Got job in Delhi, now moving

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Well, my bad luck is going bad. My UTStarcom Modem which I was using in Lucknow with BSNL won't work with Airtel in Delhi. Today the technical guys came & they tried to configure but the modem just didn't work, instead it worked fine with there own Beetel 110BXI modem. The technician gave me the modem for few days freee, as I will be buying my own net connection once I return from Lucknow on 18th.

I am actually thinking of skipping wired net connection compleately. Why not switch to Wireless Data card based net service till I buy my N82??? Which Wireless USB based data card service I should opt for in Delhi.

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
I am in a big dilemma now. I need net connection whether broadband or Wireless Data card for 4 months only cos after that I will switch to using my mobile phone for connecting my computer to internet. I don't have my own address proof here yet so that's the main problem in getting my own individual net connection at home. I did get a document from office made showing my address proof but lets see if Airtel will approve it.

I am taking the Home 799 plan so I will have to pay Rs 300 for installation charges, Rs 500 for Modem & 2 months rental (Rs 1,600) in advance. So a total expance of Rs 2,100 but then I won't get any bill for 2 months. Second option is this Data card but I have heard that the speed is usually pathetic on these Data cards. The cards are costly though. Here are the tariff rate of Idea & Airtel. Vodafone has no unlimited net plan available.

Airtel

*img297.imageshack.us/img297/8545/snag0008pm9.png

Idea

*img84.imageshack.us/img84/4410/snag0009hf3.png

So I pay atleast Rs 2,500 for data card with additional charges for unlimited net. Hmm...is it a good option for me??? Can't justify it as I don't have a laptop.

VD17

Journeyman
Well, I'm personally not in favour of data cards. The speeds are frustrating and the prices very high. So in my opinion, broadband would be quite better.

Regarding address proof, see if the letter from your office can be notarized (i'll get you more details on that later if you need cause i don;t exactly know which notary will be closest to you). After that, no company makes a fuss. Although I'm not exactly sure how the whole notary thing works. Reliance asked me to get my lease agreement notarized so i guess that the letter from the office can be notarized as well.
And try to find some airtel bb users in your neighbourhood and ask them about the speeds. The speed varies greatly with locality. My aunt in lajpat nagar - 2 gets nearly 500kbps (whereas her plan is 256) while my friend in GK-I, also on the same plan, gets as low as 100kbps during the day.

ThinkFree

Technomancer
Rather than going for an airtel data card, buy a new airtel mobile connection(one year advance rental Rs.499). On this, you get unlimited data access without any charges for Rs. 499 as against 999 on data card. You can use the same sim in data card as well.

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Rather than going for an airtel data card, buy a new airtel mobile connection(one year advance rental Rs.499). On this, you get unlimited data access without any charges for Rs. 499 as against 999 on data card. You can use the same sim in data card as well.

That's the problem, right now I just have a GPRS enabled K750i, It doesn't have EDGE so won't go for phone method just now.

NikhilVerma

Padawan
As with anything ..... checking in Wikimapia might be more help then you might have thought ;) ... It was my savior during the tough days in bangalore .... People have usually marked all of the popular and important places there

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Yeah but Wikimapina needs a computer with net connection. The way I am, I don't need computers to do my work although it is computing only :D

GPS in Nokia N82 FTW

ThinkFree

Technomancer
That's the problem, right now I just have a GPRS enabled K750i, It doesn't have EDGE so won't go for phone method just now.

But Airtel's site say you can use your existing postpaid connection sim in their usb modem as well. So use mobile office on postpaid connection using airtel usb modem(Rs.2999 or 3350) and save Rs. 500(+taxes) a month

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Finally, my bike will be here by the end of this week. Where in Delhi can I buy good quality branded Helmets. I had a Studds Ninja Helmet in Lucknow, I was hoping to buy something better. Where is the market where Bikers of Delhi go to shop

kumarmohit

Technomancer
Why a new helmet, bike ke saath Ninja bhi magaa le. Unless ofcourse woh toot gaya hai. Delhi mein lete time be careful. Helmets mein duplicacy bahut jada hai

VD17

Journeyman
I think the best place for helmets is near the jhandewalan metro station... just when you descend the metro station, you should see some good helmet shops on the right side (if you're headed towards dwarka)

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
I think the best place for helmets is near the jhandewalan metro station... just when you descend the metro station, you should see some good helmet shops on the right side (if you're headed towards dwarka)

Ok, Will have a look at it today or tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom