Government Lab Reveals It Has Operated Quantum Internet For Over Two Years

heidi2521

Padawan
Government Lab Reveals It Has Operated Quantum Internet For Over Two Years | MIT Technology Review

A quantum internet capable of sending perfectly secure messages has been running at Los Alamos National Labs for the last two and a half years, say researchers

Holy ****!!!

All we need are quantum routers to make a quantum world wide web now.

Damn Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle.

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
^ i thought heisenberg uncertainity principle applied to particle[electron/photon etc], on the uncertainity of predicting both its position and velocity simultaneously..

how does it come into Internetworking??

OP
H

heidi2521

Padawan
^ i thought heisenberg uncertainity principle applied to particle[electron/photon etc], on the uncertainity of predicting both its position and velocity simultaneously..

how does it come into Internetworking??

For routing to work you need to know where the packet is, where it is to go and the contents of the packet to split/combine them. One of the implications of the principle when used in the context of the Copenhagen interpretation is that you cannot do the packet inspection required for this.

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
For routing to work you need to know where the packet is, where it is to go and the contents of the packet to split/combine them. One of the implications of the principle when used in the context of the Copenhagen interpretation is that you cannot do the packet inspection required for this.

okay.. so you are treating the packets as particles!! nice :)

Now I'm just waiting for Normandy to be revealed.

meaning??

OP
H

heidi2521

Padawan
okay.. so you are treating the packets as particles!! nice :)

:confused: Isn't that the entire basis of quantum networking(and cryptography)? They could develop a router which does not need to read or duplicate packets but if that exists it is also being kept a secret by governments/ google/ universities etc.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
first read the link.of course routing quantum packets is not possible so what researchers did was create a kind of quantum<->normal packet conversion in router so packets can be routed.however this also makes the converting router weakest link in the network but still much more secure than existing networks.

OP
H

heidi2521

Padawan
first read the link.of course routing quantum packets is not possible so what researchers did was create a kind of quantum<->normal packet conversion in router so packets can be routed.however this also makes the converting router weakest link in the network but still much more secure than existing networks.

I did read the link. When I said Quantum World Wide Web i meant something that required no conversion to normal packets and would stay in "quantum form" from end to end, not just router to router. :)

After all, the router is the place from which governments of countries like PRC & USA snoop.

Top Bottom