GPU clock drops to 40Mhz

scavanger007

On KillingSpree!!!
Hello guys,

Recently, my pc lags graphically (I think so) when I run games, the same games which ran smoothly at the settings it can run on. Also when I watch youtube videos, the audio goes slightly out of sync with video (also started recently). I dunno if youtube uses graphics card for video purposes, but just stating in case you may think this is not a graphics card problem.

So, I downloaded HWINFO software, which helped me see the temperature of my GPU. So I ran dota 2 on background to see whether there is corelation between lag and temperature. What I observed is that my GPU temp steadily increased by 1*C and reach about 110*C, in this duration I saw my GPU and shader clock drop to half, 550 to 275 at about 90*C and then to about 40Mhz at 110*C. As I m typing this , the temp and the Clock Speed are same, ie. 110 and 40, respectively. I dont feel lag while browsing or doing general pc stuff.

What I believe is my GPU fan must have stopped working, because I hear a sudden whirring sound of fan spinning for about 1 second and then no sound for about 3-4 min. Since my CPU is running at steady temp, I believe that the sudden sound is from my GPU fan.

My question is whether my analysis is correct and if yes, can I make the fan run, or is it possible to replace fan. (GPU:9500GT). If no, then guide me please.

Just to be on safe side also suggest me some good GPU which can run on par or better games at budget of 5-6k. I m satisfied with the games I get to play with my current 9500GT, so incase a time comes for me to replace it , I dont mind if the budget of 5-6k doesnt give me better card than 9500GT , but it should be atleast on the same level.

Thank you,

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
You may replace the gpu fan. Also apply Tim before installing the fan. You may get the fan from local pc shops.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Buy R7 250. It will be a massive upgrade over 9500 GT.

Sapphire AMD Radeon R7 250 with Boost

Top Bottom