy next saturday at primeabgb.......hope till that time gharwallas dont raise up a storm...pray guys ;)

comments welcome !

P.S. - And yes, desiibond, i enquired from prime and got firm assurance from them regarding asus' customer support, saying they'll handle it if any issue arises.

@lordirecto - i saw a phantom being assembled with, incidentally, my choice of mobo...looked pretty cool, but it was in red colour, and looked way too shiny and toyish....anyway, i've done fact-finding on every full-tower chassis VS HAF-X on the net since y'day in the same price-range (for eg, with Antec DF-85, Antec 1200, phantom, thermaltake, etc), and everywhere i found HAF-X winning by a good margin ! so, it has looks, it has the brawn, and its got solid VFM and content-quality....so i find it worth to be purchased. koi gila-shikwa nahi ! :grin:

Last edited:

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nice components. Don't look for anything else. And if you don't want to OC like hell, that hyper 212+ is sufficient.

Top Bottom