Govt disconnects 51,000 telephone connections for pesky calls

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Recent reports have said that the central government has decided to block over 51,000 telephone numbers of such users who had not registered themselves as telemarketer but were involved in such activity.

It is said that notice have been issued to around 88,300 subscribers who were reported under it. The statement was made by Minister of State for Communications and IT, Milind Deora said in a written reply to Rajya Sabha.

According to the guidelines issued by the Telecom Commercial Communications Customer Preference Regulations in year 2010, no subscriber is allowed to make any commercial calls, unless he is not registered with the sector regulator TRAI as a telemarketer.

Now, if it is found that commercial communications were made by a subscriber who is not registered with TRAI as a telemarketer, notice will be issued to that subscriber.

Further, talking to media, Deora said, “Government is aware that several calls and SMSs are being sent by subscribers, without getting themselves registered with TRAI as a telemarketer, by using normal telephone connections having numbers, other than the ’140′ number series allotted to registered telemarketers.”

He said, “From the complaints data received from service providers, it is seen that the majority of complaints of unsolicited commercial communications are sent by telecom subscribers who were not registered as a telemarketer.”

Source : Govt disconnects 51,000 telephone connections for pesky calls | News Top Night
Business Line : Industry & Economy / Marketing : 51,000 phone connections disconnected for pesky calls

Naxal

Little Kid
Companies like Uninor here in Kolkata gives away free SIM card.. In some cases not document is needed..

Those who made these telemarketing calls would simply through away the SIM and insert a new one..

Punishment should have been more than just disconnections..

msn

खिड़की माने Windows
That I guess nigerian scam :p

Yes. I remember this happened sometime back in April 2011, here in Bangalore. The modus operandi was sending SMSes to cellphone users, informing them that they had won a lottery. They were then instructed to pay some money to get the amount cleared, thereby trapping unsuspecting people.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Companies like Uninor here in Kolkata gives away free SIM card.. In some cases not document is needed..

Those who made these telemarketing calls would simply through away the SIM and insert a new one..

Punishment should have been more than just disconnections..

Not only uninor, preactivated SIM cards of all carriers are available at proper places for many years.

Where can you report numbers as telemarketing/scam numbers ? I get random SMSes saying I have won blah blah blah and find it annoying.

rishi99

Right off the assembly line
Source : Govt disconnects 51,000 telephone connections for pesky calls | News Top Night
Business Line : Industry & Economy / Marketing : 51,000 phone connections disconnected for pesky calls

Yet I see intrusion into my life by anonymous people calling at odd hours.

Flash

Lost in speed
Thats a good step by Govt.
Some of the telemarketing messages even lacks Grammar,lacks punctuations and often have incorrect spellings.

I got like this once.
XXXXXX WATER PURIFIERS.FREE DOORSTEP DELIVERY KAVITHA PLEASE CALL 9XXXX XXXXX

What can i do? Had a smile and deleted it :lol:

Top Bottom