Govt revokes Article 370 from Jammu and Kashmir, bifurcates state into two Union Territories

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Source: Govt revokes Article 370 from Jammu and Kashmir, bifurcates state into two Union Territories | India News - Times of India

NEW DELHI: The government on Monday revoked Article 370 which gave special status to Jammu and Kashmir and proposed that the state be bifurcated into two union territories, Jammu and Kashmir and Ladakh, provoking outrage from the NC and PDP and triumph from leaders of India's ruling BJP.
Meeting a long-held promise of the BJP, Union Home Minister Amit Shah moved a resolution in the Rajya Sabha that Article 370, which allowed Jammu and Kashmir to have its own Constitution, will no longer be applicable.
"The president on the recommendation of Parliament is pleased to declare as from 5th of August 2019, all clauses of the said Article 370 shall cease to be operative... ," stated the resolution moved by the Home minister.
Shah also moved a bill proposing bifurcation of the state of Jammu and Kashmir into two Union Territories — Jammu and Kashmir division and Ladakh.
Shah, who introduced the Jammu and Kashmir Reorganisation bill, said the union territory in Ladakh will have no legislature like Chandigarh. The other union territory of Jammu and Kashmir will have a legislature like Delhi and Puducherry.

OP
W

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
My sincere condolences and prayer to the people of Jammu and Kashmir.
Why? It is not like someone announced a dictatorship there.All it means is that J&K is now same as rest of the 28 states in India.Article 370 was never meant to be a permanent measure,it just became so long lasting due to circumstances.J&K is a part of India which is a fact that cannot be changed now so no point in keeping this outdated article which gives some illusion/hope to many people in J&K that they still have a chance of gaining Independence.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
370 was there to find a solution for J&K.

Govt. repealed 370 and forced J&K to be one with India. Their freedom movement is null & void now!

Piyush

Lanaya
Why? It is not like someone announced a dictatorship there.All it means is that J&K is now same as rest of the 28 states in India.Article 370 was never meant to be a permanent measure,it just became so long lasting due to circumstances.J&K is a part of India which is a fact that cannot be changed now so no point in keeping this outdated article which gives some illusion/hope to many people in J&K that they still have a chance of gaining Independence.
Im fine with the revoking of 370. Youngsters will find jobs now thanks to business that is going to be set up there in the future. This will make sure that those youngsters will find something better instead of taking up firearms for the lost cause.

What I find weird is, why was there a need to separate Ladakh region from J&K. Why make it UT instead of a state? A mere governor handpicked by the ruling party at the center wont be able to perform as good as it sounds. And those peaceful Buddhist population... I hope they dont get caught in this mess which we might see in near future.

OP
W

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
What I find weird is, why was there a need to separate Ladakh region from J&K. Why make it UT instead of a state?
Ladakh is geographically,religiously,linguistically & culturally different from J&K & deserve a separate region(this basis is also used for creation of other states). It was not made a state because it is too small & because of its sensitive location along the border.May be years/decades later it may be given a Delhi like partial state status.

Hrishi

370 was there to find a solution for J&K.

Govt. repealed 370 and forced J&K to be one with India. Their freedom movement is null & void now!
And there has been no solution till date to the mess of a place called Kashmir. India has pumped up a lot of resources and it's military in an attempt to stabilize this region and reduce militancy.
The problem of Kashmir is too complex. They have chunks of population that wants to side with India, and some with Pakistan while remaining want an independent nation.
The only two possibilities are :
->1 - already happened
->Independent state, but the question is that will they be able to sustain themselves ? I highly doubt this. Most of them would end up migrating to India for jobs anyways.
Also, there is way too much sentiment attached from India for the losses we have suffered for keeping Kashmir with us, can't let it go - just like that.

It will be in the best interest of Kashmir population to accept the changes and not protest against it.

On a side note, I think it would be bad for Kashmir if their real-state starts seeing investment from non-Kashmiris. It would simply ruin their legacy and create too much of commercialization.

Things wouldn't have been this sour, if they weren't treated like second class of citizens since the beginning.

Last edited:

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
@Hrishi well said. I think it's best that some decisive solution is taken to sort out this mess. Though I personally think that a status quo is the most peaceful solution, but perhaps it was not worth hemorrhaging resources keeping the state stable. This action will cause some short term problems and long term effects will unravel over time.
It would simply ruin their legacy and create too much of commercialization.
I think it would be beneficial for both them and the rest of India if they commercialize a bit more. Increased investment means more jobs, means lesser dissidents. Most of the dissidents are people with too much time on their hands after all.

OP
W

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
A bigger shocker is this:
Kashmir Not Internal Matter, Says Adhir Chowdhury in Parliament; Sonia Gandhi Unhappy With Self-Goal

Hrishi

The best part of all this was listening to what the Laddakh minister had to say. It was felt deeply. Kashmiris always complained that they have been treated like a second class citizen but look what they did to people in Leh.

billubakra

Conversation Architect
The best part of all this was listening to what the Laddakh minister had to say. It was felt deeply. Kashmiris always complained that they have been treated like a second class citizen but look what they did to people in Leh.
But you said above that Kashmiri's were treated like second class citizens. May I ask why would you say that?

icebags

Technomancer
But you said above that Kashmiri's were treated like second class citizens. May I ask why would you say that?
i have not known any situation where anybody is treated an second class citizen, unless they have weak educational and/or economical backgrounds. that also, as per law unacceptable act.

anyways, in my opinion, revoking article 370 will save the kashmir people in the long run, but will destroy the landscape. especially, ladakh will not be ladakh any more, it will become similar to old delhi gallys soon.

Top Bottom