Google kills of ADT plugin of Eclipse

HBK007

Journeyman
So it seems like Google wants developers to use Android Studio and forget about Eclipse and it's ADT plugin.
Source: ZDNet
Google announced on Tuesday that after two years of work, it is finally ready to release its IntelliJ-based integrated development environment (IDE), Android Studio, to the wider world with its 1.0 release.

While Android Studio will generally offer a better experience for Android developers than the traditional Eclipse development used, the kicker for developers wedded to Eclipse is the discontinuation of the Android Developer Tools (ADT) plugin for Eclipse that integrates a number of Android tools into the IDE.

"The ADT plugin for Eclipse is no longer in active development," Google's developer website said. "If you're currently using it, you should migrate to Android Studio as soon as possible."

While the abandonment of ADT is a questionable state of affairs for Eclipse aficionados, in my opinion, compared to Eclipse, Android Studio will offer developers a Gradle build environment and an improved user interface designer, as well as a better memory monitor and improved string translation editor. As always with these recommendations, your mileage may vary.

When Android Studio was unveiled in May last year, I wrote on TechRepublic: "Eclipse may try, but it cannot keep up with Visual Studio, or even XCode. The Eclipse Foundation, which includes Google, has had well over a decade to make Eclipse a worthy IDE, but it suffers under its own weight."

In the 18 months since, I have seen no reason to change that opinion.

Similar to Chrome, Google will offer Android Studio in four flavours, or development channels: Canary for bleeding-edge weekly updates; Dev for fortnight to monthly updates; Beta channel for what it says on the tin; and the Stable channel, which every user is defaulted to.

Developers can download Android Studio 1.0 now.
Engadgetalso reports:
In early 2013, Google announced Android Studio, a WYSIWYG environment that'd help you create Android applications with a lot less hassle. Now, the company is finally ready to put Version 1.0 into the hands of would-be creators across the world. The package comes with plenty of helpful templates for the first-time developer, including example media recorders, notification systems and even an instant messaging platform. Given that Android is now found almost anywhere (phones, tablets, smartwatches, TV, Google Glass and cars), the software enables you to tailor the experience across every device. Fans of GitHub are also catered to, since Android Studio will let you import samples of code from the online repository straight into your project. So, now that the tools to build your own app are this readily available, what sort of app are you planning to build?

OP
H

HBK007

Journeyman
Title should be Android Studio finally out of beta. :D It was10 time better even in beta.
Yeah few would argue with that. But there are still quite a few who loved eclipse and don't want to go through the hassle of changing over to android studio.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
I find it very problematic with Gradle. Though I know gradle is there to make our life easy, but many things are broken and surprisingly doesn't works. While in Eclipse with ADT, it works fine.

Top Bottom