GPS on N97

iinfi

mekalodu
hi all,

i am not sure whether this has be discussed before.
this is my first experience with a GPS on a phone. i v used GPS devices in cars when i was abroad and it works fine.
but when it comes to a GPS on a phone why does it need a data connection? (N97)

Select Menu > Applications > Location.
Select Positioning > Positioning methods.
i selected Integrated GPS
by following instructions in the below link
Nokia India - Use Maps and GPS - Maps - How to - Nokia N97 - Product support - Support

google maps still asks for a data connection. rite now i dont have a SIM card in my N97.

is there any application which can use the integrated GPS on my mobile and work without asking for a data connection, just like GPS devices in cars work?

thanks

pauldmps

Banned
I can't definitely say for sure if GMaps supports GPS chip or uses internet for navigation. But make sure that yo're using the Symbian version of GMaps & not the Java one.

OP
iinfi

iinfi

mekalodu
thanks i will check this
is there any other application which works only on satellite and doesnt depend on service network?

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
these Nokia phones do not have "GPS" per se...they have assisted GPS (A GPS, which is written in specification also) which needs to connect to server (most probably Navteq servers) to identify your location. I know this is bad because if you are lost say in a national park, it will be useless!

OP
iinfi

iinfi

mekalodu
google maps is not supported in your mini 5 is the message i get on m.google.com/maps

hmm... this is disappointing

these Nokia phones do not have "GPS" per se...they have assisted GPS (A GPS, which is written in specification also) which needs to connect to server (most probably Navteq servers) to identify your location. I know this is bad because if you are lost say in a national park, it will be useless!

seriously .. gps on a mobile is joke ... they v given a stand to erect it inside the car ... i m gona throw it...

Last edited:

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
Google maps works on my 5800, so should work on N97.

Download the Jar/Sis and install it that way.

It uses the Internet to load the maps and then it can work only on GPS.

rahul.007

bORn To RIse....
data charges will apply if using google maps as it needs to connect to the net to load maps (as said in the earlier post)..

but if you use ovi maps then it would befree.. just download the ovi maps for india(around 150mb file) from ovi suite on pc and install it on your cell.. then the maps would be in-built and gps would be used to track your location.... i suggest you take keep it online as it gats a faster gps fix with only max 50kB data transfer....

(did the same with my nokia 5230 and when in offline mode, it does take a minute or 2 to get a fix but then works fine without any data tranfer)

Anirvann

Broken In
I would like to differ with what someone above said... these phones definitely DO have a GPS chip in them.

The net connection is optional but it reduces the time to locate the signal. This is because based on the mobile tower , it gets a rough idea of your location and then locates satellite signals only in that area.

Moving on.. avoid Google Maps as it requires you to constantly download data from the internet. Ovi Maps on the other hand is a free solution which gives you free offline turn by turn navigation.

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
^^ That's great info. My Ovi maps have expired and it asks me to renew the license thus I have stopped using it. but for google maps I definitely need data connection.

OP
iinfi

iinfi

mekalodu
ovi is working on my fone now. i had to stand in an open ground for it to discover 3 satellites.... LMAO
with all maps downloaded .. i searched for CitiBank to drive to one of its branches. it again asked for a data connection as it didnt have those details in the fone.
it suks bigtimee...
GARMIN rocks

abhasbajpai

Asterisk enthusiast
OVI maps is free for most of the devices, download maps 3.
If you don't want data connection for GPS in your N97 go to maps --->settings---->internet----offline, to trun off in location, go to location ----->positioning methods -----and uncheck everything other than integrated GPS.
Garmin with map my India is very good for small cities in India, but lacks behind OVI maps in big cities like mumbai and delhi...
OVI maps are better because it have turn by turn navigation.

abhasbajpai

Asterisk enthusiast
I think its the other way round.
didn't got it, are you trying to say OVI maps don't have turn by turn navigation ?
it has it in multiple voices both for drive and walk, it can also be connected with widget's like Brup, Lonely planet etc (ofcourse these widgets needs data connections), available on OVI store. these can run inside of map application..
The quality of maps in metro's are excellent even to street level..

I am using OVI Maps, and Germain Map my India (for traveling to smaller cities) on my N97 Mini. used google maps too, but didn't found them accurate comparing to Map My India or OVI maps

GERMZ

Banned
Garmin and Ovi both have their strengths i would say. Ovi however is a bit ahead for atleast the Metro cities due to the frequent map updates.

Garmin is also a great solution if you are travelling across the country.

The best part however is that BOTH offer offline navigation... no need for a data connection. You guys must have felt the pain of poor connectivity when in Tier 2 cities... downloading map data over the flaky GPRS connection is definitely not reliable.

Have used Ovi Maps quite reliably on my N8 for this purpose.

v4u_luv2004

Broken In
GPS technology is really life saving.. for me atleast and it works absolutely perfect.
I get gps signal indoor outdoor both without any problems.
I particularly luv the OVI maps bcos it guides u all the way to ur destination without a single glitch. Luv the girl's voice guidance in ovi ;)

Even google map works great specially when u wanna get a satellite view it shows my building n position too :)

nmenon

Broken In
I've used OVI maps in Cochin and Chennai. Works quite well on my 5230, and if I use the GPRS connection it get a fix quickly else it takes about 3-4 minutes but works perfectly after that. OVI Maps service is great in the bigger cities and in many smaller cities like Cochin too.

Top Bottom