Google Android OS and Mobile Discussion Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

m-jeri

Caballero de Real Madrid
Hey...

This is said as the next big thing in mobile..so i think it deserves a thread and since no one have started one on this amazing OS and OS based mobiles...Here goes..

Here is the G1 specs...

- Touch Screen
- Full Qwerty keyboard
- 3G/ WiFi
- Full HTML internet capabilities
- Easy access to all Google applications (Gmail, Gtalk, search)
- Maps
- Street view
- You Tube
- Phone
- IM/Text
- Email
- Camera 3.0mp
- Video (playback only, no recording)
- Music player & 1GB memory card pre-loaded
- Applications, all available in Google marketplace (icon on the homescreen)

One-click Google search and easy access to all Google Applications - Quick and easy access to the Internet in one click. One touch access to Google applications:
Maps (including satellite, traffic and street views)
Gmail
YouTube
Calendar
Google Talk

Size–4.6 x 2.16 x 0.63 in
Weight–5.6 ounces
Display–65K color screen, HVGA (480×320)
Talk Time–5 hours
Standby Time–130 hours

Expandable up to 8 gig memory…

No stereo bluetooth.

Gmail account required to sign in and use, no corporate access email available.

There is a required data plan associated with this device; it will not work without the data plan active, sorry no prepay.

GPS is confirmed. No video capture. 3.1 mp camera.

Preorder price is an apparently confirmed $199 (following an instant rebate) and will be billed to customers’ accounts; an $18 upgrade fee will also be charged. A new 2-year contract will be required, together with an unlimited data plan similar to that on the iPhone. T-Mobile will offer two such plans, one at $35 providing unlimited data & messaging, and a cheaper $25 plan that includes 400 messages. As rumored, customers will also need a GMail account in order to set up the phone

and there is a plan for 179$ too...

source : *www.engadget.com/2008/09/23/t-mobiles-g1-gets-release-date-and-pricing/

Last edited by a moderator:

alter_ego

Who me??
Re: Google Andriod OS and Mobile Discussion Thread...

Phone certainly looks impressive though 65k color is a disappointment.

However, I love anything Google does, keep us updated on its likely launch in India. Any clue on its media playing capabilities (formats etc.) ?? Will Google port its (Yummy!) Chrome browser in future releases. The mere thought of this is exciting:p.

Pat

Beyond Smart

Supports DRM-free AAC,WMA and MP3 formats..Not sure about video formats! It already has a mobile-friendly Chrome browser or "Chrome Lite" as the guy put it!

Hmmm... since its linux, I was hoping for some kind of FFMPEG engine to play most of the formats existing today. Does it have that ?

Edit: And yeah, shouldn't this be in the opensource section ?

OP
m-jeri

m-jeri

Caballero de Real Madrid

Phone certainly looks impressive though 65k color is a disappointment.

However, I love anything Google does, keep us updated on its likely launch in India. Any clue on its media playing capabilities (formats etc.) ?? Will Google port its (Yummy!) Chrome browser in future releases. The mere thought of this is exciting:p.

they are already in discussion with airtel and voda...damn hope they wont repeat iphone pricing....

OP
m-jeri

m-jeri

Caballero de Real Madrid

Supports DRM-free AAC,WMA and MP3 formats..Not sure about video formats! It already has a mobile-friendly Chrome browser or "Chrome Lite" as the guy put it!

it sure will support a host of formats.... sure hope so...

^^My Question ? Shouldn't this have been in the OpenSource section ? :confused:

well... yeas... but isnt andriod a mobile OS..and G1 is making it famous... and...

ppl visit mobile section too much..so more involved in the discussion...

Last edited:

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero

T-Mobile Google Android G1 event, we’re live!

Pathik

Google Bot

Cos the thread mainly discusses the TMobile G1 which is a mobile phone and also as Android is a mobile OS. And Android isnt fully open source yet.

alter_ego

Who me??

^^ +1

Coming back to the topic, has anyone tried Openmoko's Neo FreeRunner. It made a very quiet debut, I must say. India is the only Asian country where this gadget is available. Would be intresting if someone compares it with Google phone. Is it worth paying so much (for Moko-FreeRunner)?

Pat

Beyond Smart

^^From what I have seen in the videos, it is pathetically slow/unusable and not worth the premium it demands.

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!

i am quite dissapointed with this phone...its not as good as expected...

tgpraveen

Simpsons rox

just one word:-

HIGHLY DISAPPOINTED

ok, i knw that was like 2 words.

OP
m-jeri

m-jeri

Caballero de Real Madrid

^^^
the design or the S/w ???

the design pretty much sucks

Pat

Beyond Smart

There is a lot of scope of improvement as far as design is concerned. However, there is one thing that I just realised. There will be no video player (except for youtube) on G1 by default. How lame is that ?

OP
m-jeri

m-jeri

Caballero de Real Madrid

... why every phone is released with achilles feet...

alter_ego

Who me??

The beauty of this OS will be the ability to get customized and create application on top of that. Hence video playback should'nt be a problem in future releases.

What we have seen till now is just the first commercial release bundled with Google applications trust vendors to come out with more innovations. Also lack of corporate mail support is just the part of evolution. At the moment it lacks the faff of an iPhone but then it was never positioned to be an iPhone killer. Trust Google to set things right:).

tgpraveen

Simpsons rox

^^^
the design or the S/w ???

the design pretty much sucks

BOTH.

design is obviously not anything gr or revolutionary like the iphone (which i dislkied until this came out and disappointed me)

well the design can be forgotten(if not forgiven) and i can look to the os but even taht is a letdown. in it's current form lacks a lot of things like no a2dp,no video recording, no bluetooth file transfer, not really that open.

i guess we need a gr8 phone design and a lot of improvements to the os REAL FAST.

after this phoen ahs come out i have started to admire the apple iphone given that it came out so long ago and still ppl are able to beat it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom