good looking with good mileage bike in 50-55k

truegenius

UNPREDICTABLE
hey there
i want to purchase a bike in festive season which should have good sporty looks, mileage and pickup ,
which will serve me good for atleast 5 years my budget is of Rs50,000 to 55,000
currently i am thinking for Honda CB Twister 110cc with self start and disc brake
though i have read some peoples comments that there is some gear problem in it, problem with
open chain, problematic to get good milage
does it really have some proboem like this or its just people not able to maintain it ?
and thus overall i want to know how it will be for me ?

btw i am looking for white color like this
*i2.wp.com/www.iamabiker.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/honda-cb-twister-review-handling-and-braking.jpg

Last edited:

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Hey!!!
Me too looking forward to buy one in this festive season. :)

By the way, Twister costs little more than your budget. Even the drum variant itself costs more than 55k on road. Self variant would be around 60k.

That "sporty look" in this budget is not possible unless your definition of that is so conservative. Max you will get a bikini fairing and some sporty stickering in a self/alloy/drum variant (yes you read it right, "no disc" in this budget), not more than that. Don't expect side cowl, engine cowl and all.

Bajaj - Discover 100M - Probably sportiest in the lot.
Hero - I better pass it...
Honda - Neo. Reviews suggests the most refined engine.
Star City + - Sounds good to me.
Yamaha - One of the above three should do it. If not, you can check out YBR110

ashs1

Padawan
Honda twister with disc brakes won't be priced under 55k...afaik, twister is a reasonably good bike.. Great looks with decent mileage.. But,Yeah.. Based on the budget, I think bajaj discover would be the safest bet. Its looks might not be as good as twister, but you'll be getting better kmpl.

OP
truegenius

truegenius

UNPREDICTABLE
sorry but i forgot to mention that i will be buying it though canteen thus it will cost 5-10k less :D
btw price is adjustable a little if it worth it and i think twister worth it

i visited a nearest honda showroom, and cost of highest end twister was Rs50885 ( ex showroom ) , (Rs55858 with registration, insurance, hsrp, smart card and logistic ) ( and Rs58918 with additional accessories, helmet , extended warrenty )
so overall more or less it will be in my budget
though twister wasn't available there ( out of stock since 2 months ) and thus i don't know how a factory shipped twister looks ( specially its stock tyres )

sporty look to me is a bike with stylish looking tank, with fins to add style ( not too big like stunner ) and the seat should not look like some family bike's seat :p ( like passion or splendor )
in short you can say sporty look is directly proportional to twister :D ( twister love i think )

though i am also concerned by some bad reviews of mileage, gear and chain, what do you guys think about these reviews/issues ?

( and also concerned about thin rear tyre
currently i only have a cycle :p ( avon rough rider ) but it have 2.35" wide tyres with great grip and i frequently lock its tyre during braking and then tryes slides a bit but remains easily controlable and used to bend a lot while cornering and it becomes a habbit
but tyre of twister looks thin and not so grippy and i doubt that i may slip :/
though i think that it can be reslolved by replacing its tyres to wider and with more grip, but it may affect its performance of mileage )

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Ok, personally I don't like the look of Twister. Of course, the look thing is very subjective. It varies from person to person. Going by your definition of "sporty look", there is no other bikes in this price range. It's the only one... But...

Honda didn't even sell a single Twister last month and only very few hundred the month before. Probably they have stopped the production, may be they are working on upgraded model or Twister is getting a new face lift or something.

Though it looks like a sporty bike, it performs more like a commuter. Slim tyre is one more thing.

The next stop is Yamaha SS125.

Going by the look, I like Hero Ignitor. But it's pricey, I think it's worthy. Read reviews, see if you think it's worth the extra money.

OP
truegenius

truegenius

UNPREDICTABLE
^ i live in delhi and got around 38 showrooms :p so i won't mind to pay visit to all of them or showrooms of gurgaon ;)
if they are planning for an upgrade then they should do it before diwali :(

i checked the bikes listed by you and yamaha ss125 tried to look like sporty but others look old styled, though i can see the old fashion in ss125 too , and the closest contender i see is only pulser 135 but to me it still doesn't look as good as twister thus cb twister is the only choice i have

after searching the google and reading tons of pages of reviews and discusion i found that the issues like low mileage are generally due to user's driving style a d does occurs in other bikes too and gear problem becomes less after riding more ( my cycle also used to give gear slip, but after fine tunning it works like a charm )

and last concern of mine , the thin tyre
can you tell me if it would void warrenty if i install a wider tire of something like 100mm wide ( something like pulser 135's tyre ) ( instead of stock 80mm ) within 1 month or after run-in period ?

( trye will cost only around 2000 which does worth the price for the added look a d safety )

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Front tyre is even smaller (70mm).
I don't think it would void your warranty, better ask them before doing it.

Why before diwali? Is there any offer for the festive season?

OP
truegenius

truegenius

UNPREDICTABLE
front won't matter much, even pulser 135 have 70mm front.
i will enquire them about changing of rear tyre

my parents thinks that it will be better to buy something new in festive season, and diwali is not too far thus i agreed to them
though showroom person said that there will be no offer on diwali

nac

Aspiring Novelist
80mm in the rear is fine, I think. Pretty much all the models in this range have that tyre, even Honda Shine.

OP
truegenius

truegenius

UNPREDICTABLE
^ yes 80mm is common in this range, and shine too have 80mm and 80mm look suficient for them, though 80mm does not suit to the look of twister to some extent

i also asked some twister owners in my place, and they said that it is a great bike, i indeed saw 3 guys (i think it is called tripli ) on a white twister with stock tyre , though it wasn't looking skinny at all, i also compared that trye to mine rough rider's :p

and a bad news, i enquired another showroom and they said that there will be no twister now because they stop producing it, and that showroom had 1 in grey color which will be sold much soon than diwali :'(

*cdn.alltheragefaces.com/img/faces/png/sad-forever-alone-happy.png

why ? why always me ? no love ( twister ) for me :'(

*i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/150/505/f30fd24c56e1bcfc926883d6a51d5a00.gif

nac

Aspiring Novelist
:( So what's the idea, if not Twister... I think it's better to get something else for this diwali...

OP
truegenius

truegenius

UNPREDICTABLE
:'( it is very difficult for me :( i have to think upon it
i will call all showroom and will find twister else i may increase budget for something like trigger or discover 150 or ss125 in around same budget

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Trigger will cost north of 70k. Other two costs around 65k (it will be under 60k as you bought from the canteen). Did you check Ignitor? (did you say you don't like it?)

OP
truegenius

truegenius

UNPREDICTABLE
yes i checked igniter but its fins ( wings at the side of fuel tank ) is not my style
it looks like stunner's fins ( small though )
so i ignored igniter

cheapest trigger costs 73k on road, and some more saving by canteen thus it seems within manageable parameter by requesting my parents
though first i will try to hunt down twister ( if i didn't find white color then i will choose from other color which i will found ) i am optimistic about this because of my place that is delhi, either here or no where ;)

btw, you also wanted to buy one trigger, what will you do now ? is it still available near your place ?

nac

Aspiring Novelist
No no... I didn't want to buy trigger or twister. That's a lot more than my budget. What I meant was "me too looking to buy one (a bike)", not a Twister specifically.

I am looking for a bike costs around 50k which seems to be the starting range for bikes with alloy wheels. So the reason for having 50k as budget. To say it simple, I am looking for a basic commuter bike.

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
What about Honda Shine??

i got the chance to drive it few days back and i was very very surprised by its performance. you'll get 50kmpl easy.

the bike is VERY VERY smooth to ride. not like the TVS apache.. that feels like you're sitting on a big a$$ vibrator :evil:

and i guess the onroad price for the shine is ~55k.

OP
truegenius

truegenius

UNPREDICTABLE
yes shine drum version cost near 55k onroad ( 56k to be exact in delhi )
I am having fight with my younger brother on this shine vs twister debate ever since i announced to buy a motorcycle :p

but shine doesn't look sporty with fins and aggressive styling thus its old looking which is why i am not considering it

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
IMO, the Shine has good enough looks for a standard streetbike.

only, the riding posture is awkward, like splendor and other similar bikes, which WILL lead to back pains if ridden for long periods of time.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
yes shine drum version cost near 55k onroad ( 56k to be exact in delhi )
I am having fight with my younger brother on this shine vs twister debate ever since i announced to buy a motorcycle :p

but shine doesn't look sporty with fins and aggressive styling thus its old looking which is why i am not considering it

Which fins ?

OP
truegenius

truegenius

UNPREDICTABLE
those extra metal parts on both side of tank which are adding style ( in the pic pf twister above ) ( i don't know what to call them so used fin/wings word :D )

Top Bottom