Good music phone = Mobile store exchange??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
My friend owns a K750i which is 5 months old.Now he saw the advertisement of the mobile store & he wants to exchange K750i for a new Nokia 5310 XM.

So we went to mobile store & enquired about it.The guy told us you will get Rs.3000 less on Nokia 5310.That is 5310 for Rs.7.5K.

I told him that convert the phone to W800i as disscussed in this forum.But he is very keen on buying it.

His priority is music & not camera.I told him don't go for 5310 stay with your K750i.I will help him to convert it in w800i.But he says 5310 XM must be good in terms of music.He is very stubborn on his decision.

What should i tell him?Also i told him don't look at other models like W810i,W700i.

He doesn't want a Symbian phone or linux one so don't suggest rokr E6 or nokia 5700.
Plz suggest a good music phone having java.

He told me to prove it so i posted it here,so i can show this to him. :)

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
If its only music he's interested in, then he's got the whole community behind him to help him convert K750i to W800i! The only things he'll miss in there are A2DP and Edge.

He can get a larger memory card (if he doesn't haf one rite now) and buy HPM70 or any other equivalent or better headset and enjoy music in his "newly" flashed Walkman phone! :)

I'd suggest him to go in for a new phone only if he needs A2DP or edge. Why spend money on something which he "already has"?? :)

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
First convert his K750i to W800i. Then let him try out the 5310. If he thinks 5310's music is better, let him buy it. Or else keep the K750i.

OP
Cool G5

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
@Aniruddha - He doesn't need A2DP & he can also let go EDGE.He has 64MB card.I suggested him go for 1GB.

@Krazyfrog - Where can i get 5310 to try?

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
Cool G5 said:
@Krazyfrog - Where can i get 5310 to try?
You buy it and let him try it out
:D.
Actually i've no idea. Maybe if someone else like a friend or relative has it, then he can check it out. He'll have to wait for it though cause the phone is still new. Another idea will be to wait for GSMArena or Mobile-Review to review it. Their sound tests will give him some idea.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
@Cool G5
Obviously you can't get to try the N5310 unless someone buys it and gives it to you for a few dayz to try out. Plus to compare it wid his "W750i" he'll need to flash it. So ask him to give it a try. He loses nothing in flashing his cell. He's not paying for it anyways. If someone has HPM70, then it can be lent to him for a day or two to try out.

I dunno if its only me (and I've said this before), but I feel except N91 no other phone from Nokia has the kind of ouput of a walkman phone. Added to it you also get Megabass.

PS: Btw, there's no extra 'd' and 'a' in my name. Its Anirudh :)

Pathik

Google Bot
If its just Music and Storage he wants then u can also consider a n91 8gb wit good ear buds.
btw krazy,infra how is the bass of w800??

@coolg5 maybe u can try croma

Last edited:
OP
Cool G5

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
@Pathiks - i suggested him N91 but he doesn't want a symbian phone.
He wants only java.

Sorry for spelling your name incorrect Anirudh. :)

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
@pathiks
W800i is the granddaddy of all walkman phones :)

@Cool G5
Looking at all the requirements you posted I think its an utter waste of money to sell this phone and buy a new one.

OP
Cool G5

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
@Infra_red_dude - I was also saying him that it's waste of money & nothing else.Besides he uses only 128kbps mp3's for listening[You get the idea ;)].

And how is W810i in compared to W800?
Also you said W800 is granddaddy of all walkman phones,then does the newer W910,960i,610 etc sound poor in comparison to W800i

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Cool G5 said:
And how is W810i in compared to W800?
Also you said W800 is granddaddy of all walkman phones,then does the newer W910,960i,610 etc sound poor in comparison to W800i

W810i is better then W800 is all respects

Grand daddy means in terms of age as W800 was the first ever walkman branded phone from SE. Music quality of subsequent generation phones are always better then before.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
W810i = W800i + EDGE + Black colour - Joystick

By grand-daddy I meant that W800i started the era of walkman phones. I don't feel any difference in audio quality in W800i/W810i/W610i/W950i/W700i. No difference at all. These are the only walkman phones I've personally heard to. The newer phones haf Walkman 2.0 wid album art etc.

BTW, ask him to encode the songs at 128kbps AAC (M4A container) instead of MP3 to enjoy much better quality. Guess he's not making optimum use of the resources at his disposal.

Last edited:
OP
Cool G5

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
@Anirudh - Have you got experience of the newest Walkman 3 phones?
Which is the cheapest walkman 3 phone?

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
From what i've read the Walkman phones with the best sound quality so far have been W900i and W950i. Also in the review of W910i on mobile-review, Eldar Murtazin says that Walkman phones lose when it comes to sound quality compared to the newer Xpress Music phones and the Samsung phones.

@pathik bass in W800i is good, but it distorts at high volumes. However in my W710i, they've changed that and now the bass does not distort at high volumes. That is because they've reduced the amount of bass at high volume compared to older Walkman phones. Also in my phone they've also changed the way stereo widening works compared to older phones such as W550i. The player itself is a bit different in my phone. It is an intermediate between Walkman 1 and Walkman 2 (referred to as Walkman 1.4 once in mobile-review) and W710i is probably the only phone to have it.

Pathik

Google Bot
Wat!! XM defeats Walkman series! Ll hav to see that review..
Also i hv heard that they r reducing the bass at high volumes in walkman 3.0 for ear safety

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
^^ That page is nearly useless. From the music capability onwards everything is Russian. We'll have to wait for the properly translated version on M-R english page.

2kewl

Sangeet Premi
Try here!

"Loudness in the head sets is sufficient, apparatus sounds rather well, although subjectively to it now and then does not be sufficient the depth of sound. Of maximum loudness it is sufficient for the majority of situations. Sound is not compared with Nokia N91 or Samsung i450, but it is completely acceptable, it is located on the level of rule Samsung Beatz, it wins in Sony Ericsson Walkman (not for all compositions, but preponderance is, as a whole this solution better)."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom