Google Launches Free Public DNS Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Google wants to turbo-charge the Internet by providing a public DNS service.

Google is apparently trying to rule the world, offering a multitude of services that seemingly leech out into the Internet like an evil network of roots. There's Google Maps, the mobile Android operating system, the Chrome browser, the Chrome operating system, Google Mail, Google this, Google that.... Google is everywhere.

Now the big "G" wants to offer you a free-to-use, public DNS service according to a report by Google earlier today. Although the company states that the new service plays a small role in its overall scheme to make the web faster (or rather, a plot to rule the Internet), the public DNS resolver is still "experimental." With that said, Google revealed that it's trying a "few different approaches" in achieving that Internet super speed.

Google breaks down its approach in three categories: speed, security, and validity. On the speed issue, Google said that resolver-side cache misses are one of the primary contributors to sluggish DNS responses. Google's DNS implements prefetching before the TTL on a record expires. On the security front, Google said that its public DNS service makes it more difficult for attackers to spoof valid responses.

"We hope that you will help us test these improvements by using the Google Public DNS service today, from wherever you are in the world," the company said. "We plan to share what we learn from this experimental rollout of Google Public DNS with the broader web community and other DNS providers, to improve the browsing experience for Internet users globally."

*www.tomsguide.com/us/Google-DNS-Internet-Browsing-chrome,news-5260.html

tarzan007

Broken In
i personally found OPENDns to be faster than Google. You can check which one performs better for you using this tool

*techpp.com/2009/12/04/which-is-the-fastest-dns-google-dns-or-opendns/

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
4.2.2.2 and 4.2.2.1 are what I use. I find them to be the fastest.

hotshot05

I luv Digit
I will stick with OpenDNS.

I don't really trust Google but still use Gmail(since all other email sites are no match for it).

amol48

Searching...
i personally found OPENDns to be faster than Google. You can check which one performs better for you using this tool

*techpp.com/2009/12/04/which-is-the-fastest-dns-google-dns-or-opendns/

For gods sake can someone please give this guy a warning! EVERY link he posts points to this site only!

j1n M@tt

Cyborg Agent
IMO bsnl on OpenDNS sux! had a lot of problem when they first implemented it on WLL connections as experimental. They literally blocked every site that is useful at that time!

btw 8.8.8.8 is faster, just checked it out now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom