Got Confused Which Laptop To Buy??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ganeshkumar

Padawan
Hi

I first decided to buy dell inspiron 6400 for 49k... But the problem arised when i came to know that after 1 year, i could not get service frm them if i am not buying any AMC package....

So tell me can i get service frm outside?

Now i have also other bmodels in my mind.....

ACER 5583 - coming arnd 51.5K
compaq 6315, 6218 - arnd 55k

WHICH ONE TO GO FOR...
I am TOTALLY CONFUSED!!

Dell
1.73GHz
FSB 533MHz
80GB
1GB 667MHz
Home basic
no web cam
15.4"
1yr Onsite

Acer
1.66GHz
FSB 667Mhz
120 GB
1GB 533MHZ
dos
1.3Mp
1 yr (carry in)

Compaq
1.6GHz
FSB 533
120GB
1GB 667MHz
home basic
no web cam
15.4"
1 yr (think carry in)

Any other brand or model to go for?

Help me..

Thanks....:confused:

Last edited:

deepakchan

Troubleshooter
In Dell, you can expand the warranty by 2 yrs by paying some 6k extra while buying the laptop itself. I thought I'll extend the warranty later and now it costs 16k to extend it for 2 yrs. So its better to opt for the extra warranty while buying the laptop itself.

OP
Ganeshkumar

Ganeshkumar

Padawan
No I dont prefer AMC... It is waste for me ... Since anyway my father is going to insure it I dont mind if it fails.. SO my father is tellling it is of waste!

SO deepak How will u get serviced ur laptop, if any prob arises?

Sourabh

Laptoping
Go with the Dell. If you have the budget, seriously consider the option for 3 year Complete Cover! It's worth every rupee in 8k.

Laptops can be repaired by technicians if they fail.

kaustav_geek

1337 |)00|) \m/
What about HP's service ? They have some very good Laptop deals. I'm thinking of going the HP way..So I'm concerned as to how their service will be.. It'd be very helpful if someone could throw some light on the matter.

deepakchan

Troubleshooter
Ganeshkumar said:
No I dont prefer AMC... It is waste for me ... Since anyway my father is going to insure it I dont mind if it fails.. SO my father is tellling it is of waste!

SO deepak How will u get serviced ur laptop, if any prob arises?

Dell's service is by far the best. If you call them before afternoon, in 24 hours the technician is at your place. You need not run around with your laptop to a service center. They have a toll free number 18004258046 which you need to call and register a complaint. They seriously go out of their way to solve your problem. Once they did a telephone diagnosis itself. One other time, there was a problem with a key on my keyboard, next day the technician was at my place with a new keyboard. He just replaced it. No questions asked.

And this is why I said its worth going for the extra 2 year warranty.

Last edited:

amitava82

MMO Addict
I prefer HP.. Hp Laptops are well priced and good looking than Dell. Regarding Customer service, Dell is better i guess coz they come to customer's place as Deepak said. In case of HP you have to go to Service Center. Their Service is also Very good. Once I had a Problem with My DVDRW, so i told them that my DVDRW is not working and i also told that i have scratches on my LCD panel and dead pixels (only one to be honest :grin: ). They replaced Whole top panel of my laptop (LCD+Lid) and DVDRW. now my 8 months old laptop looks brand new. They didn't ask any questions :grin:

Don't go for Acer. their building quality is not good..

deepakchan

Troubleshooter
Instead of the hpCompaq series go for the hp Pavilion series. The quality is top notch and a step above the compaq series. Check out the dv6226 of the hp Pavilion series. Almost similar config of the hp you've given here plus dedicated 256MB graphics card from nvidia and vista home premium for around 57k.

OP
Ganeshkumar

Ganeshkumar

Padawan
deepakchan said:
Dell's service is by far the best. If you call them before afternoon, in 24 hours the technician is at your place. You need not run around with your laptop to a service center. They have a toll free number 18004258046 which you need to call and register a complaint. They seriously go out of their way to solve your problem. Once they did a telephone diagnosis itself. One other time, there was a problem with a key on my keyboard, next day the technician was at my place with a new keyboard. He just replaced it. No questions asked.

And this is why I said its worth going for the extra 2 year warranty.

Thanks...

Ya It seems their service would be best... But problem is that My father dont like Dell when they say that for their product they dont do service if there is no warranty package.... I think for complete support we have to pay nearly 9000rs.
Is anyone outside Dell do service to dell laptop in chennai...? Will spare available outside??
anyway i try to convince my father...!

amitava82 said:
I prefer HP.. Hp Laptops are well priced and good looking than Dell. ....................
Don't go for Acer. their building quality is not good..

I too like ergonomics of HP... But the price margin is arnd 6k for compaq n 8k for HP pavillion....

But.... How is delll build quality??:confused:

deepakchan said:
......Check out the dv6226 of the hp Pavilion series. Almost similar config of the hp you've given here plus dedicated 256MB graphics card from nvidia and vista home premium for around 57k.

Ya it is coming arnd 58.2k including VAT here... But it doesnt have any garphics card ... confirm me!!

Thanks...
Also 1 more thing Is it worth going for Basic system Install in Dell.. Wat is it Deepak?

Last edited:

deepakchan

Troubleshooter
@Ganeshkumar, I think I have answered almost all queries in another post. You can refer that other post in which you have also posted.

I had a Wipro laptop before this, and there was this guy called "ABM Infotech" in Chennai which serviced my Wipro laptop after the warranty was void. And he did a good job. My speakers conked off and he got a new set of speakers which fitted in wipro's slot. So there will be people to take care of your laptop even if you think Dell's post warranty service is costly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom