Google to Reportedly Discontinue Beloved Nexus Device Lineup Next Year!

Empirial

Youngling
Russian blogger Eldar Murtazin said on Twitter that the Nexus line of devices will be discontinued in 2015, replaced instead with a new brand spawned from the current Play Edition family. Google has launched various Play Edition devices this year, including the HTC One, the Samsung Galaxy S4, the LG G Pad 8.3, the Sony Z Ultra and the Motorola Moto G. Essentially these devices run a pure version of Android, with no OEM user interface and bloatware on top. However, these devices aren’t updated directly by Google, but by OEMs, meaning that new Android OS versions first reach Nexus devices, and only later Google Play Edition devices.

Murtazin has not detailed where he received his information from but said in following tweets that new Nexus devices are expected for this year. While the blogger has been accurate with mobile predictions in the past, he has also been wrong before. Interestingly though, Nexus smartphones and tablets may be on a name collision course for 2015, when a Nexus 7 (2015) tablet may be simultaneously launched with a Nexus 7 smartphone – that’s assuming Google’s current naming patterns for its Nexus smartphones and tablets would be kept in place, and that the company would continue to make 7-inch tablets of its own.

In addition to talking about the death of the Nexus family life, Murtazin has tweeted several other bits of information, most of them related to the newly inked Google Samsung cross-licensing patent deal. The blogger said that Samsung will not only get patents for Google, but it will also secure hardware development, hinting that more Google Play Edition Samsung handsets may hit the Google Play Store in the future.

Furthermore, he added that Samsung will stop developing Tizen for smartphones in the future, a decision that it has reportedly taken without being influenced by Google. The blogger also said that TouchWiz will evolve in extra features, that will “be an integral part of future Android versions,” which “others” will pay for – it’s not clear whether he meant that other OEMs will pay to use Samsung TouchWiz features or whether users will have to pay to access some of these features.

Murtazin also said that Google will not be competing against Samsung or any other brand in hardware, and that the company is considering reprofiling Motorola in the future. Finally, Android will be somewhat restricted from use by some companies including Microsoft, which may mean that even if other companies will fork Android, they may not get access to Google’s apps including Google Play Store.

Source : *www.bgr.in/news/google-to-reportedly-discontinue-nexus-lineup-next-year/

Inceptionist

Journeyman
Murtazin also said that Google will not be competing against Samsung or any other brand in hardware, and that the company is considering reprofiling Motorola in the future. Finally, Android will be somewhat restricted from use by some companies including Microsoft, which may mean that even if other companies will fork Android, they may not get access to Google’s apps including Google Play Store.

I may get beaten for this post, but I think this is good decision. Google had already limited the openness of the android, which is noted brilliantly in the last paragraph of this article

Google

While Android is open, it's more of a "look but don't touch" kind of open. You're allowed to contribute to Android and allowed to use it for little hobbies, but in nearly every area, the deck is stacked against anyone trying to use Android without Google's blessing. The second you try to take Android and do something that Google doesn't approve of, it will bring the world crashing down upon you.

If Google wants to control the android with such attitude, I would like to switch over the some different system which offers the features and services I want without being a jerk about it.

I hope after couple of years, I'll be able to buy the phone and then install the OS of my choice, just like PC.

reddick

Mobile Freak
It is sad to hear this , but also a good news as Google may launch next-gen gadgets in the following line :cool:

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Things come. Things go. World goes on.

It wont matter if Nexus lineup is replaced with some other tech. Change is the only constant.
And its better for them to go this way, rather than "killed" by some other competing brand! :p

amjath

Human Spambot
I thinks a good move to save Motorola.

BTW
Furthermore, he added that Samsung will stop developing Tizen for smartphones in the future, a decision that it has reportedly taken without being influenced by Google. The blogger also said that TouchWiz will evolve in extra features, that will “be an integral part of future Android versions,” which “others” will pay for – it’s not clear whether he meant that other OEMs will pay to use Samsung TouchWiz features or whether users will have to pay to access some of these features.

There is something wrong with this guy

lywyre

Cyborg Agent
Recent Motorola developments only suggest that Nexus will continue to be. I don't think Google will ride along with Samsung for long, that will not be good for (Google's) business in the long run.

shohankabir

Right off the assembly line
They shouldn't do it :(. We are Nexus lover..and even love the name NEXUS...Plz Google don't do it...

Top Bottom