Govt orders blocking of IIPM-related URLs; [2014 Update] IIPM not entitled to give BBA, MBA degrees

tkin

Back to school!!
New Delhi: In an unprecedented bid to block material critical of controversial business school Indian Institute of Planning and Management (IIPM), the Indian government has ordered Internet service providers (ISPs) to prevent access to more than 70 URLs, provoking a storm of protest online and from the publications affected.
The directive was issued on the basis of an order from a court in Gwalior, said Gulshan Rai, director general of CERT-In (Computer Emergency Response Team-India). The order, signed by Subodh Saxena of the department of telecommunications (DoT), was issued on Thursday and was reported earlier on Friday by the MediaNama website.
Interestingly, the URLs listed include a University Grants Commission (UGC) notification saying that IIPM is not a university and “does not have the right of conferring or granting degrees as specified by UGC”.
A.K. Dogra, director (administration) at UGC, said he was “not aware of the development and it is news to me”.
UGC chairperson Ved Prakash and secretary Akhilesh Gupta could not be reached on their mobile phones, nor did they respond to text messages at the time of going to press.
The move comes amid criticism of the government for recent steps that have been regarded as attempts to curb freedom of speech.
DoT couldn’t be immediately reached for comment. UGC and IIPM representatives also couldn’t be immediately reached for comment.
IIPM has been the subject of several critical articles in various publications, including Outlook, Careers360 and The Caravan. The URLs related to these stories have been blocked. A controversy had blown up in 2005 over attempts to gag a blogger critical of IIPM. That site, too, is among those ordered to be blocked.
The Caravan editor Anant Nath said, “Our biggest concern is that DoT has taken this action by itself. We haven’t been informed about this notice. In the conventional course, we expect it to inform the said media houses. So, at the first instance, we will take this matter up with DoT itself, and if further needed, we will take legal action also.”
Maheshwar Peri, publisher of Careers360 magazine, said, “It is outrageous. We will reply to the notice and may explore a contempt case.”
He wondered how contradictory orders were being issued when he had already fought cases in the courts, including the Uttarakhand high court, which had set aside a criminal case filed by IIPM against Careers360.
Saxena’s notice makes clear that only the specific URLs should be blocked and not the entire website. He also asks that the ISPs not mention the “name of the URL in the compliance letter”. As of Friday evening, most of the websites were still accessible.
One of the writers whose stories were blocked protested against the action.
“This is a grave violation of freedom of speech and expression. They (the government) haven’t even informed me that they have blocked my website. It’s unfair as they are not even giving me a chance to defend myself,” said Vij, a writer and journalist who writes for Kafila, a blog on politics and the media.
P.N. Vasanti, director at the Centre for Media Studies, a Delhi-based media research think tank, said the verdict will be challenged. “I doubt DoT will actually act on this notice; they are only doing lip service to address the court notice, waiting for someone to challenge it. It is definitely a judgement that should be questioned,” she said.
Other URLs include stories on sites of publications such as The Indian Express, The Economic Times and blog posts on The Wall Street Journal site, among others.
IIPM used to be a significant advertiser in large mainstream newspapers such as The Times of India and Hindustan Times until recently.
Mint could not reach Arindam Chaudhuri, head of IIPM, on the phone. A text message and an email also did not yield any response.

So, anyone thinking of The Matarese Circle?

Notice: *www.ugc.ac.in/pdfnews/3604913_English.pdf

Source: Govt orders blocking of IIPM-related URLs - Livemint

How the hell did these guys get this much power, to control DOT? Even politicians can't do that without a backlash, lets see if the newspapers publish this, something tells me they won't.

Last edited:

rohit32407

Ambassador of Buzz
At first I thought they have ordered to block IIPM's controversial ad's URLs and I was kind of appreciative of this move. Now, when i completely understand that what i was thinking was completely opposite of what was actually happening I can do nothing else but feel sorry for our country. A college for which reputed forums like Pagalguy don't even allow a discussion is being favored by our government(type IIPM in that forum and it changes to ****) . So basically according to our dear highly sensible government UGC is beneath IIPM? This court thing is bogus as our government did not even care to challenge this judgement. Our netas will challenge every verdict over scams to every limit possible in the courts but they did not challenge this. Amazed!

OP
tkin

tkin

Back to school!!
At first I thought they have ordered to block IIPM's controversial ad's URLs and I was kind of appreciative of this move. Now, when i completely understand that what i was thinking was completely opposite of what was actually happening I can do nothing else but feel sorry for our country. A college for which reputed forums like Pagalguy don't even allow a discussion is being favored by our government(type IIPM in that forum and it changes to ****) . So basically according to our dear highly sensible government UGC is beneath IIPM? This court thing is bogus as our government did not even care to challenge this judgement. Our netas will challenge every verdict over scams to every limit possible in the courts but they did not challenge this. Amazed!
Yeah, its a wonder how IIPM could get so influential in such a short time? I guess money talks, huh.

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent
Omg what a sad day to democracy.This is violation of freedom of speech.

Imagine how many student further going to be scammed by that institute if these
truth is not available to them.

Education in India simply is to get degree through Merit or Pay Money to IIP*.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
the content providers can just change the urls right?
noobs DOT

list of urls here, some of em are working
*www.medianama.com/2013/02/223-dot-block-iipm/

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
WTF!! Blocking sites just because telling the truth. IIPM -> Scam, spend money and time, have fun and screw some g1rls( really! ) and leave the place. Other than this, it's good for nothing.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
@tkin,it's not the govt but the court which ordered the blocking.govt has to follow court order as per law.just goes on to show that how a combination of poorly made laws & expensive good lawyers can bend the system to favour the unjust.

P.S.btw i too have only heard negative things about IIPM from some of its former students.

duke123

In the zone
Well this is not the first time

IIPM sues Caravan, Google, Penguin for Rs 50 cr - India - IBNLive

The suit against The Caravan has been filed not in Delhi, where both IIPM and the magazine’s publisher, Delhi Press, are based, but 2,200 km away in Silchar, Assam. The case at the Court of Civil Judge in Silchar district was reportedly filed by one Kishorendu Gupta, who reportedly operates Gupta Electrical Engineers in a Silchar suburb, and is the first plaintiff. Sources said IIPM is the second plaintiff.

THE SUPREME COURT STAYS IIPM CASE AGAINST THE CARAVAN IN SILCHAR | The Caravan - A Journal of Politics and Culture

duke123

In the zone
here is Arindam Chaudhuri's response
TwitLonger — When you talk too much for Twitter

With respect to UGC links, I should say UGC and AICTE are organizations full of bribe-seeking corrupt officials where, even at the top, they have a track record of being caught red-handed and being jailed. The standard of education they have created in the nation is shameful, to say the least.

There are hundreds of Institutions in the country which have nothing to do with UGC; then why aren’t such individual notices issued by UGC against each one of those institutions, including the ISB?

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
^ had an open mind till I read the response. his response is stupid
he just admitted to getting trolled on the internet... prolly does not know how the interwebs works at all, so he is a self-proclaimed noob
most of the blocked content is just a list of students protesting and filing court cases, all of it is available in google cache
shame that these jokers managed to game the system

rohit32407

Ambassador of Buzz
Yes the court which passed the orders is at fault too but can't the govt. challenge this court's verdict in supreme court? So in my view they both are at fault here.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^you don't seem to know how law works.when dispute is between 2 private/non-govt parties then if court gives order to govt in favour of one side then that order can only be challenged by the other party in the dispute & not govt.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
that tweet is the dumbest tweet every, and have seen some dumb tweets
1. google is a search engine, not a host of defamatory content. it's stupid to fight against google for the content of the web pages.
2. he is talking about satire and defamation, when the blocked links mostly cover legal proceedings
3. this is the one I really don't understand. Allegations of bribery and corruption in the UGC and AICTE is fine, but it would make sense if his "university" was approved. if not, is he suggesting that the UGC and AICTE published public disclaimers because somebody bribed them to do so? Hilarious.
4. he clubs google and freedom of speech together. Again, google is his biggest problem here, not the cases, not the protesting students, not the allegations, but a search engine is the target of his response.
5. lol, ctrl + v parts of the "response" everywhere.

donno how this idiot managed to con so many people so far, guess a sucker is born every second

in all yeah, utter stupidity by Courts

OP
tkin

tkin

Back to school!!
@tkin,it's not the govt but the court which ordered the blocking.govt has to follow court order as per law.just goes on to show that how a combination of poorly made laws & expensive good lawyers can bend the system to favour the unjust.

P.S.btw i too have only heard negative things about IIPM from some of its former students.
Yes, but any cost the court should not be given the power to block media, the judges in India are a bunch of ignorant people who think they can do whatever they want, and some of them are not even well educated in internet laws, hence they pass these verdicts.

here is Arindam Chaudhuri's response
TwitLonger — When you talk too much for Twitter

With respect to UGC links, I should say UGC and AICTE are organizations full of bribe-seeking corrupt officials where, even at the top, they have a track record of being caught red-handed and being jailed. The standard of education they have created in the nation is shameful, to say the least.

There are hundreds of Institutions in the country which have nothing to do with UGC; then why aren’t such individual notices issued by UGC against each one of those institutions, including the ISB?
Well as I said, money talks, but just because UGC had not blocked every such school does not mean they should no block IIPM, you're logic is similar to setting Kasav free because there are other killers roaming free in the country.

that tweet is the dumbest tweet every, and have seen some dumb tweets
1. google is a search engine, not a host of defamatory content. it's stupid to fight against google for the content of the web pages.
2. he is talking about satire and defamation, when the blocked links mostly cover legal proceedings
3. this is the one I really don't understand. Allegations of bribery and corruption in the UGC and AICTE is fine, but it would make sense if his "university" was approved. if not, is he suggesting that the UGC and AICTE published public disclaimers because somebody bribed them to do so? Hilarious.
4. he clubs google and freedom of speech together. Again, google is his biggest problem here, not the cases, not the protesting students, not the allegations, but a search engine is the target of his response.
5. lol, ctrl + v parts of the "response" everywhere.

donno how this idiot managed to con so many people so far, guess a sucker is born every second

in all yeah, utter stupidity by Courts
I want to see Arindam go head to head with google, they will probably bury IIPM under a 10 foot grave.

Top Bottom